ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very cheap digital mixer  (Read 2112 times)

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
Very cheap digital mixer
« on: March 29, 2018, 12:28:04 pm »

Looking to replace a Behringer 1204 with a digital mixer with tablet control.   Use is family get togethers with some people noodling guitars and a couple of residential patio gigs for a local historical group. Cables are a PITA for these.

Anything less expensive than a Behringer XR12?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Opinions are like belly buttons.  Everybody has one, but not all are suitable for public display.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Very cheap digital mixer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 12:31:35 pm »

Cheaper than Behringer?  ::)

Does it need to actually work?

JR
On the internet people tell you everything "they" know, not the answer to "your" question.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 12:48:01 pm »

Cheaper than Behringer?  ::)

Does it need to actually work?

JR

Right - this.

There is probably NOTHING on the market cheaper than the XR series with anything close to its capabilities and small footprint. What are the XR12's now - just over $200? A few years back nothing even existed that sounded remotely decent for that money. I have a XR18 and it really is a cool little box that does the job well for the money.
Are you sure a little analog wouldn't work for your needs even with the PITA cabling? Analog mixers are so silly inexpensive now that you'd get something quite good for cheap money. If however you are set on tablet mixing - the XR it is.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Pluke

• BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 02:56:25 pm »

Anything less expensive than a Behringer XR12?

Nope!  And, as others have hinted, I'd be nervous about anything priced lower.

Soundcraft's Ui12 is comparable, but runs $300 street price.  Maybe the DigiTech guitar effects on inputs 1 & 2 would justify the additional "expense"?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 03:59:57 pm »

Right - this.

There is probably NOTHING on the market cheaper than the XR series with anything close to its capabilities and small footprint. What are the XR12's now - just over $200? A few years back nothing even existed that sounded remotely decent for that money. I have a XR18 and it really is a cool little box that does the job well for the money.
Are you sure a little analog wouldn't work for your needs even with the PITA cabling? Analog mixers are so silly inexpensive now that you'd get something quite good for cheap money. If however you are set on tablet mixing - the XR it is.

I donít understand a mixer without wires. You gotta cable the power, inputs and outputs. Just like an analog mixer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 05:18:16 pm »

I donít understand a mixer without wires. You gotta cable the power, inputs and outputs. Just like an analog mixer.

Yup.  But I can keep all but one power cable in a small space.  More to stop the death stares from my cousins than anything.

XR12 it will be then.  I used an XR18 with one cover band and liked it.  Have they made the onboard WIFI usable?

Opinions are like belly buttons.  Everybody has one, but not all are suitable for public display.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 05:38:48 pm »

Yup.  But I can keep all but one power cable in a small space.  More to stop the death stares from my cousins than anything.

XR12 it will be then.  I used an XR18 with one cover band and liked it.  Have they made the onboard WIFI usable?

No

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 05:44:49 pm »

Still 2.4ghz... I use it all the time when I am messing around at home but would never trust it for a show. Use an inexpensive external router.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Riley Casey

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 10:11:10 pm »

Snakes are heavy, bulky and labor intensive.  Wifi is none of that.  Only trade off is that the snake still works when the audience starts to light up their Facebook pages.  We use iPad control routinely for set up especially for monitors, and we always have a computer hardwired to the wifi router to still have control during the show.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 06:03:49 pm »

We put a 1/2 wave TP link on our XR18 and the internal WiFi has been quite reliable.  I can't recall a dropout. The stock 1/4 wave antenna just does not cut it.
The owner tells me his XR18 does not like the sun, however.  With the small package, heat becomes a big issue outdoors.  Can't speak to the XR12...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 07:10:32 pm »

Ironically I saw a band last week that was using what looked like an XR16 with a half wave antenna attached.

frank kayser

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 10:46:26 pm »

Ironically I saw a band last week that was using what looked like an XR16 with a half wave antenna attached.

Further irony - I thought I broke the antenna at the last gig.  I ordered two replacements (cheap <$8.00 ea) and come to find out the antenna was not broken off after all.  Now we have a backup to the spare, and of course, the original.  I think we're set for the life of the mixer :-\ .
frank

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 07:27:36 am »

We put a 1/2 wave TP link on our XR18 and the internal WiFi has been quite reliable.  I can't recall a dropout.

The problem isn't range or signal strength though.  The internal wireless can only deal with four devices at a time.  If you are in a room with a load of phones all trying to connect to anything available, when you lose connection, something else will take your place in the queue and you will be unlikely to connect again, regardless of how strong the signal is.

You have probably been lucky in not having a disconnection.

Steve.

frank kayser

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 02:09:19 pm »

The problem isn't range or signal strength though.  The internal wireless can only deal with four devices at a time.  If you are in a room with a load of phones all trying to connect to anything available, when you lose connection, something else will take your place in the queue and you will be unlikely to connect again, regardless of how strong the signal is.

You have probably been lucky in not having a disconnection.

Steve.
Ah. Guess I need a backup plan besides two backup antennae.  Luck lasts but so long.
I appreciate the caution and the reasoning, Steve.

frank

Steve M Smith

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 04:00:32 pm »

I would also never run it without a hard wired option as backup. I always have a laptop connected and often an X-Touch as well.

Steve.

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 05:06:31 pm »

We put a 1/2 wave TP link on our XR18 and the internal WiFi has been quite reliable.  I can't recall a dropout. The stock 1/4 wave antenna just does not cut it.
The owner tells me his XR18 does not like the sun, however.  With the small package, heat becomes a big issue outdoors.  Can't speak to the XR12...
Something else to consider.   Half wave antennae are cheap to try.

After checking prices with Mike Pyle I went with the Ui12 instead. 

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 09:25:39 pm »

I would also never run it without a hard wired option as backup. I always have a laptop connected and often an X-Touch as well.

Steve.
+1
This right here! I went without a wired connection once. Once was all it took to learn the lesson. Now whenever I have the XR18 or X32R out I have a laptop connected via copper. 
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Steve M Smith

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 04:29:29 am »

The first couple of times I used mine, the laptop was the only means of control. I thought I would hate mixing with a laptop and a mouse, but I didnít.

Steve.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 12:16:31 pm »

The first couple of times I used mine, the laptop was the only means of control. I thought I would hate mixing with a laptop and a mouse, but I didnít.

Even better is when you can have a real knob connected to your laptop:
https://griffintechnology.com/us/lp/powermate-controller/powermate

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 01:42:02 pm »

I take my little hard wire kit every show - camera adaptor/usb and powered hub to use with one of my iPads just in case. Never had to use it yet!
However, for the first couple of years of using iPad remote mixing, I could get away with keeping the router in my rack case but over past year or 2 as wifi traffic has increased, more often than not I have to raise up the router using a mic boom stand. Still never had to resort to hard wire - YET.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.