ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: deep blue LED?  (Read 6599 times)

Ed Ring

deep blue LED?
« on: March 24, 2018, 03:39:03 PM »

New here . . . searched, but didn't find an answer, so asking:

Using a dozen Chauvet SlimPar ProH (RGBAW-UV) fixtures, but can't seem to get the deep colors I'm looking for:

Red - want Roscolux 027, but getting something with a bit more orange than I want
Green - want Roscolux 091, but getting something with more yellow
Blue - want Roscolux 382, but getting something lighter/brighter
Purple - want Roscolux 059, but can't seem to quite get there . . . the UV color is very close, but it also adds the whole 'black light' effect, which is not always desired.

All RGB settings are full-on (255), with only the R, or G, or B emitters active (except for the purple, duh).

Is it my color mixing?  The LEDs themselves?  I see the colors I want in, say, certain Martin fixtures (and others) . . . is there a difference in the LEDs being used?  Suggestions?

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: deep blue LED?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 03:57:16 PM »

Ed, welcome to the world of LED lighting.  You will find it very hard to duplicate the full range of gels that work so well with incandescent lighting.  The individual led emitter color is a very narrow spectrum, so there are limits to how the individual R,G,B, A, W, and UV leds can combine to produce colors.  I'm not trying to disparage Chauvet or other lower cost LED light fixture suppliers.  Usually you will have to spend a lot more to get a broader range of colors, and even then not every gel color will be available to the best of my knowledge.  It's the physics of light.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 04:20:51 PM »

The RGBALime fixtures from Chauvet Professional and ETC may get you there (or a lot closer,anyway).  Stay in the same brand for more consistant color on stage. I.e., don't mix Chauvet Pro and ETC fixtures. We found that out the hard way....
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 04:29:46 PM »

The RGBALime fixtures from Chauvet Professional and ETC may get you there (or a lot closer,anyway).  Stay in the same brand for more consistant color on stage. I.e., don't mix Chauvet Pro and ETC fixtures. We found that out the hard way....

That's a good point Mark.  Additionally, the lower to cost of the fixture, the greater the variation in colors from batch to batch.  I've purchased some lights that I really liked the color and bought more a few months later.  When sent exactly the same DMX signal (or set manually) there was a noticeable difference in some colors.

John Fruits

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 04:57:45 PM »

Congo Blue has always been a problem.  With incandescent lights it has a transmission of 1%, and you had to replace it frequently.
With the ETC Colorsource fixtures, the design goal was better pastels for front lighting.  Since there was a desire for similar fixtures that were better at the deeper blues they came out with another fixture, the Deep Blue model.  With the recently released Colorsource Cyc, they came up with the RGBALI model with both Blue and Indigo emitters.  In other ETC news, after testing, they have extended the warranty on MOST of the LED fixtures (the 4WRD isn't included) to 5 years for the full fixture and 10 years for the LED arrays. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 10:30:18 PM »

New here . . . searched, but didn't find an answer, so asking:

Using a dozen Chauvet SlimPar ProH (RGBAW-UV) fixtures, but can't seem to get the deep colors I'm looking for:

Red - want Roscolux 027, but getting something with a bit more orange than I want
Green - want Roscolux 091, but getting something with more yellow
Blue - want Roscolux 382, but getting something lighter/brighter
Purple - want Roscolux 059, but can't seem to quite get there . . . the UV color is very close, but it also adds the whole 'black light' effect, which is not always desired.

All RGB settings are full-on (255), with only the R, or G, or B emitters active (except for the purple, duh).

Is it my color mixing?  The LEDs themselves?  I see the colors I want in, say, certain Martin fixtures (and others) . . . is there a difference in the LEDs being used?  Suggestions?
Have you tried adding small amounts of other colors to the primary color of interest to get what you want? Sometimes it takes that kind of experimenting to tweak the colors.
Scott Hofmann

Ed Ring

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 02:28:13 AM »

Ed, welcome to the world of LED lighting.  You will find it very hard to duplicate the full range of gels that work so well with incandescent lighting.  The individual led emitter color is a very narrow spectrum, so there are limits to how the individual R,G,B, A, W, and UV leds can combine to produce colors.  I'm not trying to disparage Chauvet or other lower cost LED light fixture suppliers.  Usually you will have to spend a lot more to get a broader range of colors, and even then not every gel color will be available to the best of my knowledge.  It's the physics of light.

Thanks for taking time to reply!  I kinda figured that the higher cost LED fixtures would have better color capability, and I totally get the 'hard to duplicate gels' thing . . . just hadn't found anything (until I asked here!) to confirm that.  I'll keep tweaking and experimenting . . .

Ed Ring

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 02:33:12 AM »

Have you tried adding small amounts of other colors to the primary color of interest to get what you want? Sometimes it takes that kind of experimenting to tweak the colors.

Thanks for the reply!  Yes, I've tried lots of combinations, but certainly haven't tried everything yet.  Was hoping there were some secret formulas I hadn't hit on yet . . . guess the 'secret' is to buy higher-quality fixtures.  No real surprise there, I guess . . . just don't have the budget for that, so guess I'll muddle along and do the best I can.

Thanks again for taking time to reply . . .

Ed Ring

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 02:41:47 AM »

Thanks for the caution on not mixing brands (makes sense) . . . I was about to order some ETC ColorSource fixtures to try! Should have mentioned that all my stuff is static . . . I don't have rigging to support movers . . . and the only RGBALime fixtures I saw on Chauvet's site were house lights (too big) and movers.  But thanks for the tip . . . I'll look for RGBALime options in the future.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 10:07:15 AM »

Hi Ed,

I'll just throw in too that Elation is also coming out with a SevenPar Series that adds Lime to their already successful SixPar Series.  I'd still expect ETC's offering to be superior, but if size/cost/IP65 is a concern they might be worth a look too.  For what it's worth I'm a huge fan of the SlimPar Pro fixtures, but there's a reason why they're only 10-20% the cost of the ETC products!  Good luck!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 10:07:15 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.