ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: deep blue LED?  (Read 6602 times)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: deep blue LED?
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 03:17:29 PM »

Chauvet Pro has a line of zoom wash fixed instruments (COLORada) in RGBAL. Bright but heavy. But they replace three or more fresnal fixtures, so not so bad overall. Their RGBAL elipsoidal fixture is a SourceFour clone - S4 barrels interchange with ETC.

The new Indigo lights mentioned above sound pretty cool as wash lighting.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 11:18:29 PM »

The variance in similar LEDs is directly related to cost.
They actually measure the accuracy and separate them.
This is called binning, and the cheaper the fixture, the looser the bin.
You can get a fairly wide variance IN THE SAME FIXTURE!
The high end lights pretty much guarantee consistency fixture to fixture.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Ed Ring

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 08:55:26 AM »

Chauvet Pro has a line of zoom wash fixed instruments (COLORada) in RGBAL. Bright but heavy. But they replace three or more fresnal fixtures, so not so bad overall. Their RGBAL elipsoidal fixture is a SourceFour clone - S4 barrels interchange with ETC.

The new Indigo lights mentioned above sound pretty cool as wash lighting.

Yeah, I saw those . . . a bit too large/heavy for what I need (stand-based one-off shows for a local cover band).  This was my first foray into LED lighting . . . just trying to understand what questions to ask in the future so I can get closer to what I want.

May yet try some of the ColorSource Deep Blues . . . might just be a slightly less expensive alternative to 'real' wash lights.   

Thanks for the reply!!

Ed Ring

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 09:29:22 AM »

Hi Ed,

I'll just throw in too that Elation is also coming out with a SevenPar Series that adds Lime to their already successful SixPar Series.  I'd still expect ETC's offering to be superior, but if size/cost/IP65 is a concern they might be worth a look too.  For what it's worth I'm a huge fan of the SlimPar Pro fixtures, but there's a reason why they're only 10-20% the cost of the ETC products!  Good luck!

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for taking time to reply!  Yeah, as an entry point into the LED wash light world, the SlimPar Pro H does OK . . . but now I think I understand a bit more about why I can't get the colors I want.  And you're right . . . there IS a reason these fixtures are far cheaper than the ETC/Martin products. 

For example, when I jumped in to LEDs, I didn't really grok that there were different kinds/levels of emitters for each color . . . and it totally makes sense that it costs more to get closer to those Roscolux colors I used for years. 

Is there a specific type of LED (brand, spectrum specification, etc.) that I should be looking for to get those deeper  colors?  For example, if Chauvet uses an 'XYZ' red emitter that leans too far into the orange for my taste (or a blue emitter that's too bright/yellow), is there a spec for the 'ABC' emitters that gets into the spectrums that I want?  Or do I just have to try different fixtures until I find the magic?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 12:55:11 PM »

Yeah, I saw those . . . a bit too large/heavy for what I need (stand-based one-off shows for a local cover band).  This was my first foray into LED lighting . . . just trying to understand what questions to ask in the future so I can get closer to what I want.

May yet try some of the ColorSource Deep Blues . . . might just be a slightly less expensive alternative to 'real' wash lights.   

Thanks for the reply!!
I'm a long-time user of the Chauvet SlimPAR Pro RGBA (now discontinued), and I have used the ETC Colorsource PAR Deep Blue.  I didn't do much for head-to-head comparison, but to my eye, the deep blues were about the same.  Build quality was nicer on the ETC, of course.

I think your best bet is getting fixture demos.  You're not likely to get specific emitter information from low-mid-level fixtures.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 06:14:52 PM »

Is there a specific type of LED (brand, spectrum specification, etc.) that I should be looking for to get those deeper  colors?  For example, if Chauvet uses an 'XYZ' red emitter that leans too far into the orange for my taste (or a blue emitter that's too bright/yellow), is there a spec for the 'ABC' emitters that gets into the spectrums that I want?  Or do I just have to try different fixtures until I find the magic?

I think your best bet is getting fixture demos.  You're not likely to get specific emitter information from low-mid-level fixtures.

Exactly.  Getting a demo of the fixtures you're considering is always the best way to see exactly what you're getting.  Unfortunately, the way a fixture "looks" doesn't translate too well onto the spec sheet, just like the way a speaker "sounds" isn't found on the spec sheet either.  Spec sheets and manuals give you a good idea of what the unit should be capable of doing, but beyond that the only way to tell if it'll fit your needs/tastes is to demo. 

If you're serious about buying decent fixtutes it'll be in your best interest to build a good relationship with a dealer that can help to facilitate the demos you need.  Alternatively, most lighting brands have showrooms you can visit as well, but depending on where you live that might not be realistic.  Good luck!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 07:34:00 PM »

Ed,  I just installed eight Chauvet Intimidator Wash Zoom 450 IRC's at a local church.  Like you, I had not been able to find a fixture that had the deep blue color I really desired.  These 450's impressed me.  Though I did not have a par can with a Congo Blue gel to compare with, it was how I remember that gel looking on stage.  It is a moving head wash and not what I would call inexpensive, but I loved the blue it produced.  I'd put it on a list to check out.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 07:34:00 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 21 queries.