ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Designs for mic stand storage cart?  (Read 12407 times)

Scott Hofmann

Designs for mic stand storage cart?
« on: March 23, 2018, 05:58:51 PM »

I'm looking to build a storage cart for a dozen K&M round base mic stands with boom attachments. It will be used to transport between storeroom and stage. Anyone have any pictures or descriptions of one that has worked out well?
Scott Hofmann

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Designs for mic stand storage cart?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 07:14:48 PM »

I don't have any quick pictures to attach but I have seen various designs that use PVC pipe stacked together where you slide a mic stand into each piece of pipe.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 01:10:40 AM »

I have one of these from Audiopile.net. It's top heavy and so must be carefully rolled over bumps but it rolls without issue on smooth surfaces.

Edit: A plus is that the vertical orientation means it doesn't take up much space.
If used for a venue, I'd consider building one about 2/3 of this height so that the stands stick out of the top for better visibility if you have different models of stands.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:14:42 AM by Corey Scogin »

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 09:21:39 AM »

I have one of these from Audiopile.net. It's top heavy and so must be carefully rolled over bumps but it rolls without issue on smooth surfaces.

Edit: A plus is that the vertical orientation means it doesn't take up much space.
If used for a venue, I'd consider building one about 2/3 of this height so that the stands stick out of the top for better visibility if you have different models of stands.
Not sure how the PVC pipe designs would work with round base mic stands since it would be a real hassle to take the bases off the uprights each time and sort of defeat the purpose of quick deployment.
Scott Hofmann

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 12:25:58 PM »

I'd think a design where they are stored horizontally would be space effective. Some bases at the stern, some at the bow, possibly offset a little to be able to squeeze more bases together. Some plywood frames made to hold up the stick/boom, and made onto a rolling cart.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 10:23:53 PM »

Not sure how the PVC pipe designs would work with round base mic stands since it would be a real hassle to take the bases off the uprights each time and sort of defeat the purpose of quick deployment.
Maybe worth investigating quick disconnects for the bases.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 01:06:38 AM »

Quite a while ago an act came through with a large road case. It had scalloped inserts that allowed the stands to lay horizontally along the long axis of the case. IIRC, there was enough clearance at the end of the case for three round bases (attached) at each end. I do not remember if it had a top scalloped insert so a second layer could rest on top of the base layer.  The scalloped part was sort of like the things that LightSource makes to stack truss.  Maybe something like that, if you have room. The other thing to consider is a A-frame like they use to stack pipes.

Hope this helps.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 07:54:18 PM »

Not sure how the PVC pipe designs would work with round base mic stands...

Ha! Oops.
You caught me skimming the post. My brain read what it wanted to read.

Rick Earl

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 02:08:56 PM »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 04:58:47 PM »

I'm looking to build a storage cart for a dozen K&M round base mic stands with boom attachments. It will be used to transport between storeroom and stage. Anyone have any pictures or descriptions of one that has worked out well?
Scott,

My 38+ year old truck integer (45" x45" x15") design below was for Atlas MS-12 round base stands, using K&M or Atlas booms, 14 fit in the case and the clips can all remain on the booms. The drawing on the yellow pad was done by my brother Roy in the mid 1980's when we tired of remeasuring the first one each time we built another..

K&M round base stands dimensions may be different, but the concept would work fine adjusted to any base and stand dimensions.

The case can be made 22.5" deep and fit 28 stands.
A slide in cover fits in front of the case.

The 15" deep case can have stability issues if the rear casters turn towards the loading side, best to load it against a wall.

The design has saved thousands of man-hours in labor, and countless stripped threads in dozens of systems and venues.

Cheers,
Art
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:04:26 AM by Art Welter »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 04:58:47 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.