ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: rackmount UPS  (Read 11706 times)

Chris BT Davis

Re: rackmount UPS
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 10:43:49 AM »

Just to echo some of what's already been said: Online/double-conversion units from a reputable manufacturer (APC/Tripplite).

I, and many I know, have been burned by using line interactive type UPS's with generator power. Granted, the real problem(s) are likely that the generator is the smallest generator up to the task, and/or 300' of voltage drop at real world current draw isn't always properly accounted for when sizing FOH AC runs, and/or artist LF demands are sometimes n+1, where n=the physical comfort of any person within 1,000 yards of the event. But, sometimes we find ourselves in less-than-optimal conditions despite our best efforts and planning, and that's where I've seen line interactive UPS's turn from a safety net to a liability.

In particular, I've had major problems with the CyberPower line-interactive units.

If budget is of primary concern and it absolutely MUST be a line interactive ups, I've had very good results with the APC SUA/SMT 2U UPS's. I work with a company that has had a dozen or so various units in service for the past several years with no issues past maintenance; except when run on a generator in single phase mode past 50% of the generator's capacity with high transient draw. With a generator running in three phase mode, the UPS's have been solid.

I've been using a Tripplite double-conversion ups with my personal gear with no problems whatsoever.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 11:36:28 AM »

The thread has reminded me to ask a question here. Currently I use a tower style UPS which has been excellent ( Cyberpower model)- never let me down and stable. However, I'd like to rack mount one but I want to keep the weight down as I won't be using wheels. If only connecting my mixer (QU PAC/ QU 16), what is the lowest rated unit - VA / Watts -  I should go for ? 
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 02:01:32 PM »

The thread has reminded me to ask a question here. Currently I use a tower style UPS which has been excellent ( Cyberpower model)- never let me down and stable. However, I'd like to rack mount one but I want to keep the weight down as I won't be using wheels. If only connecting my mixer (QU PAC/ QU 16), what is the lowest rated unit - VA / Watts -  I should go for ?

Hi Debbie.  I have the 1000VA/900W version of the Eaton 9130 Online Double-Conversion UPS and it powers my FOH rack consisting of a Qu-Pac, a pair of Denon Media Players, a MIDI Interface, networking equipment, 4x EW100 receivers, and a MacBook Pro.  It barely exceeds 20% of it's full capacity as indicted on the unit's display.  I'm quite certain you could get by with the smallest version of just about anything if just using your Qu-Pac or Qu-16.  The only reason I have the capacity I do is for times when I'm using my full light console and (soon to own) large-format digital mixer.  My UPS and the smaller 700VA/630W version both weigh 35 pounds.  Hope this helps!

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 03:36:31 PM »

If only connecting my mixer (QU PAC/ QU 16), what is the lowest rated unit - VA / Watts -  I should go for ?
The QU 16 draws 82 Watts Max.  So, if that's all you're protecting, you won't need a mega UPS.

That said, one question that has to be answered is how much runtime is really needed (or, rather, how much do you want to pay for - and lug around?).  Just enough to keep sensitive equipment from powering off during a quick hiccup or for the duration of an entire show?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 06:19:34 PM »

The QU 16 draws 82 Watts Max.  So, if that's all you're protecting, you won't need a mega UPS.

That said, one question that has to be answered is how much runtime is really needed (or, rather, how much do you want to pay for - and lug around?).  Just enough to keep sensitive equipment from powering off during a quick hiccup or for the duration of an entire show?

Dave

If you don't have power for an entire show, your PA probably doesn't either.  I look at UPSs as a power conditioner as well as giving me the ability to not have to reboot the console and stageboxes if the power does goes off.  Hopefully the power can be re-established in short order and sound will pass immediately. 
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 07:08:30 PM »

As long as I have time to get everything powered down - that is all I need so that I don't get the dreaded pop of the console coming back on with the power ( and any issues that it might cause me)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 08:32:07 PM »

Hi Debbie,

For a couple portable setups I bought the APC Back-UPS Pro 500 Lithium Ion UPS BG500.
It weighs about 5#, is fairly small.  Pricey, I paid $200 for each.
Hopefully they last a long time...

Good health,  Weogo

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 08:33:51 PM »

As long as I have time to get everything powered down - that is all I need so that I don't get the dreaded pop of the console coming back on with the power ( and any issues that it might cause me)

That's the approach I take as well.  For me, it's about having the DSP and Console on a suitable UPS (I mostly use Eaton) to provide enough runtime for an elegant shutdown and no pops.

Dave

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 09:36:44 PM »

Hi Debbie,

For a couple portable setups I bought the APC Back-UPS Pro 500 Lithium Ion UPS BG500.
It weighs about 5#, is fairly small.  Pricey, I paid $200 for each.
Hopefully they last a long time...

Good health,  Weogo

So how important is pure sine wave? I see this product doesn't have it. The one I am using right now does.....I like the lithium ion battery idea.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2018, 11:00:49 PM »

That's the approach I take as well.  For me, it's about having the DSP and Console on a suitable UPS (I mostly use Eaton) to provide enough runtime for an elegant shutdown and no pops.

Dave

If you can get the power back up, you don't have to shut the console down, and the pa comes up fully functional.  I think my UPS will run the console for a half hour or so.  If there's no power by then, I think the show is dead.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2018, 11:00:49 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.