ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Double micing for theatre.  (Read 2327 times)

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
Double micing for theatre.
« on: March 22, 2018, 05:46:09 AM »

So, I have a show coming up where (for the first time) I have a budget that allows me to double mic (for back up of main actors) some parts.  Never done this before and wondered if there is any rule of thumb to follow as to proximity of transmitters etc.
One will be a headset, the back-up a lapel.
Thanks for any tips.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Double micing for theatre.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 05:57:53 AM »

So, I have a show coming up where (for the first time) I have a budget that allows me to double mic (for back up of main actors) some parts.  Never done this before and wondered if there is any rule of thumb to follow as to proximity of transmitters etc.
Thanks for any tips.

Check the wireless forums, there are a few threads there that have measurements with handheld mics at different distances, I would honestly just do one TX on their left and the other at their right, should be a massive amount of absorption from the water bag in the middle.

You definitely don't want them next to each other since this will cause serious IM issues.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 06:04:41 AM »

Check the wireless forums, there are a few threads there that have measurements with handheld mics at different distances, I would honestly just do one TX on their left and the other at their right, should be a massive amount of absorption from the water bag in the middle.

You definitely don't want them next to each other since this will cause serious IM issues.

Cheers for that.  I had suspected that may be the way to go but it's good to get a bit of confirmation from others.
Thanks

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 07:48:48 AM »

Thanks for any tips.
Jonathan, I have done this for a couple of shows and it saved my ass on one of them.  Here is what I did and it seemed to work.  This as for Fiddle on the Roof and the part of Tevye (male lead)

2) Sennheiser MKE2 Gold
2) Shure ULX/P system

The two mics on adjacent channels
When building the show mic 2 is always muted and mic 1 is open
check mic placement prior to each show
during warm-ups A/B the mics to make sure they sound the same
If mic one goes down mute it and un-mute mic 2, it should sound the same
If you use 'Mute Safes' you will only have to mute channel 1 once and un-mute channel 2 once, if not you will have to do it for each scene.

We made it into the last 45 minutes of act 2 of the last show before we had a mic crap out and it saved the show for us.

Anyway that is how we do it.

Bill

Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 12:48:50 PM »

Brilliant thanks.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 01:39:12 PM »

Never done this before and wondered if there is any rule of thumb to follow as to proximity of transmitters etc.

Just finshed a run as A2 where two of the actors were double-packed. We were using MKE1s as the backup mic Hellermann sleeved just above the primary (a 4061 for one, another MKE1 for the other). The packs (SK 5212s) were attached to the same mic belt on both actors, with only several inches of separation, but measurements with an SA suggested that meatbag absorption placed the 2T3O IMD at least 50 dB below the carriers, even at that small distance.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 01:39:12 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.