ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Baseball stadium. Quick setup/down  (Read 7365 times)

Kyle Gerhart

Baseball stadium. Quick setup/down
« on: March 22, 2018, 01:38:25 AM »

Hey guys,
I've been asked to do what seems to be an almost impossible task. I have a client who wants to have a stage/lights/sound up and running in 22min or less.

This will involve a prebuilt stage that is pulled/rolled onto a baseball stadium directly after a game is finished. The band will have already sound checked and will be on almost completely wireless. They will all be on IEM's.

Stage power and power for the lights and sound will be an issue. I plan on making all the lighting LED and able to run on standard 20amp edisons.

I have a plan for how the stage/lighting will work. But when it comes to sound I have done several models on software and it seems that I will need a lot more boxes than is in the budget.

My current plan is that the stage/rig will be setup approximately 50' from the "wall" of where the grandstands start. I've mapped it out with K2 over SB28's, but with the budget that i've been given I know that those will not be an option. I am looking at RCF HDL 20's or 30's over the 9007 subs as an option. The client wants to be able to purchase the system, not rent. Obviously the K2 rig would be the ideal, but i know whoever box i go with I will be able to do similar. Its looking like a Powered box over a powered sub will be the answer.

Has anyone had any real world experience of having to put on this type of production?

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Baseball stadium. Quick setup/down
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 05:28:58 AM »

Hey guys,
I've been asked to do what seems to be an almost impossible task. I have a client who wants to have a stage/lights/sound up and running in 22min or less.

This will involve a prebuilt stage that is pulled/rolled onto a baseball stadium directly after a game is finished. The band will have already sound checked and will be on almost completely wireless. They will all be on IEM's.

Stage power and power for the lights and sound will be an issue. I plan on making all the lighting LED and able to run on standard 20amp edisons.

I have a plan for how the stage/lighting will work. But when it comes to sound I have done several models on software and it seems that I will need a lot more boxes than is in the budget.

My current plan is that the stage/rig will be setup approximately 50' from the "wall" of where the grandstands start. I've mapped it out with K2 over SB28's, but with the budget that i've been given I know that those will not be an option. I am looking at RCF HDL 20's or 30's over the 9007 subs as an option. The client wants to be able to purchase the system, not rent. Obviously the K2 rig would be the ideal, but i know whoever box i go with I will be able to do similar. Its looking like a Powered box over a powered sub will be the answer.

Has anyone had any real world experience of having to put on this type of production?

You need over 100 dBA average for the majority of the audience? There are many ways so solve the problem at a few budget levels, setup time for something like this would depend on the amount of trained hands available.

Regarding your SPL targets, honestly if this is after a ballgame I really don't think that the client is expecting rockshow levels, if he is then you need to tell him to relook at his budget. From my experience aiming for 85-90 dBA will be a much more feasible target and that 10dB will probably make a massive difference in the amount quoted.

I'm also not sure about the scale on your model but those speakers are quite far away from the audience.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 05:31:09 AM by Jean-Pierre Coetzee »
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 07:03:31 AM »

Is this an install/ one off or is it a regular gig.

For a one off you could just use your L'acoustics rig. Using gear you already have instead of buying or renting other gear will increase ROI for that piece of gear. This also applies if it's a regular gig where you can possibly split the system in a fixed and mobile portion. This way your L'A rig can still be available for other events.

As for your question about these types of events in general.
People who know what needs to be done and how make all the difference. They need to be well informed of their tasks. You can help them by marking/color coding stuff. Obviously it helps if you have the same team every time.
Having your speaker stacks on dollies with lockable wheels can also save time especially if the speaker wires are coiled in a way that moving the stack away uncoiles them.
Pre build as much as possible on the stage and use drop snakes and short leads/cables wherever possible. Have some spare lines available.
And last but not least.. Practice, practice and practice but don't participate in the stage building at least for practice. You'll see what can be improved and how much time you have left or are short off.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 07:25:05 AM »

You need over 100 dBA average for the majority of the audience?

Regarding your SPL targets, honestly if this is after a ballgame I really don't think that the client is expecting rockshow levels, if he is then you need to tell him to relook at his budget. From my experience aiming for 85-90 dBA will be a much more feasible target and that 10dB will probably make a massive difference in the amount quoted.

I don't know the particular settings used in the model, but would "assume" (based on other modeling programs) that the levels shown are peak.

So the "level as measured on a typical SPL meter" will be around 15dB lower.

So right in your 85-90dB range.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »

Have a look at the Kate Perry superbowl show, and how they did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlhzCvMIXZg

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 12:41:02 PM »

Yeah, See: Superbowl.

That being said, this might not be a problem if your field is HS/college, and maybe minor leagues, but I can absolutely guarantee that if it's a major league field, they're not going to be OK with you rolling stage decks across the grass. Plan on planking being put down onto the field before you can start building anything...

Is it a covered stadium? Flying PA could be an option? Then that quickens your setup, if the PA is already flown.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 12:50:03 PM »

Yeah, See: Superbowl.

That being said, this might not be a problem if your field is HS/college, and maybe minor leagues, but I can absolutely guarantee that if it's a major league field, they're not going to be OK with you rolling stage decks across the grass. Plan on planking being put down onto the field before you can start building anything...

Is it a covered stadium? Flying PA could be an option? Then that quickens your setup, if the PA is already flown.

-Ray
The Atlanta Braves put the rolling carts facing home plate, but just in the outfield behind 2nd base.  The carts have really large tires.

The people who pay extra are allowed to stand on the dirt part of the infield.

Everybody else listens from the normal seating area.

FOH is around home plate

You are correct, the grass is sacred, so they are VERY picky who/what is allowed on it.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 02:11:40 PM »

I'm not sure of who does the production but they've done a concert series at Tropicana Field after Rays Games for the last several years:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tampa+bay+rays+after+game+concert

They set up behind second base, ready to go in 20 minutes, tops. The people who stay usually move down to the lower seats & they let a limited number of people on the field. I'd say closer to to 80-90 db behind home plate than 100 db.

Edit: Found this:
http://www.livedesignonline.com/blog/rays-summer-concert-series-pull-out-all-stops-48-box-nexo-line-array
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 03:11:34 PM by Lance Hallmark »
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Kyle Gerhart

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 11:43:10 PM »

To answer many of your questions. Yes 100db A-weighted is the target goal for the folks in the grand stands. This will be in Minor league baseball stadiums and is a "Post Game Concert".

The scale of the model is setup along the "third" base line, covering up to 200' wide area max. The speakers and stage are placed 50' from the target audience. This is the worst case we will have to cover. Realistically the Pa will be closer to 25' or so, therefore the SPL levels will increase by 6db or so in a perfect world. Its always better to have the headroom in the system, then try to push it past its limits.

Mike Lieman

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 05:08:23 AM »

Do you need a PA at all, or can you send outputs to the facility's installed system.   That solves a whole lot of issues, and if it's a minor league event, you're pretty much walk-off music for the fans on their way out of the venue.   Then the backline can handle the band's fans who stay, and get close enough to hear...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 05:08:23 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.