ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The worst Dog of a speaker you ever owned  (Read 10752 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: The worst Dog of a speaker you ever owned
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 09:27:01 PM »

I fixed the title for you, was making me nuts.

Me too. I fixed the first post.

Mac

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 09:36:11 PM »

Yep - the Nady 12" monitors were an absolute POS.  I bought them new because I wanted the cabinets (to replace the Nady insides), but I tried them once at an event... you are correct, absolutely useless.
I used some Crate(?) speakers from decades ago.  15" on a waveguide, tiny compression driver and tweeter which weren't even connected.  Muddy 150Hz-1kHz with EQ, low output. 

Hot spot monitors.  EV SX100.  Various Mackie models.  Original Eon.  Old ceil8ng speakers used as PA.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 07:17:19 AM »

Actually, the Yamahas were s step up from my home made monitors.
12" Celestion guitar speaker with an EV white, re-entrant paging horn and a capacitor.
OUCH!!
So many years ago.... :-[
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 11:23:14 AM »

Actually, the Yamahas were s step up from my home made monitors.
I had a pair of those for a few years, and although they were large and heavy (particle board/MDF), I remember them sounding fairly good, as long as you weren't right on top of them.  I eventually sold them to a band I had been working for.  They were happy, and I didn't miss them in the least.

Coincidentally, somebody has a pair of the S4115Hs for sale on kijiji in Halifax right now.  Same components, just in a rectangular box.

GTD

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 11:52:36 AM »

I had a pair of those for a few years, and although they were large and heavy (particle board/MDF), I remember them sounding fairly good, as long as you weren't right on top of them.  I eventually sold them to a band I had been working for.  They were happy, and I didn't miss them in the least.

Coincidentally, somebody has a pair of the S4115Hs for sale on kijiji in Halifax right now.  Same components, just in a rectangular box.

GTD
Actually that was going to be my contribution to this thread...
Yamaha S4115:
-heavy
-overpriced -they were the best our local dealer had back in the day
-only 100W (yes efficient, but still blew easily -even using the Yamaha 12ch EM300 powered mixer they sold us as a package with them)
-tolex that tore way too easily considering the weight of those cabinets and how often they would be dragged or scraped because of that weight
-particle board
-grill too easy to puncture
-and heavy (can't be stated enough)

In reading this thread I would expect crap from names like Kustom, Nady, Behringer etc..  I interpreted it more to be about speakers that were positioned in the marketplace to be better than that crap but turned out to be just as bad, if not worse because you just overpaid for them.
-Kind of like back in 1982 proudly buying a new Cadillac Cimarron!

I do think a thread devoted to cheap expectations that actually turned out to be surprisingly good would be fairly interesting too.
Like a yardsale set of pitiful-looking no-name carpeted boxes with waffle-grilles that contained EV woofers and a TAD HF driver!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 12:12:46 PM »

(chills - shudder...)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 12:23:19 PM »

(chills - shudder...)
Cavalier, on steroids (Looks, NOT power)
Lincoln Versailles was a Granada with bigger body bushings....
What were they thinking?
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 03:28:53 PM »

The band I first started working with (way back when) had some old Sonic 18" bass bins that were absolutely horrrrrrrrrrible. This was around 1989, so I don't recall the exact model but man they were just pure mud and absolutely frustrating to work with. Making matters worse, they were sitting under Bose 802s.

I fought that rig for 3 or 4 years...I don't miss that set-up at all.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 05:13:57 PM »

The band I first started working with (way back when) had some old Sonic 18" bass bins that were absolutely horrrrrrrrrrible. This was around 1989, so I don't recall the exact model but man they were just pure mud and absolutely frustrating to work with. Making matters worse, they were sitting under Bose 802s.

I fought that rig for 3 or 4 years...I don't miss that set-up at all.

Down in South Texas they still use that Sonic crap. I've fought with promoters down there a bunch to upgrade to anything else.

The only dogs I ever personally owned were some very weird Peavy cabs that were a 2 way 18"BW into a 22rx (I think). That was just a very weird cab. Huge, not loud, no real bass, and crazy coverage. I never actually used them on a gig. I bought a warehouse of stuff from a party band and these were in there. I used them for music in my warehouse before I got tired of how big they were and sold them to a dj.

The biggest dog PA that I've ever used anywhere would have to be anything made by soundbridge. I've not come across a single cabinet that was acceptable. But they sure sold a lot of it down here.....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: he worst Dog of a speaker you ever owned
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 05:33:07 PM »

I'd have to say the "Warp 2" 'sub' cabs we purchased from Anicom Sound in Minneapolis, back in '75-ish.  Loaded them with two Gauss 15" speakers in each so, not only were they incredibly inefficient, they were also heavier than heck.  An added bonus?  They wouldn't fit through the stage doors at some venues.  Other bands of the day were using W bins and Scoops.  We had to be different!

Dave
Dave,

The Anicom "Futz" was the same size, but just a sealed box with a triangular hole in front, three 15" around the triangle, one in the back of the hole that would blow up first. The "Futz" made the "Warp 2" seem way efficient by comparison. They did use a lot of fiberglass on those dogs..

Around a decade later in the same city, I designed a prototype and had sixteen "F3" three-way 30" x 30" x 45"  full-range boxes built for Southern Thunder Sound. Seemed like a good idea at the time...

Path-length difference between the 18" folded horn bass and stubby conical 10" mid horns made for a "woolly" low mid sound, center to center distance between the 10" made the upper mid "smeared" other than on axis, and the 1" top struggled a bit at the mid crossover range. They could be flown horizontally or vertically, the array sucked in either direction. 4800 pounds of barking crap.

The F3 system was the biggest "dog" I ever built, but we worked them a lot before finally cutting off the "top" portion and using the 18" folded horn by itself, recycling the 10" and HF section into another "tried and true" design. Finally laid those dogs to rest..

Art

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: he worst Dog of a speaker you ever owned
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 05:33:07 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.