ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The worst Dog of a speaker you ever owned  (Read 10645 times)

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
Re: he worst Dog of a speaker you ever owned
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 09:44:44 AM »

The JBL MPro 215 boxes. Great for anything below 80 db. Ended up giving them away.

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 10:17:48 AM »

Seismic Audio Floor monitors - 12/1".

I got a pair knowing they wouldn't be useful for anything rock level but thought they'd be ok for speech or light acoustic acts.

At any volume over "on" the horns distorted so bad they sounded like kazoo amps.   Seismic even replaced one crossover and one horn driver and then said that was they way they were supposed to work.

Silly me.

Oddly, I also had yamaha S2115's years ago.  After replacing the 15" with either EV or JBL drivers they made really good wedges.  I made a lot of money with them.  The white 15" drivers were incapable of volume.   The rest worked pretty well.

--Kevin

scottstephens

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 10:27:50 AM »

The worst speakers that I've ever owned are ones that I currently own. I have 4 JBL Eon 612's. I use them  for talking heads and small outdoor events. They suck!!! It  takes a butt load of EQ to make them sound decent and they don't get loud enough. With all that being said, they HAVE paid for themselves many times over. They get used a lot and most people don't know that they suck because we set them up to sound as good as we can.  I wish I would have bought once and cried once, but can I argue with the money these crappy ones bring in? And the business owner in me won't replace these until they die.

Scott

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 11:09:24 AM »

A pair of Behringer B300s. They work ok within their limitations, but they are just too heavy at 68 lbs each.  I got them for a very good price and as I live on a little island, I had to carry them one in each hand onto the hovercraft which links us to the mainland.
I don't want to do that again - and I don't have to as this week, I swapped them for some more useful monitor speakers with a friend.

Steve.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 11:26:35 AM »

A pair of Behringer B300s. They work ok within their limitations, but they are just too heavy at 68 lbs each.  I got them for a very good price and as I live on a little island, I had to carry them one in each hand onto the hovercraft which links us to the mainland.
I don't want to do that again - and I don't have to as this week, I swapped them for some more useful monitor speakers with a friend.

Steve.
Steve, did you like this "friend"? ;D

Grey Eon 15s. Still have one I need to pass off to someone.  I still have 2 black 10s, and four more 10s out on long term loan.  Lots of low mids (plastic resonance, I believe) that require a bunch to EQ out (minimize), and as monitors, the clip light is always flashing.
Much better than the Mackie Thumps (Thuds® of Tim), however.
frank

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 12:22:13 PM »

Steve, did you like this "friend"?

He's using them with some Wharfedale active subs I no longer need, with a DJ setup in his bedroom.  I think the main function is to annoy his neighbours!

I got a couple of Alto 10" monitors and a couple of speaker stands in return. What I really wanted was to free up some space. Anything else was a bonus.

Steve.

Landon Lewsaw

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 12:38:23 PM »

I had some Mackie subs and they were too heavy for their output but the worse speakers were a pair of Nady 12” monitors. Their gain before feedback must have been negative. Useless.

I had a pair of those useless clunkers too Rob - bought in a package with a bunch of other stuff, but utterly unuseable.  Sold to a teenage headbanger for a hundred bucks...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:47:30 PM by Landon Lewsaw »

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 04:31:11 PM »

Whats the worst dog of a loudspeaker you ever owned

I'd have to say the "Warp 2" 'sub' cabs we purchased from Anicom Sound in Minneapolis, back in '75-ish.  Loaded them with two Gauss 15" speakers in each so, not only were they incredibly inefficient, they were also heavier than heck.  An added bonus?  They wouldn't fit through the stage doors at some venues.  Other bands of the day were using W bins and Scoops.  We had to be different!

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 07:54:47 PM »

I had some Mackie subs and they were too heavy for their output but the worse speakers were a pair of Nady 12” monitors. Their gain before feedback must have been negative. Useless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yep - the Nady 12" monitors were an absolute POS.  I bought them new because I wanted the cabinets (to replace the Nady insides), but I tried them once at an event... you are correct, absolutely useless.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
The worst Dog of a speaker you ever owned
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 09:04:42 PM »

I fixed the title for you, was making me nuts.

I bought some 8" monitors from Kustom.  Piezo tweeters and all.

Only difference between those speakers and turds was corn and fingernails.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

The worst Dog of a speaker you ever owned
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 09:04:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.