ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom Foam cutouts for rack drawers/work boxes  (Read 12035 times)

Franklin Benjamin

Custom Foam cutouts for rack drawers/work boxes
« on: March 19, 2018, 04:52:47 PM »

So, anyone hear rolling their own?  If so any pointers? 

Alternatively can anyone recommend a good custom foam company that deals more with audio.  Most companies I've found so far have tons of pics of rifles in pelicans.

I tried the pick and pluck foam in a rack drawer (wireless HH and belt packs) and it hasn't held up so well.   I also have an SKB with a cingle ulxp in it and I like/prefer how that foam is holding up.  A couple of days ago, i saw a recommendation to plastidip spray the foam to make it hold up better.  Just looking for options/ideas.  Pics would be nice if you are willing to share.

Thanks,

Franklin

Stephen Kirby

Re: Custom Foam cutouts for rack drawers/work boxes
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 08:02:59 PM »

Go to the Goodwill and find an electric carving knife.  Short of a bandsaw, that's the cleanest way to make cuts in foam.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 09:27:03 PM »

Go to the Goodwill and find an electric carving knife.  Short of a bandsaw, that's the cleanest way to make cuts in foam.

An electric carving knife works great, with a little gravy on the Thanksgiving turkey you don't even notice the little bits of foam!

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 09:32:18 PM »

Google "Hot wire foam cutter": https://www.google.com/search?q=hot+wire+foam+cutter&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_s9O83_nZAhVEwmMKHfTgABoQ_AUIDSgE&biw=1600&bih=786
Obviously, how often you can use one will heavily determine how much you want to spend on one.  I like the models with the table.  You can use them pretty much like you would a bandsaw, but with foam, and end up with nice straight cuts.  I think I paid around $40 for the last one I bought.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:35:22 PM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 10:24:16 PM »

I've seen some pretty impressive stuff waterjet cut in foam.  Not sure how cost effective it would be for one offs, but you might find someone looking for a niche product. I can't find the info, but we looked at custom made foam drawer liners for 5S a while ago.  Biggest thing would be setup time.
Steve Swaffer

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 06:45:14 AM »

Check out Nelson Case Corp (http://www.nelsoncasecorp.com) - I just ordered/received their "Print #7489" for 4 Shure Wireless + 4 body packs.  Very happy.  Delivery took 3 weeks.  They required a 50% deposit when you place the order and balance upon completion.  Cost was reasonable.  https://dbmisc.s3.amazonaws.com/IMG_8572.JPG

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 11:46:42 AM »

Check out Nelson Case Corp (http://www.nelsoncasecorp.com) - I just ordered/received their "Print #7489" for 4 Shure Wireless + 4 body packs.  Very happy.  Delivery took 3 weeks.  They required a 50% deposit when you place the order and balance upon completion.  Cost was reasonable.  https://dbmisc.s3.amazonaws.com/IMG_8572.JPG
Are you able to post what you paid for it? (The lack of pricing on their website.... haha)

Thanks!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »

Are you able to post what you paid for it? (The lack of pricing on their website.... haha)

Thanks!

-Ray

$114 for a single unit.  Volume price breaks available but I did not explore that.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 04:51:09 PM »

$114 for a single unit.  Volume price breaks available but I did not explore that.

I reached out to Nelson too back when I was building a rack for my (then) new EW100s.  I forget the exact number they quoted me for a mic drawer insert, but it was insane. 

I had a much better experience with My Case Builder.  It helps if you have some CAD skills, but below are some pictures of my 2U drawer insert for 4x Sennheiser EW100 mics and beltpacks.  The drawer insert was about $40 shipped, and each of the lid inserts for the paddle antennas was $29...so I think I spent about $100 for everything.  I've been very satisfied with these and highly recommend them.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 06:36:16 PM »

I had a much better experience with My Case Builder.  It helps if you have some CAD skills

Those look really nice!  Did you provide 3D CAD files, so they knew the relative depths?  Or, is all foam cut to the same depth?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 06:36:16 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.