ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Redundant CL5?  (Read 9299 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Redundant CL5?
« on: March 19, 2018, 11:09:06 AM »

I've been asked this question a couple of times lately by friends who know I run CL5's often.

Is there a way to make two CL5's a redundant pair? If 2 desks are side by side, and one is the main mixer, the other is a redundant backup, is there a way to make it track every movement of the main desk and be ready to go is the main fails? My suggestion was to look into midi control, but I'm not going to do it for them.

Any ideas? This is purely academic for me, because it's not my client that is making this crazy request.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Josh Hana

Re: Redundant CL5?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 11:57:52 AM »

I believe the Rivage PM10 has a dual engine if that's what you're looking for?

I've never run the CL5 this way, but I've done plenty of shows with the CL/QL sharing a RIO rack, so I would assume if one of the consoles got knocked off the network, any audio passing through the rio would continue. I'm not sure about actually mirroring the consoles though. There may be some options when tying into Studio Manager

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 02:01:07 PM »

I believe the Rivage PM10 has a dual engine if that's what you're looking for?

I've never run the CL5 this way, but I've done plenty of shows with the CL/QL sharing a RIO rack, so I would assume if one of the consoles got knocked off the network, any audio passing through the rio would continue. I'm not sure about actually mirroring the consoles though. There may be some options when tying into Studio Manager

Yeah. I keep asking them why an iPad with studio manager wouldn't work, but they insist the client wants a fully redundant control surface. I don't know why.

My last suggestion to them was to stick a usb key in desk #1 and back up the show every 5 minutes. Then if it craters, you can recall onto desk #2 in a few seconds.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 04:22:15 PM »

Is there a way to make two CL5's a redundant pair? If 2 desks are side by side, and one is the main mixer, the other is a redundant backup, is there a way to make it track every movement of the main desk and be ready to go is the main fails?
Yep.
CL5 isn't mentioned specifically, but this same method should work.
YAMAHA Digital Mixers: A Redundancy Guide - Yamaha Downloads
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:31:52 PM by Andrew Broughton »
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 10:42:29 AM »

I've been asked this question a couple of times lately by friends who know I run CL5's often.

Is there a way to make two CL5's a redundant pair? If 2 desks are side by side, and one is the main mixer, the other is a redundant backup, is there a way to make it track every movement of the main desk and be ready to go is the main fails? My suggestion was to look into midi control, but I'm not going to do it for them.

Any ideas? This is purely academic for me, because it's not my client that is making this crazy request.

I've got a friend in town doing a show right now that i think is running redundant CL5s with backup analog as a third redundancy.  Since i just saw this thread, i'm now super curious to find out exactly how they implemented all of that.  If/when i pry the super secret info out of him, i'll be sure to report back....
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 04:46:09 PM by brian maddox »
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

brianb

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 01:55:05 PM »

I've got a friend in town doing a show right now that i think is running redundant CL5s with backup analog as a third redundancy.  Since i just saw this thread, i'm now super curious to find out exactly how they implemented all of that.  If/when i pry the super secret info out of him, i'll be sure to report back....

I spoke with Yamaha about this when they were showing off the PM10, it is possible to do a redundant CL5 however it was a bit off a process and utilizing midi from desk to
Desk. They have set it up for someone at a show looking to
Do redundant CL5. If you contact Yamaha I'm sure they can walk you through it

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber