ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: power-con 14ga limit  (Read 4827 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
power-con 14ga limit
« on: March 19, 2018, 11:07:29 AM »

Looks like the size limit on power cable is 14ga. for power-con connectors.  The Neutrik connectors (NAC3FCA) show they are rated at 20a at 295 volts.  With these size attributes, it appears I may not be able to build specific power cords for the active cabinets (i.e. ~80' in length).  I use 4' 14ga power-con power-cords now, but would like to build some power-con power-cords specific for the active cabinets, so that I don't have to utilize a 10ga SOOW cord when it may not be needed.

Anyone using long (relatively speaking) 14ga power-con power-cords? 

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
Re: power-con 14ga limit
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 12:21:26 PM »

Hmm. We've built at least 30 (maybe 40) SJOOW and SOOW cables with 12/3 and haven't had any issues/challenges. You just have to back-out the terminal screws a bit, and cable should slide right in. I'd try using some decent 12/3 - you should be able to make it fit without too much hassle.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 12:22:42 PM »

I have many 12g powercon cords.

edit - Mine have all been SJ, I have not tried to stuff 12g SO through the collet.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 12:28:51 PM by Mike Pyle »
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 12:30:13 PM »

You can fit 12/3 sjoow into your standard NAC3--- connectors. It is a relatively tight fit that does not leave much margin for error on getting the wires into the holes, but it can be done. The wire pincers even fit perfectly on a 12/3 sjoow cable. The connector is rated for 20 amps and 12/3 is rated for 20 amps. 14ga. is rated for 15 amps. Those are the rating the UL listing gives anyway.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 01:36:46 PM »

You can fit 12/3 sjoow into your standard NAC3--- connectors.
Agreed; even 12/3 SOOW fits in the blue/white Powercons.  I understand, however, that the True1 connectors are different and won't take 12/3 SOOW.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 01:41:18 PM »

Thanks.

Yes, I wanted to stick with 12ga. SOOW (to make the cord interchangeable with the rest of the SOOW cord); did not want to have various cords around all serving (basically) the same function.

Sounds good.  I'll try SJOOW with them.

Thanks for the "True1" info.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 11:20:52 PM »

I have built two dozen or so powerCon cords using Southwire 12/3 SOOW. It is a tight fit, but it works. Be sure you use a real Pozi-drive screwdriver (or insert bit) for the terminal screws. Phillips and JIS tips don't cut it.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 03:09:21 AM »

I have tons of 12/3 SOOW powercon cables; as all others have said, it is a tight fit but works fine. 

One tip I have not seen mentioned is this- when you screw in the terminal screws, be careful not to over tighten.  I have broken several connectors doing this, and it is relatively easy to do.

One more tip- if you remove slightly more of the jacket than is listed on the installation diagram (maybe ~1/8" extra), you will be able to assemble this much easier with 12/3 SOOW.  Use the larger cable grip inside the connector of course (sorry, don't know the technical name for that piece)...

Of course, 12/3 SJ goes together VERY easily if you can use that kind of jacket...

I don't really like to have 14GA cable in my inventory, because I don't like to worry about someone trying to make it do something it won't on a 20 Amp circuit.

Cheers,
Nils

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 10:16:58 AM »

... when you screw in the terminal screws, be careful not to over tighten.  I have broken several connectors doing this, and it is relatively easy to do.

I always have a panel mount male connector handy when I am assembling powercon cords. I have found that latching the line connector into the panel mount supports the connection contact pins and allows one to make the screws tighter without damage.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 02:11:54 PM »

I always have a panel mount male connector handy when I am assembling powercon cords. I have found that latching the line connector into the panel mount supports the connection contact pins and allows one to make the screws tighter without damage.
That is a good tip, Mike, thanks.  I suppose one could do that with one of the couplers fairly easily as well.

Nils

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 02:11:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.