ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it just me? 1.375" versus 35mm  (Read 5510 times)

Scott Helmke

Re: Is it just me? 1.375" versus 35mm
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 08:55:20 PM »

I'm almost a decade behind you and find my tolerance for toting barges and lifting bales rapidly diminishing.  Besides, that's what strong, dumb, young backs are for...

I work with a young stage hand, really big (6'6", 340 lbs).  He can lift/grab/move some impressively large & heavy objects.  We try to remind him that just because he *can* do that by himself is not an indication that he *should*.

I must say that certain aspects of video are becoming increasingly attractive...  :o

Wireless coordination I find interesting in its own right, but I must say it's a pretty low-lift gig if you can get it.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 03:08:13 PM »

Sounds like there'd be a market for a pole socket with a locking cam. You'd see something like an allen head screw on the bottom, crank an allen wrench in it and it's set snug and grips the pole securely. No wobble, no spinning speakers. Can't be THAT hard to design and build.

If you patent it and make your million, remember me.  ;)
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 04:07:07 PM »

Sounds like there'd be a market for a pole socket with a locking cam. You'd see something like an allen head screw on the bottom, crank an allen wrench in it and it's set snug and grips the pole securely. No wobble, no spinning speakers. Can't be THAT hard to design and build.

I use these:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UCIb8GGymg

The speaker end has what you are describing. 

I suppose I could just turn it over! ;D

-Dennis
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:15:38 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 02:10:02 AM »

I use these:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UCIb8GGymg

The speaker end has what you are describing. 

I suppose I could just turn it over! ;D

-Dennis

This evening I was thinking that this would be a better solution -- works with any speaker and you don't need to modify the speaker.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 12:20:23 PM »

I have found clamping shaft collars to be useful components for creating speaker (and mic) pole fittings. They're not directly going to solve the too-small-pole-for-the-cup problem but are great for joining tubes with an ID/OD fit or holding shims in place. They come in many sizes.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-collars/=1c2ft82

I put a longitudinal slit in the outer tube and align the gap in the shaft collar with that slit.

Once I had to modify the ID of the collar to get a good fit, and realize not everyone has the facilities to do this. If you have access to a lathe, clamp a shim in the collar's gap before boring. Otherwise, I suppose you could go to the next larger size collar and use a shim on the ID -- those empty beer cans are good for something.

--Frank

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 05:39:21 PM »

I make myself shims from used gallon and half gallon size plastic bottles. The bottles have a natural slight bend in them. I cut them into pieces about an inch by 3 inches and I can get a lot from one bottle.

When I get looseness sometimes mounting my speakers on stands or sub poles, I slide one or 2 pieces of plastic into the gap - at the back so they cannot be seen. They work great. If they go missing at shows, which they invariably do, I just make more.
Free, quick  and they work without adding weight or height.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 05:39:21 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.