Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Wireless and Communications

New RF article: It came out of Nowhere!

(1/2) > >>

Ike Zimbel:
Hi Gang,
    This came out in early February, but in case you missed it:https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/av/it-came-out-of-nowhere-rf-wireless-strategies-when-working-with-eng-efp-crews/
It covers dealing with news and video crews bringing RF gear into your event and how to deal with them...even applies to wedding bands!
Cheers,
Ike

Benjamin Krumholz:
TTi scanner is now part of almost EVERY job we do.. Even when working with production on the RF planning there are always offenders.. I have started taking pictures of credentials and even confiscating batteries..
My favorite is when you see a bunch of TV vans showing up and the IFB TX frequencies go crazy! Zero span the freq and you hear your favorite TV show.. ( Doctor Phil, Judge Judy, Local News) Google the tv show and time of day.. Locate broadcaster and match call sign to van.. Walk up to van and ask to turn off RF.. They claim that they are not transmitting.. You show them the Freq and tell them to Turn OFF... Watch them look around as if they have no idea.. Then they go over to the control panel and switch off the IFB like nothing happened! Got YA!
If any one asks you who YOU are.. Show them this..

Ike Zimbel:

--- Quote from: Benjamin Krumholz on March 17, 2018, 09:29:36 PM ---TTi scanner is now part of almost EVERY job we do.. Even when working with production on the RF planning there are always offenders.. I have started taking pictures of credentials and even confiscating batteries..
My favorite is when you see a bunch of TV vans showing up and the IFB TX frequencies go crazy! Zero span the freq and you hear your favorite TV show.. ( Doctor Phil, Judge Judy, Local News) Google the tv show and time of day.. Locate broadcaster and match call sign to van.. Walk up to van and ask to turn off RF.. They claim that they are not transmitting.. You show them the Freq and tell them to Turn OFF... Watch them look around as if they have no idea.. Then they go over to the control panel and switch off the IFB like nothing happened! Got YA!
If any one asks you who YOU are.. Show them this..

--- End quote ---
Yep, had those discussions. I'm keeping a book on the local truck IFB's and usually just add them into my coordination right from the start. To be fair, I've talked to many of the truck techs and they all say the same thing: "We're here to cover your event, right now, but if something happens down the street (like the kind of bad stuff that makes the news...) we're going straight there and there's no way I'm going to have time to mess around changing IFB frequencies back to what the station gave us". So sometimes you just have to be aware and work around them.

Scott Helmke:
Ah yes, the lone rangers and their "lucky frequency".

And keeping track and getting to know the people is the best thing you can do.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Ike Zimbel on March 18, 2018, 02:13:38 PM --- Yep, had those discussions. I'm keeping a book on the local truck IFB's and usually just add them into my coordination right from the start. To be fair, I've talked to many of the truck techs and they all say the same thing: "We're here to cover your event, right now, but if something happens down the street (like the kind of bad stuff that makes the news...) we're going straight there and there's no way I'm going to have time to mess around changing IFB frequencies back to what the station gave us". So sometimes you just have to be aware and work around them.

--- End quote ---

I just worked a major broadcast sporting event - non-compliant locals were told they would be banned from the property if they violated RF coordination after being told to retune or shut off offending transmitters.  The league backed up the on-site coordinator and threatened to revoke credentials.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version