ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Code? Or not???  (Read 14701 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Code? Or not???
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 05:05:16 PM »

Hey, with two extension cords plugged in to the adapter, you can power your house and the RV from one generator outlet!  8)

It has and will be done...
I suspect you are right :o
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 11:06:30 PM »

NEC 210.21(B)(3) States that a 20 amp circuit can have either 15 or 20 amp receptacles connected to it-30 amp circuits can have 30 amp receptacles-I suspect that any inspector would flag this.

Also, 210.21(B)(2) restricts the maximum connected load to a 20 amp receptacle to 16 amps.  I suppose since this actually connected to 2 receptacles, you could technically draw a full 20 amps from a 20 amp circuit.
Steve Swaffer

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 11:22:32 PM »

NEC 210.21(B)(3) States that a 20 amp circuit can have either 15 or 20 amp receptacles connected to it-30 amp circuits can have 30 amp receptacles-I suspect that any inspector would flag this.

Also, 210.21(B)(2) restricts the maximum connected load to a 20 amp receptacle to 16 amps.  I suppose since this actually connected to 2 receptacles, you could technically draw a full 20 amps from a 20 amp circuit.

I don’t think code restricts 30a outlets to only 30a circuits.
You could protect a 50a outlet with a 15a breaker if you wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 07:43:59 AM »

I'm not familiar with RV wiring and something just occurred to me.
 Is this designed to get 220 from a "split" receptacle or just spread the load of 120 over 2 outlets?
If the latter, there would be some interesting results if plugged into a "split" receptacle!!!

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 08:00:02 AM »

Other stand point is that 30 amp draw on 15 or 20 amp breaker would trip the breaker open.  RV with 30 amp draw is for powering hot water heater or Air conditioner.  if not using both than the lights and kitchen utilities will work OK if your not running the Fridge and the crockpot together. 

Steve Crump

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 12:19:15 PM »

I'm not familiar with RV wiring and something just occurred to me.
 Is this designed to get 220 from a "split" receptacle or just spread the load of 120 over 2 outlets?
If the latter, there would be some interesting results if plugged into a "split" receptacle!!!

No, it is 120 volt to 120 volt. This adapter just allows you to connect the standard 30AMP/120 volt RV cord to a standard duplex receptacle. Both are 120 volt

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 01:10:36 PM »

No, it is 120 volt to 120 volt. This adapter just allows you to connect the standard 30AMP/120 volt RV cord to a standard duplex receptacle. Both are 120 volt
OK...so it parallels the hots to one side of the 30 amp and the neutrals to the other side.
BIG fun if connected to a split cct receptacle!  :o
Back to the OP question...no it does nor meet code.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 02:27:42 PM »

OK...so it parallels the hots to one side of the 30 amp and the neutrals to the other side.
BIG fun if connected to a split cct receptacle!  :o
Back to the OP question...no it does nor meet code.

Which Article? NFPA70/NEC USA.  I'm sure Hydro Ontario has something to say about it... ;)

I can think of a couple instances where this device would be a problem; they are uncommon but still accepted practice and have been covered here already.

Here's my question for the forum - is this device still available?  My thinking is that if there has been an issue "in the wild" that there would have been a lawsuit and the product likely withdrawn from the market... really, how much profit potential is there for this device, at least in the USA, versus the liability?  I can see the attorney fees much greater than the profits...

But "Is it safe?" (Marathon Man reference).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »

I don’t think code restricts 30a outlets to only 30a circuits.
You could protect a 50a outlet with a 15a breaker if you wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

210.21(B)(3) Says
Where connected to a branch circuit supplying 2 or more receptacles, receptacle ratings shall conform to the values listed in Table 210.21(B)(3) or where rated higher than 50 amperes  the receptacle rating shall not be less than the branch circuit rating"

The table lists:

15 amp circuits....not over 15 amp receptacle rating
20 amp circuits... 15 or 20 amp receptacle rating
30 amp circuits....30 amp receptacle rating
40 amp circuits....40 or 50 amp receptacle rating
50 amp circuit.... 50 amp receptacle rating

I would read "conforming" to mean these are acceptable combinations?
Steve Swaffer

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2018, 03:11:03 PM »

210.21(B)(3) Says
Where connected to a branch circuit supplying 2 or more receptacles, receptacle ratings shall conform to the values listed in Table 210.21(B)(3) or where rated higher than 50 amperes  the receptacle rating shall not be less than the branch circuit rating"

The table lists:

15 amp circuits....not over 15 amp receptacle rating
20 amp circuits... 15 or 20 amp receptacle rating
30 amp circuits....30 amp receptacle rating
40 amp circuits....40 or 50 amp receptacle rating
50 amp circuit.... 50 amp receptacle rating

I would read "conforming" to mean these are acceptable combinations?

Yes, and that other combinations of OCPD, wiring and receptacle ratings when supplying 2 or more receptacles are not permitted.  Most AHJs will  likely consider a duplex Edison outlet to be *2* receptacles, but YMMV.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2018, 03:11:03 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.