ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Code? Or not???  (Read 14703 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Code? Or not???
« on: March 17, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »

One of my RV readers sent this plug to me. He bought it maybe 10 years ago but was afraid to use it. As you can see, this adapter plugs into a standard NEMA 5-15 duplex receptacle and converts it to a TT-30 RV plug. Now, they don't suggest that this will create 30-amps of current from what's obviously a 20-amp max receptacle. But it would double the contact area available and possibly prevent overheating in the wall receptacle contacts.

So what do you think? Code compliant or code breaker? And if so, what part of the code? I have thought about the scenario of a split receptacle with one side on a wall switch, but even this wouldn't do any harm. Or would it? Am I missing something here? 

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Code? Or not???
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 01:27:42 PM »

I would expect it not to be code compliant even if UL approved. It shares the characteristics of the commonly available 6 outlet adapters that also take both parts of a duplex.

Why? Well, while not common on outside receptacles, having one half of a duplex controlled by a switch is common in living rooms and bedrooms. This device would backfeed the switch.

At my house, all the duplexes on the driveway light poles have one outlet switched to power holiday lights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mike Sokol

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 01:35:59 PM »

I would expect it not to be code compliant even if UL approved. It shares the characteristics of the commonly available 6 outlet adapters that also take both parts of a duplex.

Why? Well, while not common on outside receptacles, having one half of a duplex controlled by a switch is common in living rooms and bedrooms. This device would backfeed the switch.

I understand that part. But exactly what section of the code would it be violating? I'll dive in and look at the code later, but while this seems like an obvious violation, except for a switch controlled half-duplex receptacle, I'm not sure why this would be such a bad idea.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 01:46:38 PM »

This is from memory which at my age is far from perfect but I seem to recall standard mains outlets being rated for only 15A per blade, despite being routinely connected to 20A branches. Paralleling both outlets in theory should increase current handling if the blade contact is a limitation.

I just checked a couple chinese GFCI outlets I have laying around and they say 20A, but not how that rating is established.

JR

PS: Regarding UL approval I get the sense it is a little like getting a patent (you just throw money at it). If UL marked, I'd look for small print caveats in the packaging.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 02:48:37 PM »

Two inputs will never be code compliant. 

Barry Singleton

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 02:51:42 PM »

Two inputs will never be code compliant.

Yeah, imagine that plugged into an extension cord. :(

Barry.
If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 03:10:52 PM »

For thinking of any possible what if scenario, just think what would happen is the duplex outlet was split and each side where on a different phase. I could easily see happening in a split outlet where one side was on a switch.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 03:32:40 PM »

Barry.

I hadn't considered the stupid factor, but that's a real possibility...

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 03:44:50 PM »

I understand that part. But exactly what section of the code would it be violating? I'll dive in and look at the code later, but while this seems like an obvious violation, except for a switch controlled half-duplex receptacle, I'm not sure why this would be such a bad idea.
The dual receptacle that this plugs into would have to have a dual pole breaker that trips both legs at the same time.
Otherwise, it's a good question as to what part of the code this would violate.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 04:10:19 PM »

Barry.
Hey, with two extension cords plugged in to the adapter, you can power your house and the RV from one generator outlet!  8)

It has and will be done...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 04:10:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.