ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pedal board velcro vs Dual Lock  (Read 7653 times)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: Pedal board velcro vs Dual Lock
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 12:04:19 AM »

Debbie, I use Dual-Lock in the fairing of my motorcycle to attach various electrical accessories (12v 6 circuit fused distro, relay junction boxes, etc.) and haven't had any looseness or unintended movement. The Dual-Lock adhesive is stronger than that on Velcro, so it stays adhered to plastic and aluminum items. I've never had a problem removing a 3" x 6" patch, so long as I started lifting at a corner and peeling the item off.  70k+ miles and 10 years and still holding strong....
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 08:11:51 PM »

Wow Stephen that's impressive!  I always had at least one or two pedals that wouldn't take batteries, so that would have been a great workaround.
The cool thing is that you just plug in a USB cord and recharge it.  Leave all the 9V plugs in all wired up like if you had a Voodoo Labs but no need to find an AC outlet.

Jay Marr

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 10:07:18 PM »

Once you use a bit of dual lock you will not go back to regular velcro.

Until you decide to move one of the pedals on your pedal board.... ;)

Dual lock is too much for me.  I have actually destroyed the bottom (of a cheap pedal), because the dual lock would not come apart when I needed to take the pedal off.

I've probably built 30-35 pedal boards (guitar player), and I'm really anal about things needed to be 'screwed and glued' into place.
Regular velcro is the way to go.  We're not hanging our pedal boards from the ceiling for 8 hours.  Pedals will never move using just regular velcro, and you won't destroy your pedal removing them later.

If I need to firmly attach a pedal (heavy or large), I will remove the feet (screws), put a piece of thin tin strapping with holes in it (used for duct work) between the device and the foot, and screw it back on.  Then screw the strapping to my board.
I love building pedal boards.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 12:13:31 AM »

I have always used industrial velcro, you can find a giant roll of it at home depot or the like for about $30ish (this should be enough for several pedal boards) The stuff is crazy strong, and you do not need much. Have never had a pedal fall or come detached. You can of course move pedals around. I made the mistake of covering the entire length of my volume pedal with velcro, to move it I need to wedge a knife under it :-P
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 08:41:02 AM »

I hate dual lock on pedals. I tried it on my board, and needed a small pry bar to get a larger pedal off the board to move it.

2" Velcro is more than enough, and you don't risk damaging a pedal during a mid show trouble shooting episode, or throwing a pedal on your board to test drive it. I use denatured alcohol and 3M spray adhesive to better adhere the Velcro to the board and pedals. My board (a Gator) rides in every position imaginable and I never lose a pedal.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2018, 07:46:58 PM »

I haven't had any problems using velcro in the last 20 years of gigging. My main "pedal board" has 2 wireless receivers, a tuner, a mute switch, a power strip, and a 9v power supply.
For some of the larger stuff, I sometimes use a butter knife to separate the devices from the board when needed.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 10:19:47 PM »

I'm surprised how many people are saying velcro has worked for them.  It never really worked for me.  The velco itself holds, but the adhesive backing has always turned into a gummy mess in the heat of a trunk or direct sun and then the pedals are falling off in the road case.  I just get longer screws now and go through the pedalboard (birch plywood painted black with some rubber feet) and pick up the same threads that hold the bottom of the pedals on.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 10:19:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.