ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jbl SRX 815p- issue -led says its an 812p?  (Read 5846 times)

Dustin Campbell

Jbl SRX 815p- issue -led says its an 812p?
« on: March 15, 2018, 01:56:15 PM »

So, I ordered my srx815's - I powered one up and its says its an 812p on the lcd screen- I thought I was crazy so I hooked it up to the six connect app and sure enough same thing. I know it is the same power amp but I think the tunings would be different for a 12in and a 15in speaker? Thoughts? I looked up on JBL - doesn't seem to be a way to switch the firmware so I called the dealer and am going to send it back- wish there was a quick fix.
Banning CA,

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Jbl SRX 815p- issue -led says its an 812p?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 01:59:59 PM »

So, I ordered my srx815's - I powered one up and its says its an 812p on the lcd screen- I thought I was crazy so I hooked it up to the six connect app and sure enough same thing. I know it is the same power amp but I think the tunings would be different for a 12in and a 15in speaker? Thoughts? I looked up on JBL - doesn't seem to be a way to switch the firmware so I called the dealer and am going to send it back- wish there was a quick fix.

I'm not sure how Audio Architect would handle stuffing the right firmware in the box when the box says it's something else.

I'd suggest a quick call to JBL and see.  If you're already using Audio Architect this might be a 2 minute fix *if it's possible*.  I doubt SRX Connect has the ability to do this, though.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Gaines

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 02:01:12 PM »

That's a bummer!
Yeah, definitely looks like they put the wrong firmware on the Amp.
What a stupid mistake.

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 02:29:42 PM »

I was going to download audio architect - but it looks like it is pc only- I have a pc that i haven't fired up in quite a while and probably would entail a bunch of updates - lot of cobb webs- what is the best way to contact JBL?(never mind I found it on their website - Duh)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:45:30 PM by Dustin Campbell »
Banning CA,

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 02:31:31 PM »

I'm not sure how Audio Architect would handle stuffing the right firmware in the box when the box says it's something else.

I'd suggest a quick call to JBL and see.  If you're already using Audio Architect this might be a 2 minute fix *if it's possible*.  I doubt SRX Connect has the ability to do this, though.

SRX connect app - definitely can not do this- just basic controls - but still kinda cool.
Banning CA,

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 02:47:04 PM »

I just got off the phone with JBL and they said it needs to be swapped out - the frequency response would be completely different. That's what I figured.
Banning CA,

Scott Gaines

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 02:50:33 AM »

Well at least they aren't dicking you around. Please let us know about the turnaround time.
And let them know you're updating us on turnaround time. That might improve the response.

Rick Powell

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 12:26:24 PM »

I just got off the phone with JBL and they said it needs to be swapped out - the frequency response would be completely different. That's what I figured.

Do they want you to send back the whole speaker, or just the amp module?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 01:45:54 PM »

Do they want you to send back the whole speaker, or just the amp module?

Brand new, out of the box... the whole speaker.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 02:21:41 PM »

It's reassuring to know JBL tests all their products before shipping... ::)

Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

John Fruits

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 02:27:00 PM »

I have to wonder how many others were programmed wrong?
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 03:44:31 PM »

I have to wonder how many others were programmed wrong?

Probably a bunch.  Hard to say if the amp is programmed before installing in the cabinet or after but my guess is a whole shifts worth.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 06:10:37 PM »

Probably a bunch.  Hard to say if the amp is programmed before installing in the cabinet or after but my guess is a whole shifts worth.

The part number of the amp is different.  Not sure what part of end of line they flash them.  Probably before they go into the cabinet.

How could this pass the sweep test let alone a visual QA?

Wonder if they sweep the drivers out of the cabinet and end of line testing is mechanical only?

Love to see the ISO process docs on this.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 06:46:20 PM »

The part number of the amp is different.  Not sure what part of end of line they flash them.  Probably before they go into the cabinet.

Wonder if they sweep the drivers out of the cabinet and end of line testing is mechanical only?

What tests?  JBL makes a weatherized custom shop box (that lists for $15k) that I end up using often.  It has been a standard for 3 years now that 2 of every 20 need to be opened up and fixed upon arrival to us.  Cold solder joints, miswiring, excess glue causing cone rubbing, and outright bad drivers are the common culprits.   I have asked to see complex impedance, rub and buzz, or any other sort of results that prove a quality check was performed. So far nothing.  Their orders are getting fewer and fewer.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 07:51:26 PM »

What tests?  JBL makes a weatherized custom shop box (that lists for $15k) that I end up using often.  It has been a standard for 3 years now that 2 of every 20 need to be opened up and fixed upon arrival to us.  Cold solder joints, miswiring, excess glue causing cone rubbing, and outright bad drivers are the common culprits.   I have asked to see complex impedance, rub and buzz, or any other sort of results that prove a quality check was performed. So far nothing.  Their orders are getting fewer and fewer.

That's just plain sad.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »

Yes, typically you put the finished product in a chamber and run signals though it.  Often to catch what we call rub and buzz.  Meaning you can test the drivers but if they aren't tightened you get extraneous noises that show up in sweeps and such.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.