ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Limiter / Leveler for DJs (Gain control over the course of hours not seconds)  (Read 3271 times)

Josh Billings

I'm looking for something that can ride a fader like a human VERY slowly.

Like If i could get a limiter with a 1 minute release time, I'd be stoked :-)

Is there a hardware / VST thing that could work here? I'm basically trying to keep levels from exceeding a certain point but still keep a hot signal no matter with the DJ decides to do for online streaming. I'd prefer a cheap / free software solution, but haven't found anything yet.

Josh

Dave Bednarski

Use a compressor?

Jonathan Woytek

• http://www.dryrose.com

Is there a hardware / VST thing that could work here? I'm basically trying to keep levels from exceeding a certain point but still keep a hot signal no matter with the DJ decides to do for online streaming. I'd prefer a cheap / free software solution, but haven't found anything yet.

Josh

What you are looking for is probably an Automatic Gain Control (AGC; sometimes the "C" is called "compensation") device or plugin. Typically, these are used to bring up quieter material and bring down louder material to some nominal gain level. There are a bunch of VST auto-level plugins that reference a track against a mix. That's likely not what you want (though you could theoretically reference against pink noise at your nominal output level). I'd maybe look for some of the broadcast-related plugins and devices, which are probably more of what you're after. Your system most likely includes some limiting already, but I'd also maybe use a brickwall limiter so that the overall output doesn't exceed whatever your "safe" threshhold is for your system, and maybe a separate one for the broadcast feed so that you don't overload whatever encoder you're using.

jonathan
Jonathan Woytek
Dryrose Productions

Keith Broughton

• Toronto

Josh
You can setup a compressor with a high ratio, medium attack and very slow release.(2-3 seconds or more)
Set the threashold to really step on a loud track and the quieter ones will be left alone.
This takes a bit of tweaking but I use it for BG music to keep levels in check.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Richard Turner

E3-30SM maybe?

https://www.estwing.com/collections/nail-hammers/products/claw-hammer

also if anyone finds a plugin or mixer routing solution where the aux for the dj monitor would  triple in volume when th FOH feed increased past threshold that would be great. that way they roast themselves wore than the audiance.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA

The Drawmer SP2120 does an excellent job controlling levels at a few clubs I've sold them to.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Dennis Wiggins

The Drawmer SP2120 does an excellent job controlling levels at a few clubs I've sold them to.

Here's an entertaining write-up about the Drawmer...

https://www.gtaust.com/filter/03/06.shtml

-Dennis

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto

Can you confirm if you want equal volume of different tracks of music or if you want a maximum volume restriction?
As you can see by the answers, these are 2 different things.

I read it as equal volume.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Robert Lofgren

What mixer?

If it is an x32 or similar then you could automate this with a home made app.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.