ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SHORT sub pole/distance rod or strap down or just stack?  (Read 4028 times)

Jonathan Woytek

• http://www.dryrose.com
SHORT sub pole/distance rod or strap down or just stack?
« on: March 14, 2018, 03:49:01 PM »

Hi all. Coming to the really smart hive mind here for a deployment question. I have a theatre gig coming up soon where I'm going to be stage-stacking a single top over a single dual-12 sub (cabinets in question are JTR Noesis 3tx and JTR Captivator 212pro, for size reference). A direct-stack height combination puts the top pretty much where I want it, maybe a touch lower than where I'd put it on a stand from the house floor level. The horn ends up pretty close to level with rows approaching the rear, and distance to the first rows is about appropriate for a 60-degree horn.

I went looking to see if I could find a really short sub pole/distance rod (like, 1-1.5ft), which would put the speaker where I've modeled its most ideal height for this space. K&M makes the 21329 "adapter", which seems to be about the right height, but the listed tube diameter seems small (1.181", which seems a good amount short of the 1.375" or so that the pole cups are). That makes it seem less than ideal. It's also threaded, and I don't think the JTR pole cup is threaded, so there would be that weirdness. Is anyone aware of a short pole? I suppose I could buy inexpensive ones and cut them down, too, but eh.. I don't know, so I thought I'd ask.

An alternate option is to just go with the simple stack, which gets things pretty close. And, I suppose I could put together a small platform and paint it black to give me the extra foot or so that I want. Then this brings up the questioin of strapping. This is an indoor event and should not have anyone near the speakers themselves. I'm not sure if I should be thinking about straps or not. I've seen plenty of similar events with similar setups that didn't use straps, but again, I figured I would ask and get the opinions of the smart-thinking folks here.

A third option I didn't bring up in the subject would be to get a somewhat longer distance rod and a set of TMB EZ-Tilt's. Those look great, but I don't have many events where I need that kind of functionality right now.

Any thoughts?

jonathan
Jonathan Woytek
Dryrose Productions

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: SHORT sub pole/distance rod or strap down or just stack?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 03:59:55 PM »

Get a pair of cheap extension poles and get out the hack saw.
You'll definitely use them again.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 05:50:47 PM »

Can’t find a pic on my phone…

I had two, 6 inch, 1-3/8 aluminum round cut from Metal Depot.  The custom cut was $10/each.  Works great.  I am using it w/ Danley SM80 over TH118 when I don't need poles (or being lazy).

https://www.metalsdepot.com/search?q=R3138

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 07:01:17 PM »

Milk crate wrapped in black cloth and straps?

I have a bunch of short Al tubes from a long lost DIY system where I put bungee cord in them like tent poles.  (I took out the slip joint inside tubes)  There have been a couple of times where I've stacked my single 18s and put these on top.  Works great.  I also use one on top of my DSR112 sub at the drum riser.

Rick Powell

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 08:08:25 PM »

It is easy to find aluminum tubing stock, I assume you don't have a threaded base. The cheap extension poles (like OnStage or a similar brand) cut with a hacksaw is an OK route to go; you might accomplish the same thing even cheaper if you go to a machine shop or metals supplier and either have them cut some 1 3/8" O.D. aluminum tubing to length or cut it yourself.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »

...or, use tubing from an old tripod stand and cut to length. Use a square ($5 at Menards) and a file to make it level and smooth.  I did this and now have a variety of lengths to choose from.

-Dennis
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:04:40 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Mark Wilkinson

Jonathan Woytek

• http://www.dryrose.com
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 11:18:39 PM »

Thanks, all. After reading here, I was more comfortable doing a custom pole for this application. I do several shows in this space every year, so it makes sense to have a few useful solutions in my kit. I don’t have any old tripod stands of the correct diameter, but I do have local access to steel tube in 1.375, so that and some flat black wins.

Jonathan
Jonathan Woytek
Dryrose Productions

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 04:08:37 AM »

Yes.

I have a couple of very short pieces for when the tops stack directly onto the subs.  It just helps hold them in the right place (use ratchet straps too).

Steve.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 06:42:29 PM »

...or, use tubing from an old tripod stand and cut to length. Use a square ($5 at Menards) and a file to make it level and smooth.  I did this and now have a variety of lengths to choose from.

-Dennis
A Harbor Freight tubing cutter isn't that expensive and does a nice square job.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 06:42:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.