ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Penn-Elcom users... one-person usage...?  (Read 5086 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Penn-Elcom users... one-person usage...?
« on: March 14, 2018, 02:21:27 PM »

To any of you Penn-Elcom speaker lift users, is there a way to open up (flip up) the stands as one person?  The size and weight of the lifts (the bulky-ness of them) is just slightly out of my strength and "stretching" ability.  I thought about making something like a "dead-man lift" to "articulate" the upper arm into position, but getting the arm down (releasing it) may be another issue.

These are the ones that are 36" wide by 4m tall - just slightly out of my comfort/safety zone.

Looking for ideas on how to manage the setup and tear-down of these as a one person "show".  So far, and without "tools", it's not really working out.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Penn-Elcom users... one-person usage...?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 04:21:29 PM »

The "Guillotine" lifts?  How is it assembled (what order) and is it hinged at the base? The pic on the website isn't terribly revealing.

I'd prefer a helper.

For those playing along at home:

http://penn-elcom.com/default.asp?PN=SAS&LG=EN
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »

The "Guillotine" lifts?  How is it assembled (what order) and is it hinged at the base? The pic on the website isn't terribly revealing.

I'd prefer a helper.

For those playing along at home:

http://penn-elcom.com/default.asp?PN=SAS&LG=EN
It looks like it's hinged mid-height on the two uprights.

Some creative but minimal welding and some gas-charged springs would make that thing deploy very easy by one person.

Meanwhile try a method I used for truss towers a long time ago.
get a swivelling dual-cheseboro and a length of lightweight tubing clamped to one of the upper-sections vertical members as a pusher to get it vertical once its above normal reach.  Then just leave it hanging down the side during the show for later use during strike.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 05:23:03 PM »

The push stick is one of the things I considered but... I think those are spigot joints, not hinges.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 09:17:42 PM »

Some creative but minimal welding and some gas-charged springs would make that thing deploy very easy by one person.

get a swivelling dual-cheseboro and a length of lightweight tubing clamped to one of the upper-sections vertical members as a pusher to get it vertical once its above normal reach.  Then just leave it hanging down the side during the show for later use during strike.
Thanks guys.  Yep, they bend in the middle; the pictures are a little deceiving... the point where they bend is actually about 6 ft. tall (my height).  The base is solid; the stand fits down into the base (at the sides).  It's a very solid lift.

The push stick would probably work, but getting the stand to un-fold is another issue.  After thinking about all this, I may have to have a large ladder with me.

I'll try the push stick.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 09:34:14 PM »

Great drawing.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 09:44:48 PM »

Thanks guys.  Yep, they bend in the middle; the pictures are a little deceiving... the point where they bend is actually about 6 ft. tall (my height).  The base is solid; the stand fits down into the base (at the sides).  It's a very solid lift.

The push stick would probably work, but getting the stand to un-fold is another issue.  After thinking about all this, I may have to have a large ladder with me.

I'll try the push stick.

Now that I look at that picture one more time I see it's collapsed.   M'kay. 

While I like the "kinda camouflaged" suggestion of Craig's I'm not sure having the pole remain attached to the frame will work with your OCD regarding appearance.  I'd also suggest that you might benefit from a second pole that's more along the line of a shepherd's crook.

Thinking about this some more, can you assemble it on its side (winch up) and then walk it upright?

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 02:03:09 AM »

To any of you Penn-Elcom speaker lift users, is there a way to open up (flip up) the stands as one person?  The size and weight of the lifts (the bulky-ness of them) is just slightly out of my strength and "stretching" ability.  I thought about making something like a "dead-man lift" to "articulate" the upper arm into position, but getting the arm down (releasing it) may be another issue.

These are the ones that are 36" wide by 4m tall - just slightly out of my comfort/safety zone.

Looking for ideas on how to manage the setup and tear-down of these as a one person "show".  So far, and without "tools", it's not really working out.

How hard would it be to tip it over sideways and swing the top section like a gate?
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 07:32:12 AM »

Penn-Elcom shows to place the lift (without the base) on its side and unfold/lock into position; then set it upright and "place" into the base (though, using 2 people).

I can get it unfolded/locked and standing upright..., the big issue is the height and sort of the weight.  I can (being careful) carry the frame (unfolded/locked) and in the upright position, but the area that I am holding the frame onto is below the joints, which is just below the 1/2 way point of the length of the frame; which (thanks to physics), places a majority of the weight and height above my head.  And trying to align the frame supports with the bass "receiver" is extremely difficult due to the inertia of the frame swaying back and forth as I try to control it.  I've been unsuccessful with getting the frame attached to the base -- with the frame unfolded/locked.

With the frame folded, I can get it installed in the base, but then I can't get it unfolded (goes back to the weight and height).

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 11:10:10 AM »

Penn-Elcom shows to place the lift (without the base) on its side and unfold/lock into position; then set it upright and "place" into the base (though, using 2 people).

I can get it unfolded/locked and standing upright..., the big issue is the height and sort of the weight.  I can (being careful) carry the frame (unfolded/locked) and in the upright position, but the area that I am holding the frame onto is below the joints, which is just below the 1/2 way point of the length of the frame; which (thanks to physics), places a majority of the weight and height above my head.  And trying to align the frame supports with the bass "receiver" is extremely difficult due to the inertia of the frame swaying back and forth as I try to control it.  I've been unsuccessful with getting the frame attached to the base -- with the frame unfolded/locked.

With the frame folded, I can get it installed in the base, but then I can't get it unfolded (goes back to the weight and height).

Would it tip sideways with the base attached? Maybe block the base supports so the adjustable feet don't get tweaked and tip it over. Then when you have opened the lift frame and locked it in place use sandbags to weight the base so you can tip it back upright without it being too top heavy.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 11:10:10 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.