ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a right and wrong way? (Active subs/mains)  (Read 5450 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Is there a right and wrong way? (Active subs/mains)
« on: March 14, 2018, 10:20:59 AM »

Gents, here's a question I'm hoping to squash and get some REAL info on.

I recently purchased some active subs and active mains for smaller events in bars/lounges...

Subs are JBL EON500 with pole mounted mains that are EV ZLX12p. The guy I purchased these subs from said that he always ran his main outs first to the subs (L/R) and then connected from the sub output to the top mains..

Is this the correct method? Or - would you run first to your active mains then on the menu select the mode that subs are connected then select your frequency (80 or 120) then connect to the active sub?

Curious to know which is correct, if any.
Thanks.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Roland Clarke

Re: Is there a right and wrong way? (Active subs/mains)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 10:31:37 AM »

Gents, here's a question I'm hoping to squash and get some REAL info on.

I recently purchased some active subs and active mains for smaller events in bars/lounges...

Subs are JBL EON500 with pole mounted mains that are EV ZLX12p. The guy I purchased these subs from said that he always ran his main outs first to the subs (L/R) and then connected from the sub output to the top mains..

Is this the correct method? Or - would you run first to your active mains then on the menu select the mode that subs are connected then select your frequency (80 or 120) then connect to the active sub?

Curious to know which is correct, if any.
Thanks.

Any of these speakers should have a parallel output that you would then send the full range into tops or subs.  This all depends on the system having (in the case of tops), internal high pass filters for when they are used with subs.  I suspect that his way of doing it is perfectly good and I indeed use that same method with a JBL srx system I have, which has settings for using of subs and tops together.

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 10:37:25 AM »

Either can be fine
It depends on the specific gear used.
It's a signal flow thing, how it's connected can range between cascaded crossovers and no crossovers set for either box.

Link outputs are usually pre DSP, "top/high/main" outs on subs are mostly processed(hpf) with a DSP bypass option.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:54:39 AM »

select the mode that subs are connected then select your frequency (80 or 120) then connect to the active sub?

On this top speaker; this selection has no effect on what is being sent to the sub, only how the internal crossover in the top is set. The signal going to to the sub is still full range.

The sub output  depends on how you have the pass thru switch selected as  you have an option for it to be full range or affected by a 120 hz HPF to match the built in crossover in the sub.

Regardless you're going want to match the crossover point on both. If you go to the sub first and select HPF for the output, I am thinking you do not want to then also select the HPF on the top but let it run full range.  If memory serves me right you should not stack crossover filters.   

IMO going to sub first creates a neater appearance regardless of how you use the HPFs. 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:38:42 PM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 10:55:44 AM »

Both top and sub have their own crossovers built in. Thus, I don't think it matters either way. As long as both top and sub are set for the same crossover point, (120 Hz in your case,) I doubt that you would hear any noticeable difference on which comes first. Test them out hooked up both ways and see.

It appears that the output (through) plug on all boxes are selectable between high-passed or full-range output. I would leave them all set to full-range because it is not necessary to process the signal more than once.
Member since 2005.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 04:12:56 PM »

I agree with Scott that if configuration allows, I always think that going subs to tops looks better. It also uses slightly less cabling. I am a bit OCD about a tidy FOH so subs to tops gets me a neater appearance - one less cable running up/down sub pole.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 06:46:52 PM »

I agree with Scott that if configuration allows, I always think that going subs to tops looks better. It also uses slightly less cabling. I am a bit OCD about a tidy FOH so subs to tops gets me a neater appearance - one less cable running up/down sub pole.

I absolutely AGREE with keeping everything tidy. All my cables are always strapped or gaff'd to poles, floor, etc.. I'll try out some of the scenarios this weekend when I get a chance to breath and see if it doesn't anything different. But running to the sub, then to the main is probably going to work just fine.

Thanks.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 08:08:17 PM »

You? OCD?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 08:42:29 PM »

You? OCD?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

;D
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 06:13:32 PM »

;D

What do you do at a concert when there are 50 cables slung off a pick behind a flown array?

Corporate matters but geez, seeing the gear is part of the live show experience.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 06:13:32 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.