ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dry Hire Rates - 18% of retail cost, per day?  (Read 6422 times)

Robert Patch

Re: Dry Hire Rates - 18% of retail cost, per day?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 09:45:58 PM »

Corporate rate for K10's in DC is $75/day.  $10 more for a speaker stand.

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 07:13:36 PM »

Thanks for all the input. I knew I was going to get a corporate rental rate when I asked for a quote, just didn't think it was going to be that high. I guess it's possible that this particular market can bear high rental rates, or these guys don't really want to rent them out and have priced them accordingly.

I poked around at a few other production/rental houses to see what other pricing was out there. Seems like the place I hit up is on the higher end. Some sample pricing from a few other places:

QSC k12 - $85
Small system with: 2 Mackie Thumps, small mixer and 2 mics - $150
QSC K8 - $65
FBT Jolly 8b - $65 (was $90 at other place)
QSC KLA12 - $105

I really just need to make an investment in purchasing any speakers I need because renting on a per case basis is not going to be feasible.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 07:29:40 PM by Patrick Cognitore »

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 07:35:01 PM »

delete
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Othmane Alaoui

• Produkson - Sound & Lights
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 10:15:10 AM »

WoW ! In Canada Montréal area, a pair of k12 or equivalent is 50-60 a day with stands, my Adams on monitors goes out for 70 per day and the hdl20 goes out for 60-120$ a gig depending on who is using it... competition is féroce out here !

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 02:08:30 PM »

WoW ! In Canada Montréal area, a pair of k12 or equivalent is 50-60 a day with stands, my Adams on monitors goes out for 70 per day and the hdl20 goes out for 60-120$ a gig depending on who is using it... competition is féroce out here !

For those outside the country, the Canadian audio rental market has been skewed by the presence of a nation-wide chain of MI stores that, as near as I can tell, uses rentals as a loss-leader. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, because I don't own any gear (nor do I really have to).

-Russ

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 03:23:17 PM »

For those outside the country, the Canadian audio rental market has been skewed by the presence of a nation-wide chain of MI stores that, as near as I can tell, uses rentals as a loss-leader. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, because I don't own any gear (nor do I really have to).

-Russ
Their rentals are only cheap if the gear actually works, and if it's actually there when you go to pick it up.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 05:22:01 PM »

Their rentals are only cheap if the gear actually works, and if it's actually there when you go to pick it up.

True that. I'm not sure if this applies to all locations, but the ones in my area will guarantee that the gear will be available, tested, and waiting ready for pickup on the day if you pay a "hold charge" at the time of booking. The charge is a chunk, especially for short rentals, but it's still quite a bit cheaper than renting from a full-service production company, especially for small events.

That being said, never rent wireless from them.

-Russ

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 06:37:26 PM »

Ya, that's a chain wide thing- the hold charge. In many cases that charge is enough to put the rental in line with most of the competition...at least around here.
Funny (not really) story: a while back I had to rent some handheld wireless'. Upon returning them I made a point to let them know that the "missing" clips were not in the cases when I picked them up. Dude says "oh clips aren't included with the mics".
What?? OK, not a problem for me as I have plenty of clips kicking around, but for average Joe Blow it means gaffing the stupid thing to a stand. At least ask the customer if they would like to "rent the optional clip". Sheesh. Bush league.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 12:33:10 AM »

I can almost see their point with the clips...
A) They are commonly lost, and if they're Shure, minimum $5 (dealer cost) to replace
B) Often, if it's a wedding or something, they are going to be just holding the microphone anyways
C) If you didn't rent a STAND with the wireless kit, 'Why would you need a clip?'

Soooooo..... I disagree that the clips should be charged for (what, 50¢ rental?!?) but customers should be asked if they need one, and if they do, it should be free. BUT, if it doesn't come back, then by all means charge them $10 to replace it.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 03:18:57 AM »

Soooooo..... I disagree that the clips should be charged for (what, 50¢ rental?!?) but customers should be asked if they need one, and if they do, it should be free. BUT, if it doesn't come back, then by all means charge them $10 to replace it.

They won't charge you for clips (heck, they'll even throw in a free XLR, of whatever length you'd like, for each device that has an XLR jack), but they also won't volunteer them... or check to see if the kit they're sending out has a clip in it or not, even if you are renting stands. In fairness, they don't seem to check for clips when you return the gear, either. Basically, they don't care.

You'll walk out the door with something; if you pay an extra fee then that "something" will be what you actually asked for, and it will have had at least some testing. Without an extra fee, if you ask for a speaker you'll get a speaker, but it probably won't be the speaker you want, and it may or may not get tested. However, if you ask them to run a quick "does it pass signal" test they always will.

It's the ultimate dry rental: if you're willing to be on top of them (politely, of course; this is Canada) you'll get what you need at an overly-reasonable price, but they will not do any of the thinking for you. If you're expecting full service (or, really, any service), you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 03:18:57 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.