ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dry Hire Rates - 18% of retail cost, per day?  (Read 6347 times)

Patrick Cognitore

Dry Hire Rates - 18% of retail cost, per day?
« on: March 14, 2018, 01:04:10 AM »

I was looking to supplement my monitor rig for an upcoming show with my band. Put in a quote request for Yamaha DXR12 from a local production/rental company and they came back with per day rental price of $125 per speaker. I was pretty floored at that price, and obviously won't be partaking in that particular deal.

I was just wondering if this seems like a typical rental rate, or does that seem really high? I have no reference point since I've almost always used my own, purchased gear; or have hired in complete production. The area Guitar Centers rent out QSC K12's for $60 a day, but I don't love those speakers so I was looking for something different. For reference I'm in Atlanta, GA, USA.

Mal Brown

Re: Dry Hire Rates - 18% of retail cost, per day?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 01:23:40 AM »

I need to raise my rates.  I rent a pair of K12’s, gas lift stands, cables, ext cords and outlet bars at $125 per day.

My guess is they don’t really want to rent you the Yammies...  if they have inventory, maybe it’s already spoken for and the price is to entice you back into K12’s/ SM450’s, PRX 612’s, etc...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 01:41:38 AM »

I need to raise my rates.  I rent a pair of K12’s, gas lift stands, cables, ext cords and outlet bars at $125 per day.

My guess is they don’t really want to rent you the Yammies...  if they have inventory, maybe it’s already spoken for and the price is to entice you back into K12’s/ SM450’s, PRX 612’s, etc...
Your rate sounds on target to me.

Regarding the second paragraph above, I don't think they even have those other units. The Yamaha's and some smaller FBTs (Jolly 8b, which rent at $90 per day) were the lowest grade gear on their inventory list. All other monitor cabs were Nexo and Turbosound. I'd be terrified to ask the rate on a Nexo PS15.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 04:09:44 AM »

Hi Patrick-

The rates being charged are around what I'd expect an AV shop that does corporate events to charge, which is substantially more than what bands can pay.

Are you familiar with the lodging/hospitality term "rack rate"?  Back when hotels had a card rack (like a time card rack in a factory) the rate for each room was posted on the slot the room folio card was in.  That was the rate the clerk charged anyone without a reservation at a special rate or who did not qualify for a walk up discount (AAA, AARP, "commercial rate", etc).

That's what you were quoted - the we-don't-know-you-from-Adam rate.  You can probably get a better quote by calling back and asking for a business to business rate.  "Hey, I need to make a few bucks on this, too..."  If you have your insurance, sales tax and business registration stuff together you will probably qualify.  Expect at least 30% off.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Roland Clarke

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 10:23:43 AM »

All the above advice is of course correct, however, I would add that there are often 3-4 rates.  The rate you are being charged is of course too high for any sound company to pay, usual rates are 2-5% depending on kit, sometimes higher inthe case of fragile kit like lapel mics which endure such a hard life they are almost consumables.

Companies here in the U.K. generally have the standard card rate, but I and most others would expect an inter company’s rate which should give 20 - 30% on this and sometimes other benefits such as 3 days for the price of 2.  I also expect to see things like leads, and other peripherals included at no additional charge on package hires.

You also have to expect that hire companies get a bit nervous about hiring the “small” kit items, particularly things like speakers and wireless as they are often abused, I remember a friend that hired a number of small speakers for a wedding party that came back with several blown drivers.  If you get to know a company and they trust that you know what you are doing and the kit will be returned in the same condition it was hired I would guess that you could be paying as little as $30-60 a box per day.

This is a trust business, you might have to shop around and find someone that you can work with who will give you more discount once you prove yourself.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 10:48:56 AM »

I was looking to supplement my monitor rig for an upcoming show with my band. Put in a quote request for Yamaha DXR12 from a local production/rental company and they came back with per day rental price of $125 per speaker. I was pretty floored at that price, and obviously won't be partaking in that particular deal.

In our market, we charge 2 1/2% - 5% for a dry hire.  It depends on who is getting the equipment along with if we have a relationship with them.  We try to be fair and reasonable.  I do know of others in our market that change up to 10%.  From our companies stand point, I want to be fair and reasonable with everyone.  Chances are if you treat customers right, they will be back event after event which means less looking for work and more income.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Steve Crump

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 10:58:56 AM »

I was just wondering if this seems like a typical rental rate, or does that seem really high? I have no reference point since I've almost always used my own, purchased gear; or have hired in complete production. The area Guitar Centers rent out QSC K12's for $60 a day, but I don't love those speakers so I was looking for something different. For reference I'm in Atlanta, GA, USA.

The last AV production group I spoke with close to your area said their rental fees were based on 10% of retail purchase. Of course, they were going to get out of dry hire because of equipment abuse. 

Scott Helmke

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 01:54:10 PM »

$125?!?  Obviously they don't really want to be doing dry hires.

Agreed on the 2-5%-ish rates. We list a K12 at $35/day.

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 05:20:21 PM »

While I dislike them on mains, I find the K12 makes an excellent monitor. You might just rent one and see how it works as a wedge.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 09:13:58 PM »

where I am at, 10% of retail is the norm. Which I think is fair. Some do 5% of retail, but that cost is contingent on them running the show which will add other costs that bring the cost back to the nominal amount.

$125 per speaker is about the max you can charge for even a high dollar unit such as Meyer or D&B where I am at. If you said $125 per speaker for something you can get at Guitar Center, you would be laughed down the street. To give you an idea, I charge $75 for an SRX-812sp and that is the best you can get in my area for that price. Basic rule of thumb is $75 or lower for a powered speaker and $50 or lower for a passive speaker. Amplifiers rent universally for around $50 and wireless mics $75 per channel. I rent my EV ZX1's for $30. Those are 8" passive speakers. After a $50 amplifier rental it works out to $55 per speaker. I won't charge for the speaker cable and stands if you rent them together. I consider the speaker cable and stands a complimentary item ( you pretty much have to have them in order to utilize the system ). Some places that charge lower rates will charge $30 for the speaker, $50 for the amp, $10 per speaker cable and $10 per speaker stand, making a basic stereo rig cost around $150 before tax and other potential fee's. About the same overall cost, but more line items.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 09:13:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.