ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Community loudspeaker R 2 Max  (Read 6852 times)

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: Community loudspeaker R 2 Max
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 05:12:06 PM »

These parades often end up as a little pissing contest to see who can play the loudest mistaking it for impact.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk

That's what it looks like to me!  If the crowd is on each side of the bandtrailer/bandtruck, why are the sound systems "aimed?" straight forward and backward?  That looks like each bandtruck is mostly interested in trying to out-do the one in front and behind, the crowd be damned!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 07:41:11 PM »

That's what it looks like to me!  If the crowd is on each side of the bandtrailer/bandtruck, why are the sound systems "aimed?" straight forward and backward?  That looks like each bandtruck is mostly interested in trying to out-do the one in front and behind, the crowd be damned!

You beat me to it.  Just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't you want the speakers aimed at the audience?  How does this not just become a giant mash of indiscernible noise?  Also, putting my commercial driver hat on, how are these even safe/legal to drive?  I get that it's a parade float, but still... 

Don T. Williams

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 07:59:38 PM »

You beat me to it.  Just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't you want the speakers aimed at the audience?  How does this not just become a giant mash of indiscernible noise?  Also, putting my commercial driver hat on, how are these even safe/legal to drive?  I get that it's a parade float, but still...

At the levels I suspect the run these systems at, how would a driver even hear someone shouting to let them know they were running over the singer that were once in front of the truck?  This whole thing looks like an accident waiting to happen.  Sorry a little off topic, but damn!

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 03:43:15 AM »

A little more background information, this might be on the edge of going off topic though.
The dancing groups behind every truck are seperate competing organizations. They pick and pay for the talent on the trucks.
The band/DJ on the float is there for the dancers in the parade. They need to be able to hear the system. So it needs to be clear from about 1-2 meters up to 30-40 meters behind the trucks. Sometimes even more. This made the use of touting grade LA components popular. Space constraints causes them to be mounted side by side in 2x2 to 2x4 configurations. But nobody is expecting them to sound clear at the rear distances anyway especially since the next sound system from hell is coming right behind.
The audience mostly gets between 2 and 4   sub-top stacks per side for coverage. Unfortunately often with unmatched tonality to the main systems. Or a single one of the aforementioned line array element aimed straight out at almost 4m height.
I I've never seen front stacks in use, could you shed some light on this. If I were to try something similar here that truck wouldn't be allowed to move/participate. Maybe after very strict safety inspections and I wouldn't be allowed to use it unless I was the lead truck.
The singers as far as I know stay behind the trucks and even if they were in front, the danger to them is no more than for the dancers from the other group.

As for the mush... I'm sorry but the mixes are terrible anyway so the people take this for granted.

BTW I don't necessarily agree with these approaches and this is definitely not a stab  at anyone. Trying to do this right can cost you the job because of unwillingness to try something else.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 07:09:37 AM »

At the levels I suspect the run these systems at, how would a driver even hear someone shouting to let them know they were running over the singer that were once in front of the truck?  This whole thing looks like an accident waiting to happen.  Sorry a little off topic, but damn!
Sound trucks are very popular in certain cultures.

In fact many sound companies use it as a gauge/showing for business the next year.

If you have a "good showing" at the parade, then you are almost guaranteed lots of regular sound gigs the next year.

It sounds crazy when you first hear about it.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 08:50:41 AM »

It appears that there are 2 systems back-to-back; one facing the front of the truck , and the other facing the rear.  The bass build-up in between must be huge.  What is the distance between the backs of the 2 stacks?

Here's a question for the experts: Should (at least) the low frequency cabs of one system be run at opposite polarity of the other?

-Dennis

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 12:39:48 PM »

It appears that there are 2 systems back-to-back; one facing the front of the truck , and the other facing the rear.  The bass build-up in between must be huge.  What is the distance between the backs of the 2 stacks?

Here's a question for the experts: Should (at least) the low frequency cabs of one system be run at opposite polarity of the other?

-Dennis

I haven't seen "sound trucks" with systems facing forward.

"Typically" (yes there are exceptions i am sure), the sound is to the sides and rear.

With the longest "throw" to the rear.

If you flip the polarity on subs, you will end up with more cancellation.

Of course that totally depends on the freq, the spacing the listening position etc.

I would that unless you are SURE what you are doing, do not invert any sub polarity.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 01:57:09 PM »

This is the way it is, on all caribbean islands. all started way back , with the Sura vocal masters and the Fender Twins and showman..........Peavey MB+2 and FH-2`s were very popular of course Cerwin Vega L36`s, now in Curacao it`s mostly Renkus Heinc Cube, EAw-850, tasso Line array, Meyer Milo, Rcf line array, some apogee 3x3.  The front speakers are mostly mounted on the 40-45 foot trailer followed by the 60 to 80 KVA diesel (silent) generators, then the musicians and at the back the wall of sound. On the sides both left and right 2 to 3 JBL SRx-725 or QSC Kw-153, underneath left and right 2 to 3 double 18",

Playing duration at full power 6 to 7 hours, in the sun ( temperature 32 to 33 degrees celsius).

It`s a piece of cake for a Crown Ma-5002 running 2 Ohms load.

The bass and kick drum must be felt in your stomach, together with  alcohol you won`t feel the sun nore the distance !

way back when Community had the airforced loudspeakers, i always thought they could be the speaker of choice !!

Don T. Williams

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 04:17:06 PM »

I didn't understand the part about the dancers, which is the reason for the bands.  Now it makes a lot more sense.  It sounds interesting, but I'm really happy I'm not having to mix at the levels needed for these events!  I'll bet its a challenge for all involved.  The R2's being fully horn loaded might provide the level needed, but I never considered them as "concert" speakers because of how I've experienced them - outside for stadium sound.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 10:52:04 PM »

I didn't understand the part about the dancers, which is the reason for the bands.  Now it makes a lot more sense.  It sounds interesting, but I'm really happy I'm not having to mix at the levels needed for these events!  I'll bet its a challenge for all involved.  The R2's being fully horn loaded might provide the level needed, but I never considered them as "concert" speakers because of how I've experienced them - outside for stadium sound.
Looks like the perfect application for Jericho speakers. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 10:52:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.