ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Community loudspeaker R 2 Max  (Read 6850 times)

Renard Hurtado

Community loudspeaker R 2 Max
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:07:07 PM »

Hi all,

I was looking at the Community R 2 Max loudspeaker from the R-series.
http://www.communitypro.com/products/rseries/r2-max?qt-modules=1#qt-modules

Can I use this together with some subs on a band trailer for carnival f.i.

Can 4 of these compete against a band trailer with a short array of 4 Meyer Milo ? 

How different will they sound 50 meters away ?

Thanks for your input

Renard from Curacao

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Community loudspeaker R 2 Max
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:28:17 PM »

Interesting comparison, Renard, from very different design approaches.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

scottstephens

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 11:54:38 AM »

Renard,

We install a lot of Community stuff in sports stadiums and with good power they can get stupid loud. 50 meters isn't a problem for them, but as Tim said, 2 very different designs, I'm not sure I would mix and match Communitys and Meyers. Meyers sound very nice but way different.  I've never heard Communitys with a different subs only with Community subs, so I think you would have to play around a bit. 

Let us know how this works out if you move ahead.

Scott

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 12:09:22 PM »

Can 4 of these compete against a band trailer with a short array of 4 Meyer Milo ? 

What do mean by "compete"?  Are you facing the other trailer playing at the same time?

Also, when you say "band trailer", exactly what is that?  A trailer with a rock band? or a symphonic band?

What is the area to be covered (width wise).  You are talking about a narrow horizontal vs a wide horizontal system.

Some more details would help
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 12:48:10 PM »

Sounds like some kind of sound-clash type setup. Two PA systems, see who's louder.

There won't be much in it. Both feature similar driver complements (2x12", large-format compression driver mid, small-format compression driver tweeter). The Meyer boxes have a bit more power handling while the Community boxes will have horn loading down to a lower frequency.

If it is a sound clash, make sure your subs are up to scratch. I'd want at least 1x double-18" cabinet per mid-high box. Two would be better.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 08:29:50 PM »

Hi Ivan ,

This what it`s all about. In the carnival parade there are like 20 bandwagons, the parade goes thru the streets, with a participating group behind and in front of the bandtrailer, spectators are right and left of the street,
You want to go  loud and sound clean,over 75 to 100 metrs
The instruments used for the type of music played:

Bass, Drums, timbales, conga, cowbell, Piano, Keyboards, 2 trumpets, 2 Trombones, guitar, 5 to six back up vocals and 1 lead vox. See pics

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 08:31:46 PM »

Some more pics

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 09:17:58 PM »

Hi Ivan ,

This what it`s all about. In the carnival parade there are like 20 bandwagons, the parade goes thru the streets, with a participating group behind and in front of the bandtrailer, spectators are right and left of the street,
You want to go  loud and sound clean,over 75 to 100 metrs
The instruments used for the type of music played:

Bass, Drums, timbales, conga, cowbell, Piano, Keyboards, 2 trumpets, 2 Trombones, guitar, 5 to six back up vocals and 1 lead vox. See pics
I am familiar with carnival "sound trucks".

I have never heard them referred to as "bandwagons".

Why just the 1 other system? 
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 10:25:55 PM »

the idear came to my mind, because a friend of mine is doing a small stadium ( capacity 15.000) install and he was looking at the Community R series ( due to the agressive enviroment, near the coast).   Any other suggestion is welcome.

I forgot to mention , these pics are from Aruba and there they don`t have height restrictions, we have 4 m restriction.

We call it bandtrailer ( bandwagon my mistake), because there is a live band performing on the trailer !!!!

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 12:26:16 PM »

Renard, I have no experience with the community speakers but can help you with some things to consider. You may already know these but it can help others that know both systems with their advice.

Tumba and roadfire/ritmo kombina is often pretty midbass heavy and can have a pretty low crest factor. This combined with the duration of the parades means you want the lowest power compression possible.
Feedback stability is also a big one for these systems, lead and background singers spend most/all their time in front of the stack. If your "lucky" they'll even sit "in" the stack with their mic 10cm from the speaker grilles.
Pattern control... Systems doing these events have improved a lot so it's becoming less important but the back waves coming from the stack pumping out  an almost constant 120-125dB is very fatiguing especially considering FOH is mostly just a meter from the back.

Also the way the system goes into distortion matters. These parades often end up as a little pissing contest to see who can play the loudest mistaking it for impact.
BTW a little deliberate distortion can help here Renard. The old Jbl urei eq's for instance give just enough edge for them to stop pushing the master up. Which also helps with the engineers that mix for a certain amount of distortion instead of level. The Rotterdam equivalent has quite strict spl restrictions and serious fines so this helps. Have they started regulating this over there.

Edit: depending on when your friends install is done you can probably hear the system on time to decide.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:30:21 PM by Joe Pieternella »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 12:26:16 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.