ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: drum sub snake  (Read 7751 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: drum sub snake
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 07:04:53 AM »

Don't forget the drummers sometime think they can sing.

;D ;D.

I have tried both a splayed loom and separate lines to a box.
When I had the same band for a long time, I made 2 fan out snakes. One coming up each side of the kit servicing the mics on that side.
Worked well.
For a festival or rental situation, separate lines to a sub box.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 07:59:31 AM »

;D ;D.

I have tried both a splayed loom and separate lines to a box.
When I had the same band for a long time, I made 2 fan out snakes. One coming up each side of the kit servicing the mics on that side.
Worked well.
For a festival or rental situation, separate lines to a sub box.
I use a compromise. I like looms of 3 cables. They sit in a nice tight triangle and coil nicely.

One loom goes to the front of the kit (kick, kick, ride) , one to the snare side (snare, hat, drum pad), and one for toms (rack, rack, floor). A fourth loom could accommodate a larger kit.

3 cable looms also work nicely for serving backline on either side of the riser.

I know I am different than many in this, but I hate hunting around for different length cables. Give me all 25 footers on stage. I think a neat coil at the base of a stand, or on the riser anchors the cable run and is neater than the cable that ends up stretched or slack because something got moved 2 feet at the last minute.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:01:58 AM by Jay Barracato »
Jay Barracato

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 11:36:44 AM »

With my Digital, I have the X32 Rack mixer on top of the amp rack behind one of the FOH speakers.  I have the power and ethernet pulled from the 1U UPS back to the Drum's where I put down the S16 and setup the drums on 17 to 32 with the added back line.  I use a home made 6 x 2 snake at the front of the stage with 30 ft length and 2 foot fan. 

The S16 gives me 16 in and 4 out.  The last four are lost to the effects sends.  Guess I am not setting the routing up correctly and still looking for a good answer.  X32 rack has the 8 outputs working along with 4 on the S16.   13 to 16 is on effects sends.

John Schalk

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 11:54:55 AM »

My vote is for a sub-snake with stage box and separate mic lines (no loom) to the drums.  I think a custom loom will look great but, when a line fails, you have the loom and the box to consider when trouble shooting or making repairs.  In my experience, stage boxes fail far less often than mic cables, so the loom becomes a "weakest link" issue. If you're just using short mic cables, when one fails you swap it out, throw the bad one on the repair pile, and move on.

I would buy a 10 x 2, 30' sub-snake, or a 12 channel unit and reverse two of the lines.  Maybe add a half dozen 10' mic cables too.  If you decide to go with a loom I agree with the suggestion to leave the over head lines out of the loom.  They will be the longest, so would contribute the most to tangle issues.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 12:31:36 PM »

Currently considering a couple new bits of cable here and there to tidy up stage etc.

For an 8 line drum snake. How long do you all like left for the fan end and how many right angle connectors for the drum kit end? 4,5,6?

Do you like them all equal length or 2 short for kick 2 med for HH SN and 2 longer for toms and 2 super long for OH?

I do it like Tim says. I use a 16 ch box, and 5, 10, 20 foot lines.
I have a couple of groups with "extravagant" drummers.....
Used to work with a bar-band, and the drummer changed his setup EVERY FREAKIN NIGHT. back then, it was not 16 lines, but still. A pre-wired snake would drive you batshit crazy. Ever done a B-O-B with a couple of Lefties thrown in ?
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Steve Garris

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 05:14:53 PM »

Much like Jay & Milt, I use a loom and love it. Mine is only 5 channel, with a shorter cable for the kick. I have a backline stage box for additional channels and returns. The loom is labeled and goes up quick. I mostly mix in smaller bars & venues, and I never use overheads (mixing loud rock bands mostly). The fan out is about 5 feet, and does not tangle if you know how to use it. The mic cables are simply taped together, and I re-tape it about every 2 years. It looks very clean on stage.

Terry Martin

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 09:56:35 PM »

We use a drop snake and 10’ cables.  This is on same kit every week - but still seems quicker than fighting with a loom - which we have done.   

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 08:37:55 AM »

I have a Whirlwind DrumDrop, very well made and reasonably priced but rarely use it.  I carry 10ft and 25ft cables.  Drop a stage box near the hi hat, if a 10 wont reach, then I grab a 25 and keep moving.  No need to over think it.

I don’t think the 10s are any more tidy than a well coiled 25, but it is 15 feet less to wrap up at night.

I do use the Whirlwind DrumDrop if it is a multi act day with quick change overs and the kit is not shared between acts.  The snake skin techno mesh wrap minimizes tangles, it is extremely fast to unpin the mics, pull back the cable on the kit and let the drummers swap.  The ends are labeled and you know it is 1-to-1 with the patch at the stage box since it is hardwired.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 09:20:40 AM »

Depending on the number of channels in the drum sub snake they can also be handy to pick up a couple back line inputs. A drum loom is a one trick cable, a sub snake is not. I have short XLR "drum jumpers" with both right angle and straight female XLR connectors.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 09:26:24 AM »

Currently considering a couple new bits of cable here and there to tidy up stage etc.

For an 8 line drum snake. How long do you all like left for the fan end and how many right angle connectors for the drum kit end? 4,5,6?

Do you like them all equal length or 2 short for kick 2 med for HH SN and 2 longer for toms and 2 super long for OH?

I have the EWI 8-4 and 12-4 stage boxes. These clean up the stage and keep the mess down. I have my digital stage boxes on an X-stand where its out of the way and connect to it with these. Works easy and fast tear down.

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 09:26:24 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.