ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a Rec. on Theatre (plays/musicals) speakers  (Read 5191 times)

Matt Greene

Looking for a Rec. on Theatre (plays/musicals) speakers
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:26:34 AM »

Hi all. I'm needing to upgrade speakers in a 225 seat auditorium for use in university plays & musicals. Clarity of voices matters the most, followed by ability to rock.

Currently considering:
QSC K10.2 or K12.2
EV ZLX
JBL EON
Yamaha DXR

Thoughts?

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
Re: Looking for a Rec. on Theatre (plays/musicals) speakers
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:31:44 AM »

Hi!  Before you can get any assistance or answers to your questions, you must go back immediately and update your profile to reflect your real name as required in the forum rules which were clearly posted at the time you registered. Otherwise, your post will be locked by the moderators.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Matt Greene

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:36:43 AM »

Perhaps JBL PRX is a better model for comparison

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 11:44:55 AM »

Thoughts?

What are the dimensions of the room?  Are you considering a Center Cluster or L/R (and maybe C) hangs?

Budget???

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Matt Greene

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 11:56:00 AM »

What are the dimensions of the room?  Are you considering a Center Cluster or L/R (and maybe C) hangs?

Budget???

Dave

3900 sq. ft. Not sure of the exact dimensions but wide and shallow (approx. 12 rows) audience with a pretty steep pitch. Basic Stage R/Stage L wall mounted.

I can afford all the ones I mentioned, so just looking for thoughts on which would be the best for this application.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »

3900 sq. ft. Not sure of the exact dimensions but wide and shallow (approx. 12 rows) audience with a pretty steep pitch. Basic Stage R/Stage L wall mounted.

I can afford all the ones I mentioned, so just looking for thoughts on which would be the best for this application.
While I love powered boxes for portable SOS applications, I think for wall mounted I would look at passive.

I recently got to fiddle with some of the updated Yamaha clubs with the matching Yamaha dsp amp with presets and I was very impressed.

Don't rule out passive speakers when you can get them as part of a system.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 12:50:37 PM »

Here are the steps to sound system design/choice
1: Determine the coverage needed for the intended space

2: Determine the SPL needed for the loudest performances in there-and add some headroom

3: Determine the budget (speakers, amps, processing, install, tuning etc)

4: THEN AND ONLY THEN, do you start to look at speaker that meet all of the above.

If you skip to step 4 first, then you are simply asking from trouble.

How do you know if the speakers you listed will meet your goals?  When you have not listed the goals?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Steve Crump

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 01:03:02 PM »

Hi all. I'm needing to upgrade speakers in a 225 seat auditorium for use in university plays & musicals. Clarity of voices matters the most, followed by ability to rock.

Currently considering:
QSC K10.2 or K12.2
EV ZLX
JBL EON
Yamaha DXR

Thoughts?

While I love powered boxes for portable SOS applications, I think for wall mounted I would look at passive

+1

QSC also has the passive "E" series that are budget minded and matching GXD amps with DSP.

Matt Greene

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 02:38:16 PM »

Here are the steps to sound system design/choice
1: Determine the coverage needed for the intended space

2: Determine the SPL needed for the loudest performances in there-and add some headroom

3: Determine the budget (speakers, amps, processing, install, tuning etc)

4: THEN AND ONLY THEN, do you start to look at speaker that meet all of the above.

If you skip to step 4 first, then you are simply asking from trouble.

How do you know if the speakers you listed will meet your goals?  When you have not listed the goals?

The QSCs were recommended by a sound engineer who came and worked with the system. Looking for other opinions on other models and those are the ones that seem to pop up when comparing.

While the primary use would be on a shelf on the wall, I'd like the option to take them on the road when performing outside of the space.

Steve Garris

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 02:48:46 PM »

The QSCs were recommended by a sound engineer who came and worked with the system. Looking for other opinions on other models and those are the ones that seem to pop up when comparing.

While the primary use would be on a shelf on the wall, I'd like the option to take them on the road when performing outside of the space.

Many of the consumer grade powered boxes will likely do the job, but you are looking at the lower end of the spectrum here. I would suggest a pair of Yamaha DSR112's, which you can get from Mike Pyle on this forum for a very good price - comparable to the K12.2 street price. They will be far better than anything on your list, and come with a 7 year warranty. The JBL PRX would be my next choice in that price group. As Ivan stated you need to determine if any of these will do the job.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 02:48:46 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.