ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound System EQ  (Read 10320 times)

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
Sound System EQ
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:27:16 PM »

We recently had a sound system installed at our church.  (Martin CDD's, Dynacord amps, QU32 board, etc.)

I always find myself trying to get rid of mids when I'm at FOH.  Some of it is our room.  We are getting sound treatment soon, which will help.  But in the meantime, I'm trying to do what I can do.  Seems to be around the 400-600hz range.  Anyways, last night I noticed that on our LR main mix, the EQ is flat?  Is this normal?

I'm guessing the install company tuned the room with the speakers/power-amps. 

Steve Ferreira

Re: Sound System EQ
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 01:33:21 PM »

Without knowing what is happening in the power amps we can't give you a real answer.
1) The install company tuned the room in the amps.
2) The install company just installed the equipment and walked away.
3) The install company tweaked the main L&R eq to sound right.
4) Someone flattened the L&R eq.

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 01:49:18 PM »

Without knowing what is happening in the power amps we can't give you a real answer.
1) The install company tuned the room in the amps.
2) The install company just installed the equipment and walked away.
3) The install company tweaked the main L&R eq to sound right.
4) Someone flattened the L&R eq.

Is there a way for me to check what they did inside the power amps?  Or is that not recommended?  I'm only an intermediate-level FOH guy.  (small town church, I'm the most experienced person we have.)

Craig Alan

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 02:07:56 PM »

Is there a way for me to check what they did inside the power amps?  Or is that not recommended?  I'm only an intermediate-level FOH guy.  (small town church, I'm the most experienced person we have.)

Call the installer. If it is new and you paid them for their expertise, that should be your first step.  If you start messing around and don’t know what you are doing, you may void a warranty.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:10:05 PM by Craig Alan »

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 02:45:45 PM »

The installer will not tune the mains through the outputs of the console, that's done in the system processor.
 call the installer.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 05:43:25 PM »

Is the problem only where the mix-position is, or is it consistent throughout the listening area?

Your statement "I always find myself trying to get rid of mids when I'm at FOH" could be read one of two ways.

Either you notice it when you're "at the wheel" because you're critically listening, or it's a problem associated with the acoustics in that particular location in the room (the FOH position). 

I just mention this because mix positions are sometimes crammed into a corner or some other less-than-representative location due to other priorities or room layout.  I don't know your room, just trying to cover all bases.

However, adjusting the EQ (in processor, amp, or on mixer) will affect every seat, not just one, so if you make any changes make sure to listen in multiple places so getting a balanced mix at FOH doesn't leave 60% of your audience lacking that same range.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 08:57:54 AM »

Is the problem only where the mix-position is, or is it consistent throughout the listening area?

Your statement "I always find myself trying to get rid of mids when I'm at FOH" could be read one of two ways.

Either you notice it when you're "at the wheel" because you're critically listening, or it's a problem associated with the acoustics in that particular location in the room (the FOH position). 

I just mention this because mix positions are sometimes crammed into a corner or some other less-than-representative location due to other priorities or room layout.  I don't know your room, just trying to cover all bases.

However, adjusting the EQ (in processor, amp, or on mixer) will affect every seat, not just one, so if you make any changes make sure to listen in multiple places so getting a balanced mix at FOH doesn't leave 60% of your audience lacking that same range.

That's great advice.  I appreciate that.  Most of my audience probably doesn't even know any different.  It's just something that bothers me.  And yes, I'm usually hearing it at FOH.  I'll try to move around a bit and see if it is better.

I know this is an amateur thing to say, but what bothers me the most is:  If I set up my DSR112's in the church, they need almost no EQ (overall).  But these expensive and super nice CDD's (which I love), don't sound as good right now.  And I don't know how to fix it.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 11:28:42 AM »

Like mentioned before, contact the installer and see if they can help out. It could just be the mix position is in a less than desirable location. The audience area might sound fantastic.
Does it just sound off to you when using mics or with music as well? Play music that you are familiar with and walk the venue to get a better idea of what is happening.

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 11:39:43 AM »

Like mentioned before, contact the installer and see if they can help out. It could just be the mix position is in a less than desirable location. The audience area might sound fantastic.
Does it just sound off to you when using mics or with music as well? Play music that you are familiar with and walk the venue to get a better idea of what is happening.

With music (via my iphone), it sounds really good.  With the band, or the preacher, it's not the same.  We have QLX (SM58) mics.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »

With music (via my iphone), it sounds really good.  With the band, or the preacher, it's not the same.  We have QLX (SM58) mics.
That sounds like a mixing issue, not an eq issue.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.