ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Formal education / job hunting for live sound  (Read 8576 times)

Blake Cerenzia

Formal education / job hunting for live sound
« on: March 10, 2018, 09:07:16 PM »

First, a little bit about me. I have been running sound for about 6 years now for school events. This means plays, choir concerts, pep rallies, talent shows, fundraisers, etc.

But as I'm a graduating senior this June, I want to make a career out of it.

My main questions are:

1. Is there formal education I should get before getting a serious job in the live sound world? I see some colleges that do recording, but for live sound?

(already have the basic fundamentals of microphones, analog/some digital, loudspeakers, acoustics, etc.)

2. Where should I look for opportunities? (if it helps, I live in Bellingham, WA)

3. Any particular fundamentals or skills should I develop/learn to improve my chances of landing a job? (networked audio, video, lighting, etc)

Any advice appreciated.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Formal education / job hunting for live sound
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 09:43:38 PM »

First, a little bit about me. I have been running sound for about 6 years now for school events. This means plays, choir concerts, pep rallies, talent shows, fundraisers, etc.

My main questions are:

1. Is there formal education I should get before getting a serious job in the live sound world? I see some colleges that do recording, but for live sound?

(already have the basic fundamentals of microphones, analog/some digital, loudspeakers, acoustics, etc.)

2. Where should I look for opportunities? (if it helps, I live in Bellingham, WA)

3. Any particular fundamentals or skills should I develop/learn to improve my chances of landing a job? (networked audio, video, lighting, etc)

Any advice appreciated.
While I come from the era that there was no higher education in live event audio, I would not forego a higher education, but instead of audio I would look at one of the closely related fields such as business, computer science, or electrical engineering. In the trades, electrician or rigging would be an in.

While you are pursuing an education, you can see a position with an event production company. Initially, it may seem that there is tight competition for those positions but if you can show you can work independently as well as a member of a team, without a sense of entitlement, with a willingness to learn, you will have every opportunity to be a invaluable employee.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 11:58:49 PM »

My main questions are:

Any advice appreciated.

Hi Blake-

I'd suggest a search using google's site filter:

site:forums.prosoundweb.com YOUR SEARCH TERMS HERE

The topic of continued education and all manner of "how did you get started" type things have been discussed before (about once a year, go figure...) and many of the people-skills answers haven't changed.

If there is one skill that will apply regardless of craft it would be TCP/IP networking.  If you peruse the forums today (as in March 10) you'll see sticky posts about networks and current topics regarding networks and networking.  Lighting, video, intercoms and show control also are becoming or already are network-intensive.

The most important resource for an audio person mixing music or theatre is a wide variety of music types in his/her listening library.  Kind of a musical "liberal arts" thing.

Is there a specific aspect of show and event production that particularly appeals to you?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 01:26:40 AM »

Second vote here for a trade, study to be an electrician or rigger or even both, you can easily use those skills in live sound and will likely end up acquiring those skills anyway. The second advantage is that you then have a qualification as well as the experience in a trade that will always be needed and you will always be able to get a job.

Other good options are management, business in general and such things.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 09:18:35 AM »

I am far from impartial, so will only provide a link to a program that offers Associate Degrees in Recording, Management and/or Live Sound & Concert Lighting:

https://degreeprograms.gtcc.edu/entertainment-technology/

Check twitter for @soundgtcc for some photos of recent events.  Quality, current equipment and Instructors that have "been there / done that".  Feel free to reach out off-line if you have questions.

Entering Trades as mentioned is also a valid path.  Keep Network Engineering in mind, which has become more and more pertinent in Sound and Lighting.

Good luck in your future studies!
Dave
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:45:35 AM by Dave Pluke »
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 10:02:05 AM »

I am far from impartial, so will only provide a link to a program that offers Associate Degrees in Recording, Management and/or Live Sound & Concert Lighting:

https://degreeprograms.gtcc.edu/entertainment-technology/

Check twitter for @soundgtcc for some photos of recent events.  Quality, current equipment and Instructors that have "been there / done that".  Feel free to reach out off-line if you have questions.

Entering Trades as mentioned is also a valid path.  Keep Network Engineering in mind, which has become more and more pertinent in Sound and Lighting.

Good luck in your future studies!
Dave

Hi Dave - I took a look at the curriculum.  The only path offered for live education under Entertainment Technologies is the Concert Sound and Lighting Option.  My experience has been that personalities tend to strongly gravitate toward either sound or lighting but seldom show an aptitude or interest in both.  The very thought of having to sit through a 2 year college level educational program that focused 50% on lighting technology makes me feel a little crazy.  Maybe I'm the only one.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 11:03:41 AM »

This is a PEOPLE business.  And you must know how to deal with people, stupid requests etc.

It has been said that one of the best things you can do is to get a job as a waiter in a restaurant. 

Just for a year or so.  Musicians and promoters are often much like demanding people eating.  You need to make them happy, even if it seems silly or stupid.

It is only for that brief time they are there.

You need to learn how to not "lose your cool" and just deal with it.

Yes, you also need the technical side, but if you can't get along with people, you will not get far in this business.  You need to learn to work as a team, learn that you can't have it your way all the time and just get on with the job at hand.

After all, tomorrow will probably be a different place, different artist, different promoter and possibly different crew.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 03:13:19 PM »

+ 1 for Tim's post.  Networking knowledge is becoming more and more important in all forms of entertainment technology and event production.  As the owner of an event services/production business, and a instructor for the beginning live sound course at a local college (the first semester of a new program), its interesting to look at this business from an educator's viewpoint.  I feel that experience, a good attitude, and personal networking in the industry will be better predictors of success in a job search than just having a degree. 

As I said, this is my first semester teaching, so this statement is subject to change.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 03:17:42 PM »

Don't look down your nose at lighting.
That's how I got started and it has opened a lot of doors (and wallets) for me.
Lighting and staging are two things that can make a small event look like a SHOW and not a garage jam.
The more tools you have on hand, the more value you can provide.  Business decisions (and employment choices) are generally made based on value.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 03:27:35 PM »

Another +1 for Dave's post.  The text we use in my live course stresses that knowing something about all aspects of the production (including lighting) is very important, and an attitude of cooperation and a willingness to work with the whole crew is one of the most important parts of being a good sound system operator.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 03:27:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.