ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Any decent audio analyzer apps for iPhone  (Read 6657 times)

Dustin Campbell

Any decent audio analyzer apps for iPhone
« on: March 09, 2018, 11:35:22 PM »

Just thought I would see if there was any out there that were ok to use with built in mic on iPhone - wanted to ask you folks that have used them- thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Banning CA,

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Any decent audio analyzer apps for iPhone
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 08:59:53 AM »

Just thought I would see if there was any out there that were ok to use with built in mic on iPhone - wanted to ask you folks that have used them- thanks

Studio six would be my choice.

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mal Brown

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 11:20:25 AM »

I use Studio Six Digital for SPL.  For RTA I like Spectrum Analyzer by Onyx from the App Store.  Been using it for a few years and find it helpful for spot checks around a venue.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 12:47:00 PM »

What measurements do you need, and how are you getting signals into the iThingy?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 01:57:24 PM »

What measurements do you need, and how are you getting signals into the iThingy?

for simple measurements the iPhone mic is fine.  This is a Better solution for real recording.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MV88--shure-mv88-digital-stereo-condenser-microphone-for-ios?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxuLKxbfi2QIV0rrACh1_XA6fEAQYASABEgKuWfD_BwE
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 02:51:04 PM »

for simple measurements the iPhone mic is fine.  This is a Better solution for real recording.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MV88--shure-mv88-digital-stereo-condenser-microphone-for-ios?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxuLKxbfi2QIV0rrACh1_XA6fEAQYASABEgKuWfD_BwE
That can work well for recording, but generally for measurements you want an omni mic.

I have never seen any "measurement mic" that has any pattern besides omni.

In order to get directionality, that means there is some cancellation going on (just like with loudspeakers that don't have physical controls), so the sound with a directional mic is not as accurate as an omni.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 02:58:57 PM »

That can work well for recording, but generally for measurements you want an omni mic.

In order to get directionality, that means there is some cancellation going on (just like with loudspeakers that don't have physical controls), so the sound with a directional mic is not as accurate as an omni.

try this  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1059342-REG/rode_smartlav_smart_lav_lav_mic_for.html?ap=y&c3api=1876%2C%7Bcreative%7D%2C%7Bkeyword%7D&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp-awn8Xi2QIVwbrACh3XhAWHEAQYAiABEgLDePD_BwE
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 07:47:20 PM »

Directional mics are not sensitive to low frequencies over distance.
The proximity effect works both ways, directional mics have a certain distance from the source where they are «linear. Beyond that they pick up less low frequencies and closer than that they pick up more.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 08:40:10 PM »

We still don't know what he wants to measure so suggesting tools seems premature.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 11:09:10 AM »

We still don't know what he wants to measure so suggesting tools seems premature.
Or why he wants to measure.

Knowing what you want to do first is key.  THEN you search for the tools to do the job.

For example, maybe a distance measuring tool would be the best tool for the job (to guess at delay times)

For example, I use a couple of software based "measurement platforms" and some hardware based ones.

It all comes down to "What am I hear to do?".  Then I look for the best tool that I have for THAT particular situation.

A different situation would require a different tool, or maybe a different tool would be better.

One size does not fit all.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 11:09:10 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.