ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: More EAW gear, KF & LA series comparison?  (Read 8086 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
More EAW gear, KF & LA series comparison?
« on: March 09, 2018, 05:33:59 PM »

Hi guys, so I ended up picking up additional EAW gear last weekend for a price that was next to nothing, literally!
I know that A LOT of people are jumping on the wagon for "active" systems, but I guess I'm still a dinosaur for buying more passive systems, however looking for recommendations.

EAW inventory I currently have:
4 - KF650
4 - KF300
2 - SB600
1 - UX3600 processor (which I LOVE by the way, thank you for all those who convinced me to purchase this amazing unit.)

Now I picked up
2 - LA325
2 - LA128

Does anyone have any idea how the LA series compares to the KF series would be my first question.
Second, Would it be worth holding on to these LA series cabs for events or better off selling and purchasing active system(s)?

I'm extremely happy with the KF series gear and wouldn't want to part with any of that, but not sure what the real world experience the LA series would bring to the table against the KF's.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: More EAW gear, KF & LA series comparison?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 12:14:00 PM »

That LA stack is a great 1/side club rig. Its comparable to SRX stuff from JBL. Mre mid-level, but I always thought they were decent as long as I didn't have to lift them.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 01:36:00 PM »

+1 for Tim's comments.  The LA325's sound good but really don't array well.  It's a good side fill system also, for the seemingly fewer and fewer events requiring side fills.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 06:00:34 PM »

+1 for Tim's comments.  The LA325's sound good but really don't array well.  It's a good side fill system also, for the seemingly fewer and fewer events requiring side fills.

Don/Tim,
Thank you both for sharing your info. I don’t plan on having an array with this LA series as I would probably use these for club venues if I needed.  I know what you mean about the weight, For now I’m still able to floor stack when needed, but I have been using more of the flyware recently so the crank-ups do all the heavy lifting from my carts.

Thanks again.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 06:46:21 PM »

Back when they first came out, the Sound Co i worked for bought a couple fo the LA325s to use as drum monitors.  We didn't really have a good drum fill in the inventory and figured the double 15 would move a bunch of air.

We put some kinda big amp on them [i don't remember which one, but might have been a DeltaOmega] and let her rip.  After catching the passive crossover on fire multiple times we finally figured out that we were wrong about the double 15s.  :)  Once we realized you really needed a sub under these, we were quite happy with the result and they were used as Texas headphones on many a show.

I think you'll get some good use out of the ones you got since you have the sub to go with them.  Just don't pull anything lifting them....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 07:04:43 PM »

Back when they first came out, the Sound Co i worked for bought a couple fo the LA325s to use as drum monitors.  We didn't really have a good drum fill in the inventory and figured the double 15 would move a bunch of air.

We put some kinda big amp on them [i don't remember which one, but might have been a DeltaOmega] and let her rip.  After catching the passive crossover on fire multiple times we finally figured out that we were wrong about the double 15s.  :)  Once we realized you really needed a sub under these, we were quite happy with the result and they were used as Texas headphones on many a show.

I think you'll get some good use out of the ones you got since you have the sub to go with them.  Just don't pull anything lifting them....

Holy smokes 170lbs .  How much did you steal them for?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 12:11:02 PM »

I owned a pair of LA 215 and LA 118 subs. I loved that rig. They sounded great for the size. As some have said, they don't array well but they sound great on their own.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 03:21:38 PM »

Brian:
I'm use to lifting heavy items and I'm able to throw my KF650's on double sub stacks which those only weigh 140lbs, however I've been using my flyware more recently right from my carts, But I gotta say, these LA 325's don't feel like 170lbs, I was able to load them in my truck (stock height Dodge Ram) and get them into the bed and strap them down. The subs seemed a little heavier but also because of it's odd shape, I needed assistance with those.

Good call on the Drum monitor! I was already thinking of using it for that on a few "metal" shows coming up stacked on top of one of my active 18" sub..

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 03:34:54 PM »

Holy smokes 170lbs .  How much did you steal them for?

Scott:
On the LA325's, A good friend of mine who had them sitting in his garage in Los Angeles, he's usually pretty busy and on tour with his band (Extreme) and in his recording studio when not touring. He just didn't have a need for them and so I picked them up at his house last weekend. I brought it up several times but he didn't talk about how much he wanted them for, He said we would figure out the price later and laughed... Being him, that usually means it's a xmas gift that came early. ;)

And, I also figured I would pick up the LA128's a bit further south near Anaheim from some other guy who runs church sound. He had no idea what to do with them as they went to active system recently. So I picked those up for $400 for the pair. Soooooo, literally next to nothing.  LOL

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 03:49:11 PM »

Scott:
On the LA325's, A good friend of mine who had them sitting in his garage in Los Angeles, he's usually pretty busy and on tour with his band (Extreme) and in his recording studio when not touring. He just didn't have a need for them and so I picked them up at his house last weekend. I brought it up several times but he didn't talk about how much he wanted them for, He said we would figure out the price later and laughed... Being him, that usually means it's a xmas gift that came early. ;)

And, I also figured I would pick up the LA128's a bit further south near Anaheim from some other guy who runs church sound. He had no idea what to do with them as they went to active system recently. So I picked those up for $400 for the pair. Soooooo, literally next to nothing.  LOL

Oh yeah, that's a great deal.

What was going through my mind is if you were into them for around $800 each you are getting awfully close to the DSR112/KW153 range which outperforms and has amplification built in.

Enjoy, BTW I love working on passive discrete systems too.  There is a sense of accomplishment, like driving a 5 speed road ranger equipped truck properly.  Sadly its a lost art in these days of "integrated systems".

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 03:49:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.