ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Lake LM experts?  (Read 3798 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
Any Lake LM experts?
« on: March 09, 2018, 02:46:24 PM »

Received our new LM44 this week. Read through the manual, watched the 3-4 videos that are available online.

Having trouble grasping concept of how to configure a simple/traditional set-up that consists of: 1 full-range speaker over a subwoofer. I'd be happy to host a WebEx and send over a few ducats for anyone's time if that's easier.

General config looks like this:

A&H dLive CDM32 w/AES card connected to LM44 via AES

AES 1 (In) = Main L
AES 2 (In) = Main R
AES 3 (In) = Aux 1 (sub feed)

Wanting to have the LM output:

Analog 1 (out) = Main L HPF w/LR24 at 105Hz (or whatever we decide to x-over)
Analog 2 (out) = Main R HPF w/LR24 at 105Hz (or whatever we decide to x-over)
Analog 3 (out) = Sub (mono) LPF w/LR24 at 100Hz (or whatever we decide x-over)

In the past, with the dbx VENU360, we'd use "L + R + M" setting and were good to go.

In the Lake, I can't seem to find a module that has something similar. I can configure a 2-way + aux, but our JTR 3TX Noesis are full-range, so the 2-way/bi-amp isn't necessary. I'm sure it's a matter of sorting out the (rather unintuitive) GUI on the Lake, or I'm simply not seeing something.

Thanks in advance - feel free to PM me if a WebEx sounds good.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Any Lake LM experts?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 03:06:27 PM »

Received our new LM44 this week. Read through the manual, watched the 3-4 videos that are available online.

Having trouble grasping concept of how to configure a simple/traditional set-up that consists of: 1 full-range speaker over a subwoofer. I'd be happy to host a WebEx and send over a few ducats for anyone's time if that's easier.

General config looks like this:

A&H dLive CDM32 w/AES card connected to LM44 via AES

AES 1 (In) = Main L
AES 2 (In) = Main R
AES 3 (In) = Aux 1 (sub feed)

Wanting to have the LM output:

Analog 1 (out) = Main L HPF w/LR24 at 105Hz (or whatever we decide to x-over)
Analog 2 (out) = Main R HPF w/LR24 at 105Hz (or whatever we decide to x-over)
Analog 3 (out) = Sub (mono) LPF w/LR24 at 100Hz (or whatever we decide x-over)

In the past, with the dbx VENU360, we'd use "L + R + M" setting and were good to go.

In the Lake, I can't seem to find a module that has something similar. I can configure a 2-way + aux, but our JTR 3TX Noesis are full-range, so the 2-way/bi-amp isn't necessary. I'm sure it's a matter of sorting out the (rather unintuitive) GUI on the Lake, or I'm simply not seeing something.

Thanks in advance - feel free to PM me if a WebEx sounds good.

I am by no means an expert, but I think you need to configure this with the 4 mesa modules instead of the 2 contour modules.  This will allow you to use your three inputs, vs just the two in contour mode.  You can then simply set your hpf and lpf as needed in the levels section of each module.   
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tyler Payne

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 11:34:22 PM »

I am by no means an expert, but I think you need to configure this with the 4 mesa modules instead of the 2 contour modules.  This will allow you to use your three inputs, vs just the two in contour mode.  You can then simply set your hpf and lpf as needed in the levels section of each module.

Absolutely, this is how I set up our LM44 to drive our Danley rig.

The only downside (IMO) in this configuration is you cannot edit the crossover for both filters in the same tab. This is trivial though, it just means popping into another module to edit the related filters.

If (like me) you got stuck not knowing how to change the frame preset to MESA EQ mode:
 - Click on a module in the frame you want to change
 - Go to 'Levels' tab
 - Click 'IO Config'
 - Click 'Frame Config'

Or you may have already figured that out; I just remember spending FAR too long getting there.  ;D

-Tyler

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 08:52:31 PM »

Absolutely, this is how I set up our LM44 to drive our Danley rig.

The only downside (IMO) in this configuration is you cannot edit the crossover for both filters in the same tab. This is trivial though, it just means popping into another module to edit the related filters.

If (like me) you got stuck not knowing how to change the frame preset to MESA EQ mode:
 - Click on a module in the frame you want to change
 - Go to 'Levels' tab
 - Click 'IO Config'
 - Click 'Frame Config'

Or you may have already figured that out; I just remember spending FAR too long getting there.  ;D

-Tyler

Bigger problem - in MESA mode, there are no crossovers available, right? According to what I can see, the MESA mode is simply an EQ with polarity, delay, HPF/LPF (I don't believe there are options for filters).

Man this GUI is so unintuitive, and support is non-existent. Grrrr.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 09:07:15 PM »

Bigger problem - in MESA mode, there are no crossovers available, right? According to what I can see, the MESA mode is simply an EQ with polarity, delay, HPF/LPF (I don't believe there are options for filters).

Man this GUI is so unintuitive, and support is non-existent. Grrrr.

Disregard... Just found it. There are filter options. For anyone who's interested:

LM44 in MESA mode:
- Select HPF/LPF in I/O Config
- Set your HPF frequency point
- Near the top of the screen, there will be a "floating" green box that shows the Frequency and will also show the slope and filter name. Double-tap on that small box, and then click on "HPF Select" tab near bottom of screen. You'll see all of the options there.

Holy crikey.

Thanks guys - believe it or not, this little bit of advice was exactly what I needed to figure this all out. Much appreciated!

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 03:31:50 PM »

Ok - one more question...

I was able to create one configuration in the Lake system, and it's working great.

I then worked offline and created a virtual configuration for our other FOH rig, got it all dialed-in, and saved it to my laptop. I then tried to sync that virtual config with the LM44 processor, but it's not working. I can't seem to find a way to "migrate" the config from virtual to online.

Suggestions?

And, FWIW... Lake support has been non-existent so far. I created a ticket via the website last week and haven't heard a peep back. I sent a message via Facebook - no response. I e-mailed MUSIC as well - no reply.

It's a bit unnerving to spend this much on a device and have (what is so far) zero support from the manufacturer.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 04:07:27 PM »

Ok - one more question...

I was able to create one configuration in the Lake system, and it's working great.

I then worked offline and created a virtual configuration for our other FOH rig, got it all dialed-in, and saved it to my laptop. I then tried to sync that virtual config with the LM44 processor, but it's not working. I can't seem to find a way to "migrate" the config from virtual to online.

Suggestions?

And, FWIW... Lake support has been non-existent so far. I created a ticket via the website last week and haven't heard a peep back. I sent a message via Facebook - no response. I e-mailed MUSIC as well - no reply.

It's a bit unnerving to spend this much on a device and have (what is so far) zero support from the manufacturer.
Steve, under Modules, (make sure one of your modules is selected), then copy/Paste, then batch replace.  You should be able to move a whole frames worth of information at a time. 
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Lance Lineburg

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 08:45:20 PM »

I'd recommend calling. I got right through and the tech was very knowledgeable and talked me through it, even while admitting that it wasn't so much a Lake thing as a generic Dante thing. Since it's all one place now, I'll mention that the Midas side was great too, sent us a button or 2 and a fader cap at no charge for a Pro series desk.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 09:44:08 PM »

Thanks again guys - I think things are sorted out. All of the suggestions, nudges, and help are greatly appreciated!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 09:44:08 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.