ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diy build suggestions  (Read 9208 times)

Peter Morris

Re: Diy build suggestions
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 07:43:24 AM »

...  A good example is the excellent Peter Morris diy mid top, even with some great contributions, it’s very hard to distil a solid train of thought from the thread and even then there are are a lot of variants, some that will no doubt work better than others.

Hi Roland,

You are absolutely correct, and that's exactly what happens unfortunately when everybody posts a simple series of blogs; its even happening with this threat.

My DIY page was never intended to be a set of comprehensive plans and processor settings so anybody on the internet could build a pro-performance mid high box.  My goal was simple; to build the most powerful and best sounding speaker that could be reasonably mounted on a stick (less than 35 kgs), and for fun I posted what I had done on a Soundforums.net ...  I learned a lot in the process and made some friends along the way :) :)

Having said that there is now a set of standard plans in both pdf and dwg format avalible. If I had the time and money I would love to build some boxes exactly to the plans and publish some DSP settings for some of the common processors. I have actually been thinking about making a summary page of plans and settings to help people out ...(?)

To me DIY is more about fun than money saving; however it has enabled me to build a set of speakers that perform as good as it gets for a fraction of the price especially sub-woofers. 

If you have the ability to make a good box there are some excellent plans such as those on B&C and Eighteen Sound's website that will deliver a sub (and others) with performance equal to the best you can buy.

e.g. http://www.eighteensound.com/Portals/0/EnclosuresKits/18Sound_IPAL_double_21_kit_v0.pdf

http://www.bcspeakers.com/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMTMvMDIvMTIvMTYvMTMvMjEvMjQvZmlsZSJdXQ.pdf

Certainly if you DIY the resale value will be very low; but the total cost of the DIY project can be less than the depreciation on the equivalent big name box when it come sell ... the issue is just rider acceptance in your market and any lost income associated with that.

Its also important to remember that designing a speaker is not simple, there are some stupid smart people in the industry that have been doing this for years... 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 07:45:38 AM by Peter Morris »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 07:45:30 AM »

Flat sounding system is needed when you mix a band. But, this does not mean that the overall sound after the band sound guy finish the mix is flat. Because he tweaks all the instruments.

Exactly.  In a live band situation, you need a system that is as neutral and uncolored as possible.  Like a white canvas to paint on.

If the canvas already has a color to it, you have to fight that color to get the color you want.

Each instrument has its own controls.

In a playback situation, you don't have individual control, so "master control/voicing" is all you have.

The problem is that different tracks/artists have different sounds, so one size/eq does not fit all.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 04:17:31 PM »

Exactly.  In a live band situation, you need a system that is as neutral and uncolored as possible.  Like a white canvas to paint on.

If the canvas already has a color to it, you have to fight that color to get the color you want.

Each instrument has its own controls.

In a playback situation, you don't have individual control, so "master control/voicing" is all you have.

The problem is that different tracks/artists have different sounds, so one size/eq does not fit all.

Minor correction. You need to start with a flat or neutral system.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 05:13:53 PM »

Minor correction. You need to start with a flat or neutral system.

I like the word "linear" as in what goes in electrically is what comes out acoustically.  This means if we build in some haystack LF or take some HF out of the Ice Pick In The Forehead® range, we're still looking at the overall acoustic response tracking the console or drive system output.

I think that's more in line with what Ivan means as opposed to what he said.  He and I discussed this more than 10 years ago and when Robert Scovil brings up his "honest system approach" in his training it all comes home.

It's a fundamentally 'recording' oriented way - when I turn a knob I want to hear that change, no more and no less, in the speaker system.  It's a system engineer's job to make that happen.

Or like your doctor... "first, do no harm."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »

It's a fundamentally 'recording' oriented way - when I turn a knob I want to hear that change, no more and no less, in the speaker system.  It's a system engineer's job to make that happen.

Or like your doctor... "first, do no harm."
I have actually met people who feel that a system that is responsive to your adjustments is a bad thing.

They have convinced others (the ones that pay the bills) that a responsive system will cost to much to operate, because they would have to hire professional sound people to operate it.

They feel it is better to have a "sloppy" system.  One that you have to move the controls a lot to hear a change.

HEY-I  DO NOT make this stuff up.  That is a true story.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Roland Clarke

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 10:24:46 PM »

My experience is that unresponsive, usually means distortion or comb filtering or both.  Throw up a track, listen to a voice on a 58 and hear a dB tweak on an eq usually means I’m in for a decent night; turning an eq a quarter turn and nothing happens, usually means I’m in trouble, or I’m bypassed! 😉

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 10:46:44 AM »

I feel there are proven systems out there to give you the sound you are looking for that will be better than most D.I.Y solutions - if you are willing to pay the price for quality. A few I've heard and recommend:

JTR Noesis 3TX over Captivator 212 subs (I own a pair of the Noesis 3TX)
Danley SM80 over TH112 or TH115
Fulcrum Acoustics FA12ac or FA15ac over TS212 or TS215

All of the above can easily cover 300+, have great audio fidelity and are reasonably portable. The Fulcrums can be ordered Passive or Active, the Danley & JTR tops are passive, subs can be ordered active, I believe.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Jack Arnott

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2018, 09:47:03 AM »

Hi Jamie,
1) Where are you located? (What country)
2 What is your plan for powering, and controlling the system?
(Processors, eq)

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 08:29:52 AM »

To me DIY is more about fun than money saving..

I would swap out "fun" for "discovery", which is priceless.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 08:29:52 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.