ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8-ohm vs 70V distribution  (Read 1683 times)

Peter Kowalczyk

8-ohm vs 70V distribution
« on: March 07, 2018, 07:20:42 pm »

Hi Folks,

Apologies if this has been asked / beaten to death before....

I'm working on a restaurant system design with a few zones and many speakers in each zone.  In addition to BG music, we plan to send live program material to these speakers from performers in an adjacent space.  Music is a part of the restaurant's brand identity, and the owner gives a sh!t, so audio quality is an important consideration.   

I'm wondering about whether to plan to operate the speakers (QSC Acoustic Design series, various models) in their 8-ohm mode, or in their 70V mode.

Obviously, 8-ohm would require more amp channels and more complex wiring.  However, I gather that audio quality can suffer greatly in 70V mode.

- Can you recommend a good resource for learning about and planning 70V systems?

- What 'threshold conditions' would cause you to plan for 70V distribution? 

- For a large number of distributed speakers in their 8-ohm mode, can series/parallel wiring be effectively used to reduce the number of amp channels required? (Assuming the amp's voltage is adequate for SPL required...)

- What else am I not considering?

Thanks all!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: 8-ohm vs 70V distribution
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 08:08:46 pm »

Quality should be comparable, and only situation where I might lean 8 Ohm vs 70V would be for dance/trance music because of heavy bass content that is stressful for magnetics that saturate from too much bass content.

There are too many resources to list, have you considered doing a search? (kidding of course not).

JR
On the internet people tell you everything "they" know, not the answer to "your" question.

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 03:02:29 pm »

70v, use quality speakers and processing. If you need more bass, use 8ohm ceiling subs in each room.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 10:49:39 pm »

Thanks for mitigating my concerns.  High-impedance distribution will certainly be easier to implement.

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 11:55:14 pm »

70v, use quality speakers and processing. If you need more bass, use 8ohm ceiling subs in each room.

I second the installation of 8 ohm subs with their own processing because of the live music. Otherwise you could get away with 70v subs.

-Hal
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.