Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SM58  (Read 4101 times)

Tim Barber

• Eastern Washington State
SM58
« on: March 07, 2018, 12:19:28 PM »

I sent in an old 600mHz SLX/SM58 wireless system under the Shure rebate program, but kept the capsule as allowed.

Since I'm cheap thrifty, I would like to turn it into a functional mic. Is anyone aware of a suitable microphone body that would mate to the larger diameter threads of the WL capsule? Shure doesn't seem to sell one as a replacement part.

I guess I could just get an XLRM and a piece of PVC pipe  ::)

Pic stolen from B&H.

Scott Helmke

Re: SM58
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 01:05:48 PM »

It'll be missing the usual transformer, though that's not a show-stopper.

Are you sure you want to convert it? It'll be compatible with your new wireless system.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 01:46:32 PM »

Save it as a spare. When you order your new wireless system, get one with a Beta58A or 87A or some other premium capsule, so now you have options. I like options. [However, since you already sent in the rebate... that means you've already bought the new system... haha.]

Or, put it on eBay and get $50 or so for it.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 04:14:14 PM »

With a bit of a tweek you can use it in an older 55.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 05:03:40 PM »

Save it as a spare. When you order your new wireless system, get one with a Beta58A or 87A or some other premium capsule, so now you have options.

+1

Options are good!

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 12:10:50 PM »

For the last set of ULXD I bought I went ahead and got the KSM8 upgrade. Awesome head for corporate work, and cheaper to buy as part of a transmitter rather than alone. If I'd have known earlier about being allowed to keep my original set of SM58 heads I would have bought more upgraded transmitters.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Tim Barber

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 07:22:53 PM »

As Ray suspected, I already bought a replacement ULX-D system before I knew I could keep the head.

Re: Scott's comment...I wired it straight to an input and it seemed to sound just fine. What is the purpose of the stock transformer, anyway? I Googled it and found a niche subculture of people modding 58s with aftermarket transformers to make them sound "amazing" ;D

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 08:57:05 PM »

For the last set of ULXD I bought I went ahead and got the KSM8 upgrade. Awesome head for corporate work, and cheaper to buy as part of a transmitter rather than alone. If I'd have known earlier about being allowed to keep my original set of SM58 heads I would have bought more upgraded transmitters.
Yeah, customer of mine got burned on that as well. Customer sent in for rebate, with Beta87A heads, so sold them PG58 heads to put on the TX when they went in, so they could keep the Beta87s....

I mean, it worked, but would have been nice to not have wasted brand new PG58 heads!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Helmke

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 10:29:07 PM »

Re: Scott's comment...I wired it straight to an input and it seemed to sound just fine. What is the purpose of the stock transformer, anyway? I Googled it and found a niche subculture of people modding 58s with aftermarket transformers to make them sound "amazing" ;D

On another axis of the spectrum you'll find recording types removing the transformer from SM57's for a different sound. The transformer is there to match the copper voice coil impedance to the expected usual mic input impedance - without it you'll probably see a slightly lower volume but maybe wider frequency response.

Tim Barber

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 06:19:03 PM »

OK you guys are going to laugh (or cry)... but I had a little too much time on my hands last night. One SM58 head + one broken desk lamp, and I give you: the Midcentury Modern Talkback Mic.  ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 06:19:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.