Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

Sub design for a 18 Sound 12" subwoofer

(1/7) > >>

Dave Jackman:
Hi all,
I have a Sound 18 12' subwoofer on order and plan to build my own cabinet. The problem that I encountered is that I can't find the specs on it in order to plan a design. I contacted the company in Italy and got a response that it is not a regular production run but rather is a OEM product for another builder and therefore was unable to give the specs.  I know the program power is 600 watts and the peak is 1200 ($ohms) The tech said that all he could tell me that the Fs is between 50 and 55Hz. The model number is 12NW430Y. Any suggestions for an enclosure that could be used with this sub. Not much to go on but that is all I have right now. Thanks in advance.
David

David Morison:
Without getting much more of the normal specifications, no, there really isn't much anyone can suggest.
Do you even know what commercial box this driver came out of? If so, something like that would be the most obvious answer.

If you're reasonably committed to this project and willing to spend a bit more time & money, you could measure enough of the TS parameters to be useful yourself. Here is one guide to how you can do it.

Or, you can buy and learn to use This, though cost suggests that's only likely to be useful if you plan on doing a lot of speaker DIY.

HTH,
David.

duane massey:
Or you could do it old school. Build a cabinet to the size you are are comfortable moving, and then experiment with the port(s) until you get it right. Yes, this is how we used to do it.

Chris Grimshaw:
Measuring T/S parameters is the way to do it. Happy to help once you've got those.

Chances are there's someone nearby that has the equipment to do it, even if they don't realise. I use a pair of guitar cables cut in half, a resistor, and a USB soundcard. Needs two matched inputs (ie, both XLR, or both 1/4" jack - some have one of each and the jack is often high-impedance, which will screw up your measurements).

Chris

Dave Jackman:

--- Quote from: Chris Grimshaw on March 07, 2018, 04:25:05 AM ---Measuring T/S parameters is the way to do it. Happy to help once you've got those.

Chances are there's someone nearby that has the equipment to do it, even if they don't realise. I use a pair of guitar cables cut in half, a resistor, and a USB soundcard. Needs two matched inputs (ie, both XLR, or both 1/4" jack - some have one of each and the jack is often high-impedance, which will screw up your measurements).

Chris

--- End quote ---

Thank you very much. New to me so I  will ask around.
David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version