ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hammond B3 - Would you?  (Read 6930 times)

Chris O’Neal

Hammond B3 - Would you?
« on: March 06, 2018, 02:54:10 PM »

My church, which is a predominantly African American church, (that's important) has the opportunity to purchase a Hammond B3 for about $4,500.

We're in the process of cleaning up our sound, streaming etc.

My concern is that I, as the audio tech, can't really control a B3. I have to mic it for sure, for the stream, and for some limited control.

But I'm also concerned with spending that much money if there is a more controllable, more versatile way of getting the sound. I know that the sound is legendary and difficult to replicate, but given our goal of cleaning the sound up, doesn't a B3 just make my job that much more difficult?

Anyone have any sage wisdom? I'd like to dissuade them, but also want to be armed with some ammunition as to why or why not go in that direction.

Thanks!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 03:20:38 PM »

Anyone have any sage wisdom?

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Ron Bolte

• Mmmmm.. ok...
Re: Hammond B3 - Would you?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 08:26:23 PM »

My concern is that I, as the audio tech, can't really control a B3. I have to mic it for sure, for the stream, and for some limited control.

Easiest way to gain control of a B3 is to put the Leslie (speaker for it) offstage, in an adjoining room and mic it.  Mic the bottom end with a Beta52, two sm57s 120 degrees apart in stereo on the top end, give the player a small monitor/IEM.
Ive done this a few times in an orchestra situation, worked really well.

Ken Webster

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 09:12:23 PM »

Easiest way to gain control of a B3 is to put the Leslie (speaker for it) offstage, in an adjoining room and mic it.  Mic the bottom end with a Beta52, two sm57s 120 degrees apart in stereo on the top end, give the player a small monitor/IEM.

You might find something here, don't know, haven't read the whole thing.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/177047-hammond-organ-1-4-quot-mod.html
I suspect there must be a way to add a TRS.

Ken

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 10:16:21 PM »

Ron is dead on.  Iso it then you’ve got tons of control.  The B3 w/Leslie is classic gospel sound.  If that’s what you’re going for then do it.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 10:34:15 PM »

I might recommend the Hammond section of the Organ Forum for any modifications that you might want to do. http://www.organforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?24-Hammond-Organs

You don't mention a Leslie cabinet, though.  Is there one included with the organ?  Many Hammond organs are *not* sold with the Leslie speaker, and your congregation might be sorely disappointed with the instrument if you don't have one.  There might be a vibrato setting on the instrument itself, but it's quite different from the type of tremolo you get from using the Leslie speaker.  You won't want a direct out from the organ to the board if you don't have something to give you a genuine Leslie effect.  These instruments are ubiquitous in the African American church, so you're congregation will know the sound and probably notice the difference if it is sub-par. 

All that said, you do need to realize that these things were invented before churches had sound systems, and thus needed to fill the entire room with enough sound accompany an entire congregation. (The original purpose of the Hammond was a low cost alternative to a pipe organ).  A good choir accompanied by a Hammond & Leslie does not need to be amplified, but people today are used to much louder services than that usually renders.  There is also a huge amount of dynamic range since you have both the drawbar registrations and the expression/swell pedal affecting how loud the instrument is. 

Not sure if that really gives you help one way or the other, but I think it's useful information nonetheless.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 10:53:10 PM »

Yes you want the B3.

We have one on stage. I have 2 "gobos" on the sides facing the audience. Third side is against a wall, and the 4th side faces off stage towards the key player.

It is behind the wooden things made from fencewood on the right, right behind the guitar player. They have some rockwool and fabric on the inside.

https://youtu.be/QifLYkxgSes
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:55:39 PM by Tim Weaver »
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
Hammond B3 - Would you?
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 11:10:08 PM »

I’m in a similar situation as you. I go to an apostolic church where organ is used in the music and also during the preaching (probably similar to your situation I’m guessing). First of all, yes, get the B3. Haha there’s nothing like the real thing.

We have ours mic’d with an e602 and an sm57. Out Leslie is in the house. Our organ player just knows what level he has to stay under and FOH adjusts according to the song.

I would prefer to isolate, but we can’t right now. If you can isolate then, as stated above, I would do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 01:06:16 AM »

You might find something here, don't know, haven't read the whole thing.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/177047-hammond-organ-1-4-quot-mod.html
I suspect there must be a way to add a TRS.

Ken

Keep in mind that the unique sound of a Hammond (and, for that matter, many older electric and electronic organs) isn't entirely electrical. Some of it is acoustic, either from the loudspeakers interacting with the console itself, or if it has the Leslie cabinet, then the mechanical effects of a spinning loudspeaker.

So tapping off the output may give you an entirely different sound.

I don't really know, though, since I have no hands-on experience with a Hammond B3 organ.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 01:37:06 AM »

Keep in mind that the unique sound of a Hammond (and, for that matter, many older electric and electronic organs) isn't entirely electrical. Some of it is acoustic, either from the loudspeakers interacting with the console itself, or if it has the Leslie cabinet, then the mechanical effects of a spinning loudspeaker.

So tapping off the output may give you an entirely different sound.

I don't really know, though, since I have no hands-on experience with a Hammond B3 organ.

With the Hammond Tone Wheel Organs, it's a little of both.

The unique way the keys press down on the "leaves" of contacts that in turn send voltage to the tone wheel pickups is how the organ get's it's signature attack. The second half of the sound is the spinning speaker in the leslie cabinet.

A little trivia. One of the most famous songs played on a Hammond organ did not actually use a leslie. Do you know what the song is?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 01:37:06 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.