Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

A1 etiquette

(1/6) > >>

Kyle Rasmussen:
Hi all, this is a strange situation that I've run into a few times and am curious where you fellow A1's draw the line.

I work at a museum where we have a 300 cap theater for live presentations during the day, corporate and/or social event buyouts.  It's a pretty standard equipped theater: 32 channel LS9, digital stage box, suspended VRX mains/subs, 1080p 7,500 lumen projector, 10'x16' screen...

My job is to oversee, maintain, and serve as A1 for *all* presentations, meetings, events, etc.  However we occasionally have clients that need more video capabilities than our theater is equipped with, and will need to hire an outside AV company to assist.

I'm in a situation where the outside company wants to bring in another A1 and use me as A2, even though they will be using entirely museum-provided equipment.  Since this is essentially "my house", I don't really feel comfortable letting an outside A1 be in charge of the equipment that I buy, install and maintain, or mix on a console that I've patched and saved scenes for the daily needs of the theater, in a room that he or she has never mixed in before.  I typically adhere to a "only museum staff can operate museum-owned AV equipment" policy... does that sound unreasonable to any of you?

Basically, I'm not comfortable having someone else come in to do my job.

I'm sure I'm not alone on this, but I'm curious if anyone else has had similar experiences and how to gracefully deal with it.

lindsay Dean:
Sounds like the powers-that-be will decide what your role will be ,otherwise you have to be courteous and make sure they don't blow anything up, and save all your scenes and settings  before they even touch your system

Kyle Rasmussen:

--- Quote from: lindsay Dean on March 06, 2018, 01:03:18 PM ---Sounds like the powers-that-be will decide what your role will be, otherwise you have to be courteous and make sure they don't blow anything up, and save all your scenes and settings  before they even touch your system

--- End quote ---

Who do you mean by the powers-that-be?  At work, I am the power-that-is haha.  Having someone blow something up is my fear, partially because if anything happens we don't have the budget or stock to immediately replace anything.  That would be a major issue for the daily presentations and other clients that have the theater reserved, and I would almost certainly get the heat for it.

lindsay Dean:
If you're using the wireless connection like an iPad or whatever, you can be ready when it or if things start getting out of control.
also set your limiters to a lower threshold on the mains.
 covertly of course

Kyle Rasmussen:

--- Quote from: lindsay Dean on March 06, 2018, 01:24:25 PM ---If you're using the wireless connection like an iPad or whatever, you can be ready when it or if things start getting out of control.
also set your limiters to a lower threshold on the mains.
 covertly of course

--- End quote ---

We don't have an iPad unfortunately.  I guess the big question is, is it unheard of for a theater with a dedicated A1 to not allow outside people to use their equipment?  Especially in a setting like ours where it gets used for daily presentations and *nothing* can be out of place.  Honestly it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version