Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Controlling lights via Ableton

(1/2) > >>

Jonah Mociun:
I thought I posted about this yesterday..  not sure if it got removed somehow, maybe cause it included a bunch of links to products I was considering?

I'm trying figure out the cheapest/simplest way to make some MIDI buttons turn on LED's while the buttons are depressed.  I'm working with 10 separate buttons and I'd like each button to turn on a separate light or strip of lights.  (Photo of the lights and buttons attached.)

I can figure out the software part on my own but I'm confused about the hardware.  It seems like using DMX will require a bunch of extra boxes that I don't want to have to deal with, so I'm gathering that a microcontroller board will be better.  I'm told that a MicroPython board such as the Adafruit Feather will be better than Arduino - why, I don't know.  I don't have any experience with DIY electronics or programming and I'm hoping to find a solution that a non-genius like myself will be able to implement without too much trouble.

Jeff Lelko:

--- Quote from: jonahmo on March 05, 2018, 08:40:45 PM ---I thought I posted about this yesterday..  not sure if it got removed somehow, maybe cause it included a bunch of links to products I was considering?

--- End quote ---

I can't speak to any deleted posts, but you need to change your user name to your actual first and last name per the rules you agreed to when signing up.  No one will be able to help you until you take care of this.  Thanks!

Jonah Mociun:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on March 05, 2018, 08:52:13 PM ---I can't speak to any deleted posts, but you need to change your user name to your actual first and last name per the rules you agreed to when signing up.  No one will be able to help you until you take care of this.  Thanks!

--- End quote ---

Thank you, done!

Erik Jerde:
Forum search is your friend here.  This has been discussed a few times already.

Jonah Mociun:

--- Quote from: Erik Jerde on March 05, 2018, 11:57:06 PM ---Forum search is your friend here.  This has been discussed a few times already.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Erik.  I looked at other posts in this vein and they don't quite encompass what I'm trying to do.

I should clarify.  The bongos are not actually MIDI controllers.  They're Nintendo with a USB adapter.  The USB signal is converted to MIDI data in the computer and then sent to Ableton.  With Ableton I'd like to send data back out of the computer into 10 separate single-color LED's (8 strips, 2 single lights), I'm guessing via DMX or a microcontroller like Arduino or something.  I know that there are Ableton plug-ins for both Arduino and DMX.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version