Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

Rauland-Borg TAC125 into 4 ohm Cab?

(1/3) > >>

Jay Stephen:
I have an old but working Rauland-Borg ("Webster") SS amp that I'd like to use as a subwoofer amp driving a 2x15 4 ohm cab. The amp has 70V and 25V output options. I believe the correct formula to arrive at output impedance is Output Voltage squared divided by nameplate output watts = speaker ohms.
So in my case, 25 squared divided by 125 = 5 ohms.
My cabinet is 4 ohms and I know I could open it up and put the 2- 15's in series (16 ohms) but should I "cheat" and leave the cab at 4 ohms? Or, is there another workaround other than to go the series route?
Thanks.

Keith Broughton:

--- Quote from: JayZ on March 04, 2018, 07:10:37 AM ---I have an old but working Rauland-Borg ("Webster") SS amp that I'd like to use as a subwoofer amp driving a 2x15 4 ohm cab. The amp has 70V and 25V output options. I believe the correct formula to arrive at output impedance is Output Voltage squared divided by nameplate output watts = speaker ohms.
My cabinet is 4 ohms and I know I could open it up and put the 2- 15's in series (16 ohms) but should I "cheat" and leave the cab at 4 ohms? Or, is there another workaround other than to go the series route?
Thanks.

--- End quote ---
I'm sure you will get some helpful advice once you use your real name as per forum rules.

Jay Stephen:
Re-posted. Apparently someone doesn't like me using the nickname I have had for many years. "I have an old but working Rauland-Borg ("Webster") SS amp that I'd like to use as a subwoofer amp driving a 2x15 4 ohm cab. The amp has 70V and 25V output options. I believe the correct formula to arrive at output impedance is Output Voltage squared divided by nameplate output watts = speaker ohms.
Thanks."

Keith Broughton:

--- Quote from: Jay Stephen on March 04, 2018, 10:57:59 AM ---Re-posted. Apparently someone doesn't like me using the nickname I have had for many years. "I have an old but working Rauland-Borg ("Webster") SS amp that I'd like to use as a subwoofer amp driving a 2x15 4 ohm cab. The amp has 70V and 25V output options. I believe the correct formula to arrive at output impedance is Output Voltage squared divided by nameplate output watts = speaker ohms.
Thanks."

--- End quote ---
A couple of points...
What is the actual power rating of the amp?
If there is a 70 and 25 volt output, there is probably a transformer on the output and that could be bypassed for a 4 ohm load.
Most of the 70 volt amps I have seen are relatively low powered and may not be suitable for sub applications.

Jay Stephen:
Thanks. The power output appears to be 125 watts RMS. I used it on a cabinet with 2x12 16ohms and you are correct, it is pretty low power but it was sufficient for my purpose. Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate a schematic but I'd be interested in knowing how to bypass the output transformer and use it on the 4 ohm cabinet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version