ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can TV affect wi-fi controlled DMX fixtures?  (Read 6593 times)

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
Re: Can TV affect wi-fi controlled DMX fixtures?
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 06:25:08 AM »

Yes -  1 universe....I split each lighting tree from the DMX splitter so that one doesn't affect the other. Each split has a max of 4 lights attached per side - 8 total.

Off topic, but, I am not sure I understand what the splitter is doing for you. Is it solving some previous problem?
Member since 2005.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2018, 09:37:35 AM »

Off topic, but, I am not sure I understand what the splitter is doing for you. Is it solving some previous problem?

I have used the DMX splitter for years and much prefer it to daisy chaining.
If there is an issue with a fixture on one split string, it doesn't necessarily affect the fixtures on other one. Case in point, if I had daisy chained my 2 tripods (4 lamps each) at these 2 shows, ALL my fixtures could have been affected but it was isolated to one side only.
DMX is a bit tough to troubleshoot sometimes - ie. when things go wrong, it is not always obvious which fixture, connection or piece of hardware is causing it because the problem could be in one fixture, yet it is evidenced in a totally different  part of the string.  The splitter helps to isolate problems.
It also allows for neater cabling as both sides are individually fed from one central position instead of having to run a cable from the tripod on one side to the other.

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2018, 02:04:48 PM »

Have you checked your cabling for continuity on all 3 pins? Wiggle a bit with the connectors at each light, especially the ones that carry the lines from below. Might be a faulty connector pin or solder joint. I find it hard to believe a tv has anything to do with your problem, looking at the dmx bitrate compared to tv/video signals.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2018, 02:22:52 PM »

Have you checked your cabling for continuity on all 3 pins? Wiggle a bit with the connectors at each light, especially the ones that carry the lines from below. Might be a faulty connector pin or solder joint. I find it hard to believe a tv has anything to do with your problem, looking at the dmx bitrate compared to tv/video signals.

Maybe but it is such coincidence that on the only 2 occasions this occurred, the side with the issue had  an LED TV within feet of that tripod.

I just set everything up AGAIN - now 3 days in a row each time coming from different outlets BUT using the exact same cables as the last time it happened. I even used the cables I switched out after the first time it happened but everything is stable - no flickers.

I hope this isn't going to be like an old car I once owned but in reverse. Every time I drove it , there was a problem with the transmission but then when I took it to the shop - no problem.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2018, 02:40:48 PM »

I hope this isn't going to be like an old car I once owned but in reverse. Every time I drove it , there was a problem with the transmission but then when I took it to the shop - no problem.

/snarky mode on/ Was it a manual? /snarky mode off/

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 09:09:08 PM »

/snarky mode on/ Was it a manual? /snarky mode off/

Well, I grew up in the UK where they mainly drive manual transmission vehicles - they were pretty much ALL that way when I lived there.
PLUS I was a qualified driving instructor (2 year course qualification in the U.K.) and I taught people to drive cars with manual transmissions all day long.......so it probably wasn't my fault.....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 09:09:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.