ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: PSA: Sennheiser e904 $99  (Read 44420 times)

Mike Santarelli

Re: PSA: Sennheiser e904 $99
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 01:52:16 AM »

Don't know what the January offer was but February's was the e865 for $99.95. It is still listed on Sweetwater's website for that price.

Thanks! (Sarcasm). I just ordered a few e865 now as well. I need rehab to stop buying gear.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 07:47:27 AM »

Thanks! (Sarcasm). I just ordered a few e865 now as well. I need rehab to stop buying gear.
Get married.... ;D
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 08:03:48 AM »

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 10:11:42 AM »

Put in an order for a few more, after I found they sounded quite nice on acoustic guitar and other strummed instruments.

4" away from a ukulele, I could get enough in the monitors that I could hear the monitor over the instrument itself, while standing next to the musician.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 12:08:29 PM »

Put in an order for a few more, after I found they sounded quite nice on acoustic guitar and other strummed instruments.

4" away from a ukulele, I could get enough in the monitors that I could hear the monitor over the instrument itself, while standing next to the musician.

Chris

One of the applications I found for the E504-series drum mics was in the orchestra, micing celli.  I used Mic-Eze (butterfly) clips on the upright tube of the music stand and the conductor and orchestra manager liked the section very much.  We used MD421 on the basses, 1 per instrument and found them to work nicely with the E504.

I've also used them on horns (trombone & trumpet) and guitar amps.  Hadn't tried them on strings like the uke you had but will have to experiment some more.  Thanks for the report.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 01:20:09 PM »

Richard Turner

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 02:42:25 PM »

up here in the frozen north I just ordered my 4 at the local long-mcquade, 55 on order in transit another 118 so far going on the next stock order and its only week 1 of the promo. I guess I might see them in june....

I hope they stick with the higher end offerings, 906 would be nice to see on promo as opposed to e835 for $50 although dumping a massive amount of e835PTT on the market would be amusing.....
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 05:39:36 PM »

One of the applications I found for the E504-series drum mics was in the orchestra, micing celli.  I used Mic-Eze (butterfly) clips on the upright tube of the music stand and the conductor and orchestra manager liked the section very much.  We used MD421 on the basses, 1 per instrument and found them to work nicely with the E504.

I've also used them on horns (trombone & trumpet) and guitar amps.  Hadn't tried them on strings like the uke you had but will have to experiment some more.  Thanks for the report.

Hey Tim, thanks for the datapoint.
I ran a quick measurement of the e904 that arrived, and found its response was exceptionally smooth, with a slight upwards tilt. Compared to an SM86, the e904 had a smoother response, but the SM86 was closer to horizontal. The e904 was much smoother than a Beta-57a, and an EV N/D478.
The e904 also has the advantage of being extremely small, so getting it in close to an instrument is quite easy.

I've got a gig with a band next weekend, so I might throw the e904 at something unusual and record the result. Not necessarily use it for the live sound, but just to see what it picks up. Options are any part of a standard drum kit, couple of guitar amps, bass amp... What do we wanna hear?

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 11:26:52 PM »

Hey Tim, thanks for the datapoint.
I ran a quick measurement of the e904 that arrived, and found its response was exceptionally smooth, with a slight upwards tilt. Compared to an SM86, the e904 had a smoother response, but the SM86 was closer to horizontal. The e904 was much smoother than a Beta-57a, and an EV N/D478.
The e904 also has the advantage of being extremely small, so getting it in close to an instrument is quite easy.

I've got a gig with a band next weekend, so I might throw the e904 at something unusual and record the result. Not necessarily use it for the live sound, but just to see what it picks up. Options are any part of a standard drum kit, couple of guitar amps, bass amp... What do we wanna hear?

Chris

I found the e-x04 drum mics to be relatively hype-free, too.  I think that's why we both find them useful on other sources.  Take your pick, I think you could try gtr amps or snare (not clipped to the drum,  use a stand).  Or overheads or drummer vocal mic.

Try it in the PA.  Do it for England!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2018, 03:52:57 AM »

Hey Tim,

I was thinking of putting the mic on something unconventional. If I reported back that an e904 works on snare, that wouldn't really be news - they're drum mics. Overhead, hi-hat or bass amp would raise some eyebrows, as would vocals.

A quick test indicates there's a lot of plosives there (no surprise), so I'm going to add some foam and see what happens. If it works well (and it'd have to work really really well), I might end up doubling my order.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2018, 03:52:57 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.