ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm guessing wireless mic and IEM should be in different racks  (Read 4148 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC

As the post teases, putting a Senn g3 wireless mic receiver on "A" band the same 1u or 2u rack as a Senn g3 IEM transmitter also on the "A" band would not be considered best practice.

If one could (did) how would the antenna spacing work assuming 1/4 wave fold-up antennae on both units.

thanks

frank

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: I'm guessing wireless mic and IEM should be in different racks
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »

As the post teases, putting a Senn g3 wireless mic receiver on "A" band the same 1u or 2u rack as a Senn g3 IEM transmitter also on the "A" band would not be considered best practice.

If one could (did) how would the antenna spacing work assuming 1/4 wave fold-up antennae on both units.

thanks

frank
One possible solution is to have the antennas for the transmitters on the front of the rack and the antennas for the receivers on the back of the rack.
Not an ideal solution but a place to start.
It would also help to tune the mics at one end of the band and the IEMs at another.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:52:55 PM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 03:43:36 PM »

Antenna receive and distribution to receivers are easy to find so yes place them on the back of the rack.  You do have to have removable antenna on the receivers.   ok yes duh.   The transmitters antenna on the front still can creep into the receivers so try to keep them away from being directly in front of the face plates and nobs.  4 inchs is best distance.  I then take the two antenna for the receivers and remote mount on stands to the left and right.   

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 04:10:40 PM »

Antenna receive and distribution to receivers are easy to find so yes place them on the back of the rack.  You do have to have removable antenna on the receivers.   ok yes duh.   The transmitters antenna on the front still can creep into the receivers so try to keep them away from being directly in front of the face plates and nobs.  4 inchs is best distance.  I then take the two antenna for the receivers and remote mount on stands to the left and right.   

Thanks Keith and Jerome, 
I had things working with the transmit antenna up front and the receiver antennae out back - mostly because Senn supplied an antenna extender (1) for the IEM unit and none for the receive unit.
Good thoughts to reverse the trans/receive antennae. I'll find another cable to extend the antennae to the front panel.
frank

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 04:24:06 PM »

Certainly not a best practice. I would suspect you’ll get a lot of signal from your ears into your mics. Can you live with that?  It all depends.

Get a scan of what your Rx antenna sees. Probably frightening :).
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 06:44:23 PM »

It doesn't matter too much how close together the transmitter and receiver electronics are in the rack, though with the Evolution series, there's a little bit of LO leakage so I would recommend 1RU between them.

The antennas on the other hand are a completely different matter. The correct answer is get proper dipole omni's or LPDA's (or better yet, both, to give you options), and mount them on mic stands or clamps to get them away from obstructions (the rack), above peoples' heads, and separated from each other by at least 4'-5'.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 07:40:17 PM »

and mount them on mic stands or clamps to get them away from obstructions (the rack), above peoples' heads, and separated from each other by at least 4'-5'.
Walked by a FOH setup today on my way out of the venue (loading into a different show, next room over). Pair of UA874US, on T/T stands (with the FOH riser, probably at my head height, barely). Separated by about a foot, maybe 18 inches, aimed at the stage on the other side of the room, 100+ feet away. They were probably splayed about 30-40° or so, that's it.

Pondering how effective they'll be... :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 08:20:37 PM »

Pondering how effective they'll be... :)

-Ray

Probably just enough to allow the tech to continue ignoring best practices and say these dreaded words to a proper RF tech, "This has always worked before. Why do we need to change it?"

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 10:03:21 PM »

Probably just enough to allow the tech to continue ignoring best practices and say these dreaded words to a proper RF tech, "This has always worked before. Why do we need to change it?"

And if not enough, able to blame it on the equipment, the FCC, the cellular carriers, video wall, the coordination (if done by some one else), anything but his own lack of knowledge. Sigh.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 06:52:53 AM »

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I had those exact words told to me (the RF tech on a festival rock show) from a "band you have heard of".
The IEM antenna was 6" below the mic antennas on the same desk mic stand.!

Anyway, my suggestion was based on how the OP posed his question but, as indicated, a better solution is to get outboard antennas on stands.
That said, the front / rear solution worked for Deb.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 06:52:53 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.