ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote controlled led lights for light totems  (Read 5116 times)

Ryan Treasure

Remote controlled led lights for light totems
« on: March 01, 2018, 12:50:55 PM »

I'm new to this, so please bare with me. I am the Director of a not for profit winter drum line group. I am looking for some "most bang for the buck" remote led lights for some props we have built. They would need to produce RGBW. They don't even need to move around. My "dad crew" have built six 10' tall aluminum truss totems (as one is a professional welder) that I am looking to pull scrims over. Ideally, when all is said and done, these will be 10' columns that light up and can change color on demand throughout the performance. I'm looking for any suggestions you may have on what type of lights/remote and where to purchase these? Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 01:05:52 PM by Ryan Treasure »

John L Nobile

Ryan Treasure

Steve Garris

Re: Remote controlled led lights for light totems
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 01:31:26 PM »

I'm new to this, so please bare with me. I am the Director of a not for profit winter drum line group. I am looking for some "most bang for the buck" remote led lights for some props we have built. They would need to produce RGBW. They don't even need to move around. My "dad crew" have built six 10' tall aluminum truss totems (as one is a professional welder) that I am looking to pull scrims over. Ideally, when all is said and done, these will be 10' columns that light up and can change color throughout the performance. I'm looking for any suggestions you may have on what type of lights/remote and where to purchase these? Thanks in advance!

I also use the lights John posted and can say they'll do the job as good as any.
https://goo.gl/NC9Ca9

The real issue is how you are going to control them remotely. There are wireless lights and light controllers on the market, but they come at a very high cost. The best solution IMO is to purchase the light board you want, then adapt it for wireless use. Just about any $100 controller will allow you to program scenes, where you simply push a button and the lights will change as programmed. The last step, to make it wireless, is to use these Donner units, basically eliminating all dmx cables. I use these successfully everywhere, and it both simplifies and speeds up setup time:
https://goo.gl/UiRCLX

Be advised that the Donner's come in battery powered, and non-powered versions which require a small power supply to be plugged in along with the light. I use the battery units (link above), that are rechargeable, and last about 5 hours on each charge. They also work with the power supply in case you need them longer.

Here is a simple DMX controller that would do the job. You will need help in learning how to program it, which you can find on this forum.
https://goo.gl/iMwgpp

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 01:43:48 PM »

And here is a version with remote control. I too own 12 of this style lamp (non-remote) but I also own a couple of remote controlled ones that are similar.
For the money they cannot be beat and with a remote control included might just be your answer.
The IR remotes do mean you can't be too far from them - maybe 20 feet or so -so bear that in mind.

remote RGBW{/url]
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ryan Treasure

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 02:00:33 PM »

I also use the lights John posted and can say they'll do the job as good as any.
https://goo.gl/NC9Ca9

The real issue is how you are going to control them remotely. There are wireless lights and light controllers on the market, but they come at a very high cost. The best solution IMO is to purchase the light board you want, then adapt it for wireless use. Just about any $100 controller will allow you to program scenes, where you simply push a button and the lights will change as programmed. The last step, to make it wireless, is to use these Donner units, basically eliminating all dmx cables. I use these successfully everywhere, and it both simplifies and speeds up setup time:
https://goo.gl/UiRCLX

Be advised that the Donner's come in battery powered, and non-powered versions which require a small power supply to be plugged in along with the light. I use the battery units (link above), that are rechargeable, and last about 5 hours on each charge. They also work with the power supply in case you need them longer.

Here is a simple DMX controller that would do the job. You will need help in learning how to program it, which you can find on this forum.
https://goo.gl/iMwgpp

Thanks, Steve!

Ryan Treasure

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 02:01:32 PM »

And here is a version with remote control. I too own 12 of this style lamp (non-remote) but I also own a couple of remote controlled ones that are similar.
For the money they cannot be beat and with a remote control included might just be your answer.
The IR remotes do mean you can't be too far from them - maybe 20 feet or so -so bear that in mind.

remote RGBW{/url]

Thanks, Debbie!

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 02:49:19 PM »

Will you always have AC power easily available, or might you need battery powered lights for ease or speed of set up and tear down?
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Ryan Treasure

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 08:07:12 PM »

Will you always have AC power easily available, or might you need battery powered lights for ease or speed of set up and tear down?

They would need to be battery powered.

John Fruits

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 08:27:25 PM »

Have you considered rental?
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 08:27:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.