ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: This old house and a new bench  (Read 3728 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
This old house and a new bench
« on: February 26, 2018, 08:22:16 PM »

I mentioned 3-4 months ago that I was heading towards retirement, and part of heading in that direction is to finish any home projects, pay down the bills if any, and make damn sure the house is in good shape before you cut those work ties.

Heading towards retirement doesn't mean crawling under a rock. What it does mean is taking a look at how to stay occupied with activities near and dear to your heart, that your family can be a part of, and that don't take 100% of your time away from the recliner.

My plan all along was/is to stay involved with pro sound, my band, and my passion for all things Fender / tube amplifier.

To that end I asked Santa for some quality routers and accessories, and as has always been the case Mrs. Santa and the two girl elves went crazy. (My only wish would be for a couple of grandchildren just like Mac's, but taller.)

So as life may be, immediately after xmas my boiler went downhill leaving me without heat and hot water through new years, and causing outages through 5 weeks, 9 visits from the oil company, and who knows how much money out of my own pocket for parts not covered under the service contract.

The decision has been made to replace the boiler, and add a zone to the heating system. My life long friend and side man owns the oldest plumbing company in Boston, almost as old as my 100 year old house, and he is advising me through my portion of the project which is to build out the manifold for the 3 zones and hot water, plus the return manifold making the install almost plug and play.

The new router/radial arm saw bench is below, followed by pictures of the manifolds, TACO pumps and zone controls.

The bench is equipped with a 1.5HP 4" dust system located behind the half wall sitting on the chimney foundation, it's supported by 8ea. 4"x4" legs and the top, which supports the radial arm saw and dovetail jig, is 3/4" birch plywood.

The dust collection system for the router table (on wheels), drill press, table saw, and jig, will be completed as soon as my blast gates arrive, so what's left is the lower shelving, drawers and lighting.

I was inspired by a fellow labster, who I hope critiques my work. (His bench is way better than mine.)

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: This old house and a new bench
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 08:22:49 PM »

Bench
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 08:23:23 PM »

plumbing
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 08:24:43 PM »

PS - The extension cabinets are available to order, and to your specs. PM if interested.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 08:42:11 PM »

Cabinets on the way out.

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 10:03:00 PM »

I mentioned 3-4 months ago that I was heading towards retirement, and part of heading in that direction is to finish any home projects, pay down the bills if any, and make damn sure the house is in good shape before you cut those work ties.

Heading towards retirement doesn't mean crawling under a rock. What it does mean is taking a look at how to stay occupied with activities near and dear to your heart, that your family can be a part of, and that don't take 100% of your time away from the recliner.

My plan all along was/is to stay involved with pro sound, my band, and my passion for all things Fender / tube amplifier.

Congratulations! Can I say, JEALOUS.

Mac

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 06:45:00 AM »

It hasn't happened yet Mac. Hopefully about this time next year god willing. Thank you.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 09:00:09 AM »

Wicked cool setup Bob.  I've had a similar bench for nearly 25 years(no radial ahm sawr tho), just two vises.  I also put a shelf underneath, just can't waste that space. Plus I made it the same height as my table sawr setup to use as an extra support for lahge pieces.

Congrats on impending retirement, and having a game plan.  I figure I'll be making things in the shop as well. 

Best regahds,

John

;)

Scott Helmke

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 09:54:51 AM »

Pah. My DeWalt radial arm saw is older than yours.  ;)

Nice setup!  I still need to actually get my saws & benches lined up better the way you've done it.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 12:18:53 PM »

Scott,
My first DeWalt was made in 1952. Bought it for $50 and sold it for $100. It had very little horse power which actually made it more dangerous to use. I put a 3 blade molding head on it and it caught up in the wood and shot a 1x3 through the side of a metal storage cabinet. I bought the one in the picture at a J.C. Penny outlet store in 1985 for $125. Big money back then.

John,
I have the material for the lower shelf and the Kreg router table, which is on wheels, mates up with the bench in any location. I'm waiting for the blast gates for the dust collection system, and considering some track for the top of the fence so I can mount an adjustable stop system. I stopped last Friday because I didn't feel to shit hot. Now I have the flu.

The weather is OK, so I might just jump in the cah, drive down to the rivah, and watch the ducks. Maybe some fresh aya will help with the flu.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 12:21:24 PM »

I dig the dovetailed speaker cabinet. Nice work.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 01:16:46 PM »

Scott,
My first DeWalt was made in 1952. Bought it for $50 and sold it for $100. It had very little horse power which actually made it more dangerous to use.

Lots of green cast iron, I'm guessing. Sounds very much like mine, a model MB that my grandpa originally bought in the 50's. I just recently fixed it up after rescuing it from my Dad's shed, and it does a really nice job on cross cuts. Really don't use it for anything else.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 01:51:30 PM »

There''s nothing like a large table where you can manage a decent sized piece of wood without manhandling it in the air.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 06:10:41 PM »

8'x34" Steve.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 06:10:41 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.