ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I route these DMX lights?  (Read 3050 times)

Kaylene Widdoes

How do I route these DMX lights?
« on: February 25, 2018, 02:42:09 PM »

Hello! First time to this forum! I had a quick question about how to route all of these DMX lights so I can program them.

I have two towers, each with 1 American DJ profile panel and 1 JLPOW par can (https://www.amazon.com/JLPOW-Control-lighting-Birthdays-Christmas/dp/B077DJBDZZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519587570&sr=8-1&keywords=jlpow+stage+light&dpID=51zoxYZljFL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch)

I am running it all through an Enttec DMXIS.

I was wondering how to chain all of this together so that I can program the lights? I am okay having both towers doing the same thing. As far as I can understand, I cannot daisy chain together two different fixtures, so would I have to get a DMX splitter to control the different fixtures separately? Thanks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: How do I route these DMX lights?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 02:54:33 PM »

Hello! First time to this forum!

Greetings.  Before anyone can help you you'll need to change your user name to your actual first and last name per the forum rules you agreed to when signing up.  Thanks.

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 04:04:51 PM »

No, you have to daisy chain, you cannot "Y" or split the signal. You could use a splitter.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 04:07:36 PM »

I was wondering how to chain all of this together so that I can program the lights? I am okay having both towers doing the same thing. As far as I can understand, I cannot daisy chain together two different fixtures, so would I have to get a DMX splitter to control the different fixtures separately?

Thanks. 

You string all your lights together using proper DMX cable, starting with your controller and ending with your last fixture (and ideally a terminator).  You then set the starting address of each fixture so that there's no overlap if you want individual control of each unit.  No splitter is needed.

This is an honest question - have you read the manual for any of your equipment?  I can't speak for the Amazon product but most ADJ and almost certainly your Enttec product will give a brief explanation on how to set up a basic DMX system.  Usually there's a nice diagram to also show how this works.  Hope this helps!   

Kaylene Widdoes

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 07:58:12 PM »

Thanks. 

You string all your lights together using proper DMX cable, starting with your controller and ending with your last fixture (and ideally a terminator).  You then set the starting address of each fixture so that there's no overlap if you want individual control of each unit.  No splitter is needed.

This is an honest question - have you read the manual for any of your equipment?  I can't speak for the Amazon product but most ADJ and almost certainly your Enttec product will give a brief explanation on how to set up a basic DMX system.  Usually there's a nice diagram to also show how this works.  Hope this helps!   

Ok awesome! So I can in fact daisy chain together two different fixtures as long as they are starting at different addresses in the DMXIs software?

I have read the manual and I have the profile panel up and running - unfortunately the one I bought on Amazon does not have a fixture file yet so I'm having trouble even setting things up to test...

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 08:15:52 PM »

Ok awesome! So I can in fact daisy chain together two different fixtures as long as they are starting at different addresses in the DMXIs software?

Yes, and in fact you can put multiple fixtures of similar or different make/model on the same address, but you'll lose the ability to control each fixture individually. Sometimes this isn't a big deal, especially if you're trying to fit a lot of fixtures onto a small board, but usually using different makes/model of fixture on the same address doesn't work out too well since each channel's attribute will likely be different.

In other words, your controller has no way of knowing which fixtures it's connected to since the lights don't talk to the controller or each other - they just react to the data they're being sent. 

I have read the manual and I have the profile panel up and running - unfortunately the one I bought on Amazon does not have a fixture file yet so I'm having trouble even setting things up to test...

Yes, that's unfortunately one of the downsides to buying fixtures that aren't name brand.  The best way to handle this is to patch your controller 1:1 and just go through the channels, taking notes as to what each one controls.  Then you can build your fixture profile.  Luckily, fixtures such as what you bought are a little easier to handle versus trying to reverse engineer the programming on a moving head.  Good luck!

Steve Garris

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 01:11:27 PM »

This is a common misconception I was trying to explain to my band members. It does not matter where the fixtures are in the wiring chain. The fixture address is what matters.

Another option to split a dmx signal to different locations is to use a wireless dmx transmitter & receivers. I use this unit from Donner and it works flawlessly at every gig, with no need for long dmx cables. I send the signal from my controller to 3 different light trees.

https://goo.gl/cftjKZ

Rob Gow

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 02:13:22 PM »

Not a huge deal. You can make a profile in DMXIS. They also have generic 5 channel, 7 channel etc I believe as well.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 02:13:22 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.