ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: PreSonus Studio Live 16 Series III or Behringer X32 Producer???  (Read 9601 times)

Josh Weitkamp

PreSonus Studio Live 16 Series III or Behringer X32 Producer???
« on: February 24, 2018, 08:21:28 PM »

I need some “expert” advice!!! I’m looking to upgrade my foh setup to be able to start bidding bigger shows. Here’s my dilemma...

Right now, I run a PreSonus RM16AI and love it. Great sounding preamps, love the ease of use of the UC Surface software, really the only thing I dislike about it is FireWire only recording and no rta on the iPad app. Well, I have two choices of upgrade with two different price points.

First choice is stick with PreSonus, keep the comfortability I’ve been using for the last three years and get the new Studio Live 32r and a Series III 16 channel console for foh control (3400.00 bucks altogether)

Or go with a cheaper option that gives me the same features, Behringer. Now I’ve used the X32 console and the X32 Mix apps previously, and I do dig a lot of what it has to offer. Mainly the larger number of options in the fx department. Now I can get the X32 Producer which is rack mountable and the S32 stage box for 2100 bucks. It saves me 1300 dollars on the back end, but what, if any, issues or hiccups would I be expecting with this system??

Help me choose dammit!!!!

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Re: PreSonus Studio Live 16 Series III or Behringer X32 Producer???
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 08:54:54 PM »

First choice is stick with PreSonus, keep the comfortability I’ve been using for the last three years and get the new Studio Live 32r and a Series III 16 channel console for foh control (3400.00 bucks altogether)

Or go with a cheaper option that gives me the same features, Behringer. Now I’ve used the X32 console and the X32 Mix apps previously, and I do dig a lot of what it has to offer. Mainly the larger number of options in the fx department. Now I can get the X32 Producer which is rack mountable and the S32 stage box for 2100 bucks. It saves me 1300 dollars on the back end, but what, if any, issues or hiccups would I be expecting with this system??

Help me choose dammit!!!!

Josh, I have only use the PreSonus Studio Live version 1 a couple of times so take this for what it is worth.  I liked most of what the mixer did with the exception of re-callable head amps and moving faders.  If they had those feature I would have probably bought into the PreSonus line and stayed with it.  However, I bought into the X32 line in 2012 and I have been happy with it and the Midas M32 series consoles that every since.

So, as to what you asked.  If it was me and I was familiar with the ProSonus line and what it has to offer today, I think that I would stay with the ProSonus line.  If I did change, I would want an M32r instead of the X32 Producer.  The reason is that the X32 producer doesn't have scribble strips and if you use the board as a stand alone they are must have especially when using multiple layers on the board.

In the end, it is your choice and both system work well.  If it was me I would stay with what you like the ProSonus.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 09:06:28 PM »

Another consideration - will anyone else mix on this system?  The X32 family is pretty universal.  It's not as cheap, but also check out the A&H SQ5. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 09:11:17 PM »

Of you choices, I would choose "None of the above."  I would go X32 Compact (NOT Producer) or M32R.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 09:14:39 PM »

Comment Removed
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:24:38 PM by William Schnake »
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Art Nadelman

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 07:12:38 AM »

Of you choices, I would choose "None of the above."  I would go X32 Compact (NOT Producer) or M32R.

Totally agree.  The lack of a fader strip makes the X32 Producer untenable, particularly with bigger shows.

But as mentioned above, I'd also recommend the SQ5 over either.  It is rack mountable, has touchscreen, and better sound.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 07:26:50 AM »

Before I read the thread, I was thinking of responding exactly as Bill did.

My thoughts are as follows:

For features and expand ability, the X32/M32 line simply dwarfs the Presonus line.  Another plus is that if you are doing sound for bands, many bands will have a ready USB stick with an X/M32 show ready for you to just plug in and go with.  Not so much with the Presonus.

As bill pointed out, the LCD scribble strips are a must.  I always thought Behringer made a big mistake ommitting them from the Producer.  They did fix this in the M32R which is quite a nice little mixer and really hard to beat "bang for the buck" and you get the MIDAS logo to boot.

If you need it to be small and compact and fit into a standard 19" rack, then I would go with the M32R.  If you are OK with having a desk console, the X32 Compact is a better option since it has a bit more controls than the M32R.

Now .... having said all that, I personally think you might be better served with the X32 Rack .... maybe 2 of them for that matter.  Here is why.

It seems you are comfortable mixing on a tablet.  The X32 Rack can be used as a stage box so that having 2 of them, you can have a full complement of 32XLR inputs and 16 XLR outputs (along with the other inputs getting you to a total of 38 inputs), all in one simple rack.  Having 2 mixers also gives you the opportunity to have redundancy if anything should ever happen to the main mixer (I have never heard of an X32 Rack having issues, but some X32's have had failures .... although they seem pretty few and far between).

If you get the new X-Live card, you can record directly inside the X32 Rack (or any other X32 product for that matter). 

You could also save a bit of money and get an SD16 for around $700 instead of a 2nd X32 rack.

I can not comment on any relative difference in sound quality between Presonus and X32 since I have only had experience with the older model Presonus digital mixers and it is my understanding that the new ones are better.

I won't disagree with the idea that the new SQ5 would have better sound quality; however, it is quite new, and the GUI is a far cry from what the Behringer and presonus applications currently offer.  This may improve in the years to come, but right now it is still a little raw.  I also am uncertain about the internal recording capabilities of the SQ5.  Perhaps someone could chime in with that info?  Additionally, I think it will be quite a bit more expensive if you want 32 XLR inputs since you would also have to add in the price of the stage box.

Good luck!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 09:24:37 AM »

If $3400 is in your budget I would get the full size x32 and a stagebox.

FWIW, I haven't used any presonus gear ever that wasn't broken in some way. That is consoles, outboard gear, midi stuff, everything. I appreciate what Presonus is trying to achieve, but their quality is very suspect IMO.

For the bar market you really can't beat the X32 family. In fact even in the semi-pro market you'll find a ton of acceptability of that desk.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mal Brown

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 12:43:55 PM »

If you can live with 20 in, 12 out.  UI-24r is a very good sounding, very full featured box at $795 from a member of this site. 

I have an SI-1 an Si-3 and the 32x12 stage box.  The Ui is what I grab for anything I can fit in that config.

I also would not ignore the Mackie dl-32.  IMO - second best software in the biz.  The UI-24r software is an elegant concept and is a UI that is easy to grasp.

I am an ex Presonus guy.  Sound quality wise there is no comparison...  the Soundcraft stuff just walks away from what I experienced in Presonus and what I hear in Behringer/Midas.  There is something in the upper mids, lower highs that makes those boards harsh to my ears.

For me, I’m hoping for a UI-48.  I’ll dump the SI rig for that in a heartbeat.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »

Keep in mind that your current mixer is not compatible with series-3 so you can’t use it to expand on your new mixer.

The studiolive has limited fx and does not have any option for expansion cards. AVB is pretty much Mac only so forget about any decent pc running AVB. Also, you can’t run a stagebox and connect it to a Mac using AVB at the same time.

The studiolive has no real routing so you’ll be limited in that respect.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.