ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Very true subs do take the edge off the mid-high range... what would be the most scalable for a hypothetical audiophile type setup for 300-1000 person gigs...

subs with 8" tops to save money
- 0 (0%)
subs with 10" tops to save money
- 2 (13.3%)
subs with 12" tops
- 13 (86.7%)
subs with 15" tops
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF 312a VS. Yamaha DXR 12  (Read 32251 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: RCF 312a VS. Yamaha DXR 12
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2018, 05:29:34 AM »

The seller ordered 1 unit for demonstration and didn't like it or these are dealers posing as individual sellers to avoid the MAP Police.

I can understand them being sold individually priced when new, but I see a lot of secondhand single units being sold.

Steve.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2018, 12:06:32 PM »

I can understand them being sold individually priced when new, but I see a lot of secondhand single units being sold.

Steve.

You'd have to ask the sellers then... but who in audio buys only *1* of any speaker?  Certainly not DJs or bands.  Perhaps purchased by individual musicians to supplement their rig or use as a vocal monitor?  That's about the only music-related reason I can think of... and I'm stumped as to why a lot of people would buy only 1 and then sell it unless it genuinely sucked.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Crump

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2018, 12:49:59 PM »

You'd have to ask the sellers then... but who in audio buys only *1* of any speaker?  Certainly not DJs or bands.  Perhaps purchased by individual musicians to supplement their rig or use as a vocal monitor?  That's about the only music-related reason I can think of... and I'm stumped as to why a lot of people would buy only 1 and then sell it unless it genuinely sucked.

Okay. I am the odd ball here, well actually I am oddball everywhere. But, I have started buying one at a time to test before I commit to buying more. Recently I purchased one Community MX10 and one QSC E10 to compare, before making up "our" mind on which we would use for monitor duty at our venue. For what we are doing the E10 was preferred by the house guitarist, so we have more on the way. As far as the MX10, I will try it out with my next acoustic open mic, might just put it on a shelf, don't know...I hate selling stuff because I hate dealing with low ballers.

I started doing this because several times I have read all these great reviews and then purchased multiples or sets and have been disappointed. (Can't always find a place to listen before purchase). I figured a lot of people give reviews based on price as much as sound quality. Meaning if they can get by with a low cost inferior speaker, then it makes it a "great speaker". So this has made me cautious.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2018, 04:08:36 AM »

You'd have to ask the sellers then... but who in audio buys only *1* of any speaker?

The only explanation I can think of is people are buying them to play music from their phones at a party then selling them after one use.

Steve.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2018, 03:38:38 PM »

Okay. I am the odd ball here, well actually I am oddball everywhere. But, I have started buying one at a time to test before I commit to buying more. Recently I purchased one Community MX10 and one QSC E10 to compare, before making up "our" mind on which we would use for monitor duty at our venue. For what we are doing the E10 was preferred by the house guitarist, so we have more on the way. As far as the MX10, I will try it out with my next acoustic open mic, might just put it on a shelf, don't know...I hate selling stuff because I hate dealing with low ballers.

I started doing this because several times I have read all these great reviews and then purchased multiples or sets and have been disappointed. (Can't always find a place to listen before purchase). I figured a lot of people give reviews based on price as much as sound quality. Meaning if they can get by with a low cost inferior speaker, then it makes it a "great speaker". So this has made me cautious.

Steve, I understand your reason, and it makes sense.  As a dealer, I usually purchase in pairs.  Usually, when the customer buys just one unit, they say they will be back in a month or two to get the mate to it.  Most of the time they never come back for the mate!  Maybe that's why there are so many singles on EBay!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2018, 12:47:35 PM »

Yeah, I've advocated here on the forums for personal auditions but typically suggest ordering from vendors with an accommodating return policy.  I've got a few oddball pieces in our shop that were either purchased for 1 time use or for client evaluations that went a different direction.  Might be time for the Great Plains Audio Garage Sale one of these days.  Oh, wait, I can see it turning into a big swap meet, everyone going home with the same amount of *different stuff* than they came with...  This might not be so good ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2018, 12:50:24 PM »

Steve, I understand your reason, and it makes sense.  As a dealer, I usually purchase in pairs.  Usually, when the customer buys just one unit, they say they will be back in a month or two to get the mate to it.  Most of the time they never come back for the mate!  Maybe that's why there are so many singles on EBay!

That happens on a larger scale, too.  Think of building a vertical array on the "box a month plan."  Long about month 6 or 7 something bad happens that affects income or redirects cash flow to other areas.  The "dash array" never grows further and becomes a limited use, high cost system of dubious acoustic benefit.

Steve Crump

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2018, 03:09:32 PM »

Yeah, I've advocated here on the forums for personal auditions but typically suggest ordering from vendors with an accommodating return policy.  I've got a few oddball pieces in our shop that were either purchased for 1 time use or for client evaluations that went a different direction.  Might be time for the Great Plains Audio Garage Sale one of these days.  Oh, wait, I can see it turning into a big swap meet, everyone going home with the same amount of *different stuff* than they came with...  This might not be so good ;)

Swap meet sounds good. I can always use a match for the MX10 or different "stuff" to put on my shelves.

Makes me think of the comedian talking about a $15,000.00 shed for $1,500.00 worth of "stuff", at least something like that...Of course, with sound gear it is the other way around. A $3,000.00 trailer to house $30,000.00 in gear. At least for a weekender like me. I keep telling my wife if she would let me spend a $100,000.00 on a system that I will stop buying for a while.
She not buying it, since in my sound world all the money that is going out far exceeds the money coming in..
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 03:22:28 PM by Steve Crump »

Steve Crump

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2018, 03:20:30 PM »

Don,

I can see for a dealer such as yourself how this can be a PITA.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2018, 03:20:30 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.