ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Very true subs do take the edge off the mid-high range... what would be the most scalable for a hypothetical audiophile type setup for 300-1000 person gigs...

subs with 8" tops to save money
- 0 (0%)
subs with 10" tops to save money
- 2 (13.3%)
subs with 12" tops
- 13 (86.7%)
subs with 15" tops
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF 312a VS. Yamaha DXR 12  (Read 32253 times)

Joseph Amodeo

RCF 312a VS. Yamaha DXR 12
« on: February 24, 2018, 06:06:43 PM »

I am looking for 2 active speakers (tops) for DJing and my 4 person live band. I have been jamming and playing instruments with friends in my house for years and am sick of not making money... We have collectively decided its time to narrow down a set list and we have have 2 VERY SMALL yet popular local venues (+-100 people) that are ready to let us do some gigs. I also have a DJ setup im looking to gig with at these same venues... I have seen DJ's gig there with 2 EV zlx or elx (i couldn't tell) with absolutely no loudness issues... its basically the only dance floor in town and people with no knowledge audio think of it like a loud club... no one has ever complained about the EV tops loudness...  I have also seen 2 Mackie thumps used without issue there

My main goal is to not have to use subwoofers as much as possible even though it has already been proven by other DJs that play there that subs are not needed for the venues we plan to play (give or take 100 people). If we were to move on to somewhat larger venues (200-250 people) It would be nice to not have to use subs...

Im told the Yamaha DXRs are geared having a nice low end...

but i also have some RCF 312a speakers available for me to buy for under 800 for the pair and I have heard truly great things...

It has become a choice between entry level Yamahas that (apparently) can handle most of your bass needs... vs owning an Italian crafted peice of history...

also what are thoughts about making due with using EV elx or zlx speakers for a 250 person venue

PS. I have a mixing console for all the microphones and instruments etc... and plan to use an electronic drum set (less need for micing) every band i have ever seen in these specific venues has used 2 speakers 2 wedge monitors run through mixing boards.... for DJing i have a Numark NS7 with XLR and RCA outputs... THE INPUT OPTIONS AND FEATURES ON THE YAMAHA AREN'T IMPORTANT TO ME I have a mixing desk for that...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 06:12:51 PM by Joseph Amodeo »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: RCF 312a VS. Yamaha DXR 12
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 09:02:40 PM »

I am looking for 2 active speakers (tops) for DJing and my 4 person live band. I have been jamming and playing instruments with friends in my house for years and am sick of not making money... We have collectively decided its time to narrow down a set list and we have have 2 VERY SMALL yet popular local venues (+-100 people) that are ready to let us do some gigs. I also have a DJ setup im looking to gig with at these same venues... I have seen DJ's gig there with 2 EV zlx or elx (i couldn't tell) with absolutely no loudness issues... its basically the only dance floor in town and people with no knowledge audio think of it like a loud club... no one has ever complained about the EV tops loudness...  I have also seen 2 Mackie thumps used without issue there

My main goal is to not have to use subwoofers as much as possible even though it has already been proven by other DJs that play there that subs are not needed for the venues we plan to play (give or take 100 people). If we were to move on to somewhat larger venues (200-250 people) It would be nice to not have to use subs...

Im told the Yamaha DXRs are geared having a nice low end...

but i also have some RCF 312a speakers available for me to buy for under 800 for the pair and I have heard truly great things...

It has become a choice between entry level Yamahas that (apparently) can handle most of your bass needs... vs owning an Italian crafted peice of history...

also what are thoughts about making due with using EV elx or zlx speakers for a 250 person venue

PS. I have a mixing console for all the microphones and instruments etc... and plan to use an electronic drum set (less need for micing) every band i have ever seen in these specific venues has used 2 speakers 2 wedge monitors run through mixing boards.... for DJing i have a Numark NS7 with XLR and RCA outputs... THE INPUT OPTIONS AND FEATURES ON THE YAMAHA AREN'T IMPORTANT TO ME I have a mixing desk for that...
I'm a fan of real subwoofers, regardless of venue size.   There are very few speakers that play deep enough to consider using without subs, but they also carry a higher price tag.  Such as the Danley SM80F or the SM100F.  DSR112's over some flavor of single 18" subs works well and can scale up for the 250 seat rooms. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 07:23:54 AM »

Explain again why it would be nice to not have subs?

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 07:28:39 AM »

Here in Europe the dxr12 is priced right between a new RCF 712 mk4 and RCF 715 mk4, so maybe 2 of those are a better fit?

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 08:12:18 AM »

There is no way I would run an electronic drum kit without at least one sub.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 10:21:17 AM »

There is no way I would run an electronic drum kit without at least one sub.

Pair of 15" tops to <100 people, maybe.
To the OP, I'd look at something like 8-10" tops over 15" subs. You'll blow away the competing DJs by having some bass that goes below 70Hz. Seriously.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 10:37:55 AM »

Pair of 15" tops to <100 people, maybe.
To the OP, I'd look at something like 8-10" tops over 15" subs. You'll blow away the competing DJs by having some bass that goes below 70Hz. Seriously.

Chris

I don't even like band practice with an electronic kit without a sub, let alone a performance. It just doesn't sound right to me.

Even a cheap Behringer single 15 or 18 is better than nothing below 50Hz. There it's so much content down there that effects how music sounds and feels IMO.

I run a small open mic with (2) iQ8 and (1) iQ15b. Sounds great and break music doesn't sound thin. There's a cheap PA that's easy to haul and deploy.

Steve Crump

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 11:33:37 AM »

Look at the RCF HD12A, better specs than the 312 and I have seen them online in the USA for $540.00 each. Here is one review that I have read.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rcf-hd12a
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:47:06 AM by Steve Crump »

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 02:05:14 PM »

I have seen DJ's gig there with 2 EV zlx or elx (i couldn't tell) with absolutely no loudness issues... its basically the only dance floor in town and people with no knowledge audio think of it like a loud club... no one has ever complained about the EV tops loudness...  I have also seen 2 Mackie thumps used without issue there
Just because that appears to be successful doesn't mean they won't notice if you improve on the norm.

If your band brings stage amplifiers then the PA would only be used to bring the vocals above the stage sound and in that case a pair of PA mains on stands is sufficient. But if the PA has to support everything on stage then subs are not optional, you probably don't need a large sub but any sub effectively turns the PA into a 3-way system and that takes the low bass load off the tops which results in much cleaner vocals so subs are not just about adding thumping bass.

As for DJing without subs... that is just a bad idea IMO regardless of venue size simply because of how bass heavy music is these days. I have a pair of DXR15s which have been used without subs by DJs and I have never heard them sound so bad. These boxes are well known for very good sound but I tell you when a DJ makes them thump everything else turns to mud. So my speaker suggestion is to go with a pair of ZLX12ps but add a sub perhaps the new EV ELX200-18sp, you could also opt for the ELX200-10p to make the system more compact but the ZLX12's are less expensive. I rent out a ZLX12/EKX18 powered combo to DJs all the time doing 100-150 heads and it always does a great job and gets lots of compliments on sound. Another point about these EVs is that they have been 100% reliable for me for several year and hundreds of events, every Mackie speaker I have had died sooner or later and RCF is generally considered a premium brand but if you ever need it repaired you may find that is more difficult than you would expect, just something else to think about.

Steve Crump

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 02:18:50 PM »

RCF is generally considered a premium brand but if you ever need it repaired you may find that is more difficult than you would expect, just something else to think about.
[/quote]

Can't speak for all RCF users, but I sent a Evox 8 back to have a connector replaced. The rep made it quick and painless for me.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 02:18:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 27 queries.